Help Installing MergerFS

DZMM

I'm posting here as I wasn't sure which board this fits in.  I currently use unionfs to combine local files /rclone_upload/google_vfs with gdrive files I mount using rclone /mount_rclone/google_vfs :

unionfs -o cow,allow_other,direct_io,auto_cache,sync_read /mnt/user/rclone_upload/google_vfs=RW:/mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs=RO /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs

I'd like to switch to MergerFS as it supports hardlinking, whereas Unionfs doesn't.  I've installed unionfs via Nerd Pack - can someone give me pointers on how to install Mergerfs please? 

• 6 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 3:10 PM, DZMM said:

Anyone ever installed mergerfs on unRAID? I need it to merge a local folder with a rclone mount.

I was looking exactly to it and found this thread from last year. 

I assume, based on your guide for rclone is that unionFS is the only option for unraid? 

That's a shame. There's really no way to install MergerFS with unraid?

On 4/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, TheFreemancer said:

I was looking exactly to it and found this thread from last year. 

I assume, based on your guide for rclone is that unionFS is the only option for unraid? 

That's a shame. There's really no way to install MergerFS with unraid?

Afraid so.   If you're a rclone user it looks rclone union will get beefed up in 1.48 so I'll be able to ditch unionfs

Edited by DZMM
  • 8 months later...

For those looking for mergerfs for Unraid.

I got super lucky on Reddit & the Mergerfs developer saw our plea for Unraid mergerfs.
https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/eiaq99/alternative_to_unionfs_to_merge_folders_on_unraid/

Result:

He made a docker image for us....once you run, it will build a static image of mergerfs for us to use!
https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/trapexit/mergerfs-static-build

docker run -v /mnt/user/some_unraid_share/mergerfs:/build --rm -it trapexit/mergerfs-static-build

change /mnt/user/some_unraid_share/mergerfs_build_folder ----> an actual location on your unraid OS. After docker run completes and mergerfs is built, you would then likely move/copy it to /bin for active use!

Edited by Stupifier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, DZMM said:

Thanks for getting this created - you'll make a lot of users happy when they see this.

I'm not sure how to use though.  Once I've created the docker, can I create mergerfs mounts/drives?  I don't understand the bit about moving to /bin?

5 hours ago, BRiT said:

I think that docker is just setup to be able to compile and build the mergerfs binaries. Once its built, you would bundle the artifacts into a plugin and hosted on line like github and others would use that plugin to install mergerfs for unraid.

1. in unraid terminal, run the command I code-blocked (changing the path like I said)
  2. It will create a static mergerfs binary in the path you told it to. It's done. The container isn't running in background or anything like that.....it's done.
  3. That binary IS mergerfs.....all self-contained in one file. while you are in that directory in terminal....you can even mergerfs --version and it will spit out version and everything. I said to copy/move it to /bin because that is where binary files go which you intend to use. When a binary is in /bin.....you can execute it from anywhere (just like unionfs/rclone/etc).

I have no experience with bundling or creating unraid plugins like BRiT suggests.....but that really isn't necessary to get this working. All you have to do is run that command I codeblocked.....mergerfs created!

Make sense @DZMM? I think you were just over-complicating it.

Edited by Stupifier
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Stupifier said:

1. in unraid terminal, run the command I code-blocked (changing the path like I said)
  2. It will create a static mergerfs binary in the path you told it to. It's done. The container isn't running in background or anything like that.....it's done.
  3. That binary IS mergerfs.....all self-contained in one file. while you are in that directory in terminal....you can even mergerfs --version and it will spit out version and everything. I said to copy/move it to /bin because that is where binary files go which you intend to use. When a binary is in /bin.....you can execute it from anywhere (just like unionfs/rclone/etc).

I have no experience with bundling or creating unraid plugins like BRiT suggests.....but that really isn't necessary to get this working. All you have to do is run that command I codeblocked.....mergerfs created!

Make sense @DZMM? I think you were just over-complicating it.

not over-complicating, just showing how dumb I can be!  I got it working and playing with now - thanks!

19 minutes ago, DZMM said:

not over-complicating, just showing how dumb I can be!  I got it working and playing with now - thanks!

Let me know if it does what you want....I figure you could update your rclone thread for all those interested.

I know you love to do the whole mergerfs/unionfs stuff between local and rclone gdrive....and mergerfs is faster, more robust, and handles deletions/renames much better than unionfs.

I personally only use mergerfs on my remote server (not Unraid) for local/rclone_gdrive stuff. I'm familiar with it...just don't use it on unraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea how to make the mergerFS file to stay persistently in /bin/ after a reboot? I make the file in /mnt/user/share/name and copy it to /bin, but after a reboot, it's gone from /bin, but survived inside /mnt/user/share/name...

Also, anyone have any idea on how to make it readable from an NFS Client (Proxmox)? noforget and use_ino doesn't allow it..

Edited by joshbgosh10592
Type in mergerFS file
On 1/17/2020 at 7:32 PM, joshbgosh10592 said:

Any idea how to make the mergerFS file to stay persistently in /bin/ after a reboot? I make the file in /mnt/user/share/name and copy it to /bin, but after a reboot, it's gone from /bin, but survived inside /mnt/user/share/name...

You cannot. The unRAID OS is unpacked fresh into RAM from the flash drive on each boot. Any modifications made to the OS (read files added or changes that are not on the array) are lost on reboot. The correct way of getting something "persistent" is to either package it as an unRAID plugin or to create a script (with the user.scripts plugin) that runs at bootup and re-applies your changes to the OS.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to necro a slightly outdated thread, but wanted to add that you can also use the unRAID Go file in the config to achieve this and would likely be the best option. You could (depending on the size) simply store this somewhere on the UR USB boot drive, and set the go file to copy this into the bin folder. I’ll be checking this out as well since I’d like to also use mergerfs along with some rclone magic. Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by 1activegeek
3 hours ago, 1activegeek said:

Sorry to necro a slightly outdated thread, but wanted to add that you can also use the unRAID Go file in the config to achieve this and would likely be the best option. You could (depending on the size) simply store this somewhere on the UR USB boot drive, and set the go file to copy this into the bin folder. I’ll be checking this out as well since I’d like to also use mergerfs along with some rclone magic. Thanks for the help guys!

The OP already wrote an excellent set of script to integrate rclone + mergerfs to Unraid. Have a look so you won't waste time.

22 minutes ago, 1activegeek said:

I think I was thrown off by his post though, as under the changelog it says:

3/1/20 - switched from mergerfs to unionfs

Though it looks like in the script and GitHub page he mentions MergerFS, so I'm not sure. Perhaps I'll DM him. 

That was a typo. It's using mergerfs now. First line of the post.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks so much for this script DZMM.

Just a few things: I'm an idiot and it took me forever to get hardlinks working but for anyone else who makes the same error, you need to:

download to /mnt/user/downloads/mount_mergerfs/gcrypt/radarr in order to hardlink to /mnt/user/downloads/mount_mergerfs/gcrypt/hardlink

i was doing the following (WRONG😞

download to /mnt/user/downloads/mount_mergerfs/temp in order to hardlink to /mnt/user/downloads/mount_mergerfs/gcrypt/hardlink

it is the gcrypt (or whatever you named it in ur config, default gdrive_vfs) folder that is linked.

anyway,

I'm having a bit of an issue with the docker start portion of the script. When I run it, despite all containers having autostart off, I still get:

INFO: dockers already started.

any ideas?

edit: just want to clarify that i meant this occurs at the start of the array, which is when i have the script set to run.

Edited by oldsweatyman
30 minutes ago, oldsweatyman said:

INFO: dockers already started.

look in the /mnt/user/appdata/other/rclone/remote/your_remote_name folder and delete the dockers_started file.  or, run the unmount script.

If you need more help use the main thread.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Am i the only one with

docker run -v /mnt/user/appdata/other/mergerfs:/build --rm trapexit/mergerfs-static-build
fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.10/main/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.10/community/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
v3.10.9-43-g3feb769ea3 [http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.10/main]
v3.10.6-10-ged79a86de3 [http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.10/community]
OK: 10351 distinct packages available
(1/6) Installing ca-certificates (20191127-r2)
(2/6) Installing nghttp2-libs (1.39.2-r1)
(3/6) Installing libcurl (7.66.0-r4)
(4/6) Installing expat (2.2.8-r0)
(5/6) Installing pcre2 (10.33-r0)
(6/6) Installing git (2.22.5-r0)
Executing busybox-1.30.1-r2.trigger
Executing ca-certificates-20191127-r2.trigger
OK: 21 MiB in 20 packages
Cloning into 'mergerfs'...
Note: checking out '2.37.0'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

git checkout -b <new-branch-name>

HEAD is now at dd7e9e2 Merge pull request #1244 from trapexit/docs
(1/50) Upgrading musl (1.1.22-r3 -> 1.1.22-r4)
(2/50) Installing fakeroot (1.23-r0)
(3/50) Installing sudo (1.9.5p2-r0)
(4/50) Installing libcap (2.27-r0)
(5/50) Installing pax-utils (1.2.3-r0)
(6/50) Installing openssl (1.1.1k-r0)
(7/50) Installing libattr (2.4.48-r0)
(8/50) Installing attr (2.4.48-r0)
(9/50) Installing tar (1.32-r1)
(10/50) Installing pkgconf (1.6.1-r1)
(11/50) Installing patch (2.7.6-r6)
(12/50) Installing libgcc (8.3.0-r0)
(13/50) Installing libstdc++ (8.3.0-r0)
(14/50) Installing lzip (1.21-r0)
(15/50) Installing curl (7.66.0-r4)
(16/50) Installing abuild (3.4.0-r0)
Executing abuild-3.4.0-r0.pre-install
(17/50) Installing m4 (1.4.18-r1)
(18/50) Installing libbz2 (1.0.6-r7)
(19/50) Installing perl (5.28.3-r0)
(20/50) Installing autoconf (2.69-r2)
(21/50) Installing automake (1.16.1-r0)
(22/50) Installing binutils (2.32-r1)
(23/50) Installing gmp (6.1.2-r1)
(24/50) Installing isl (0.18-r0)
(25/50) Installing libgomp (8.3.0-r0)
(26/50) Installing libatomic (8.3.0-r0)
(27/50) Installing mpfr3 (3.1.5-r1)
(28/50) Installing mpc1 (1.1.0-r0)
(29/50) Installing gcc (8.3.0-r0)
(30/50) Installing musl-dev (1.1.22-r4)
(31/50) Installing libc-dev (0.7.1-r0)
(32/50) Installing g++ (8.3.0-r0)
(33/50) Installing gettext-asprintf (0.19.8.1-r4)
(34/50) Installing libintl (0.19.8.1-r4)
(35/50) Installing libunistring (0.9.10-r0)
(36/50) Installing gettext-libs (0.19.8.1-r4)
(37/50) Installing ncurses-terminfo-base (6.1_p20190518-r2)
(38/50) Installing ncurses-libs (6.1_p20190518-r2)
(39/50) Installing libxml2 (2.9.9-r5)
(40/50) Installing gettext (0.19.8.1-r4)
(41/50) Installing gettext-dev (0.19.8.1-r4)
(42/50) Installing perl-error (0.17027-r0)
(43/50) Installing perl-git (2.22.5-r0)
(44/50) Installing git-perl (2.22.5-r0)
(45/50) Installing readline (8.0.0-r0)
(46/50) Installing bash (5.0.0-r0)
Executing bash-5.0.0-r0.post-install
(47/50) Installing libltdl (2.4.6-r6)
(48/50) Installing libtool (2.4.6-r6)
(49/50) Installing linux-headers (4.19.36-r0)
(50/50) Installing make (4.2.1-r2)
Executing busybox-1.30.1-r2.trigger
OK: 238 MiB in 69 packages
make DEBUG= -C libfuse
make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp/mergerfs/libfuse'
mkdir -p build
touch build/stamp
ecfd/build | tee build/config.h
#ifndef CONFIG_H_INCLUDED
#define CONFIG_H_INCLUDED

#define HAVE_FORK
/tmp/mergerfs/libfuse/ecfd/tests/HAVE_MALLOC_TRIM.c: In function 'main':
/tmp/mergerfs/libfuse/ecfd/tests/HAVE_MALLOC_TRIM.c:6:3: warning: implicit declaration of function 'malloc_trim'; did you mean 'malloc'? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
   malloc_trim(0);
   ^~~~~~~~~~~
   malloc
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-alpine-linux-musl/8.3.0/../../../../x86_64-alpine-linux-musl/bin/ld: /tmp/ccBnODge.o: in function `main':
HAVE_MALLOC_TRIM.c:(.text+0xf): undefined reference to `malloc_trim'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
#define HAVE_STRUCT_STAT_ST_ATIM
#define HAVE_UTIMENSAT

#endif
make build/buffer.o build/crc32b.o build/debug.o build/fuse.o build/fuse_dirents.o build/fuse_lowlevel.o build/node.o build/fuse_node.o build/fuse_opt.o build/fuse_session.o build/fuse_signals.o build/helper.o build/mount.o build/syslog.o build/format.o build/os.o build/cpu.o build/fuse_config.o build/fuse_loop.o build/fuse_msgbuf.o
make[2]: Entering directory '/tmp/mergerfs/libfuse'
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/buffer.c -o build/buffer.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/crc32b.c -o build/crc32b.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/debug.c -o build/debug.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/fuse.c -o build/fuse.o
lib/fuse.c: In function 'fuse_invalidate_all_nodes':
lib/fuse.c:3902:3: warning: implicit declaration of function 'syslog_info'; did you mean 'psiginfo'? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
   syslog_info("invalidating file entries");
   ^~~~~~~~~~~
   psiginfo
lib/fuse.c: In function 'add_name':
lib/fuse.c:807:3: warning: 'strncpy' output truncated before terminating nul copying as many bytes from a string as its length [-Wstringop-truncation]
   strncpy(s,name,len);
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lib/fuse.c:781:16: note: length computed here
   size_t len = strlen(name);
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/fuse_dirents.c -o build/fuse_dirents.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/fuse_lowlevel.c -o build/fuse_lowlevel.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/node.c -o build/node.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/fuse_node.c -o build/fuse_node.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/fuse_opt.c -o build/fuse_opt.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/fuse_session.c -o build/fuse_session.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/fuse_signals.c -o build/fuse_signals.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/helper.c -o build/helper.o
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/mount.c -o build/mount.o
In file included from lib/mount_generic.c:22,
                 from lib/mount.c:22:
/usr/include/sys/poll.h:1:2: warning: #warning redirecting incorrect #include <sys/poll.h> to <poll.h> [-Wcpp]
 #warning redirecting incorrect #include <sys/poll.h> to <poll.h>
  ^~~~~~~
cc -O2  -std=gnu99 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/syslog.c -o build/syslog.o
g++   -std=c++11 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/format.cpp -o build/format.o
g++   -std=c++11 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/os.cpp -o build/os.o
g++   -std=c++11 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/cpu.cpp -o build/cpu.o
g++   -std=c++11 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/fuse_config.cpp -o build/fuse_config.o
g++   -std=c++11 -Wall -pipe -MMD -Iinclude -Ibuild -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.9.7-mergerfs_2.30.0\" -DFUSERMOUNT_DIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -c lib/fuse_loop.cpp -o build/fuse_loop.o
In file included from lib/fuse_loop.cpp:10:
lib/thread_pool.hpp: In static member function 'static std::__cxx11::string ThreadPool::get_thread_name(std::__cxx11::string)':
lib/thread_pool.hpp:102:5: error: 'pthread_getname_np' was not declared in this scope
     pthread_getname_np(pthread_self(),name,sizeof(name));
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lib/thread_pool.hpp:102:5: note: suggested alternative: 'pthread_setname_np'
     pthread_getname_np(pthread_self(),name,sizeof(name));
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     pthread_setname_np
lib/thread_pool.hpp: In lambda function:
lib/thread_pool.hpp:197:7: error: 'pthread_getname_np' was not declared in this scope
       pthread_getname_np(t,name,sizeof(name));
       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lib/thread_pool.hpp:197:7: note: suggested alternative: 'pthread_setname_np'
       pthread_getname_np(t,name,sizeof(name));
       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       pthread_setname_np
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/mergerfs/libfuse'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:126: build/fuse_loop.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/mergerfs/libfuse'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:105: objects] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:257: libfuse] Error 2
strip: 'build/mergerfs': No such file
/tmp/build-mergerfs: line 18: build/mergerfs: not found
cp: can't stat 'build/mergerfs': No such file or directory

Was running fine for years...?

#!/bin/bash
rm /bin/mergerfs
sleep 10
docker run -v /mnt/user/appdata/other/mergerfs:/build --rm trapexit/mergerfs-static-build
mv /mnt/user/appdata/other/mergerfs/mergerfs /bin

there was a update 1 day ago maybe it broke it?

Edited by nuhll
1 minute ago, trapexit said:

1) 2.37.0 isn't released yet so technically you're on your own.

2) I provide static builds now so you could just use those

3) I updated the build image yesterday just for this reason. You have to pull the new version of the image if you want it to work. Apparently MUSL 4 years ago didn't support features I'm using. https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs/issues/1246

hey,

thanks for your fast support.

I would use it, if  i knew how. 😁

U say u fixed it yesterday, but why i get these errors when building it NOW?

Edited by nuhll