SATA Card Question

Hey guys!

I recently built my first unRAID Server.  Unfortunately, the motherboard I selected, only has 6 SATA headers, 4 of those only beinbg SATA II, and 2 of them being SATA III.

So obviously, I want to add more HDD's to my system, and also get off of those SATA II Ports, which means I'll need a PCIe SATA Controller Card.

I've found this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0177GBY0Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1C54F8LN6PEOV&psc=1

It looks nice, but it states its not for high performance drives, It also states a data transfer rate of 6 GBps?  Thats the transfer rate of a single SATA III Lane.  I'm wondering if that's the transfer speed of the entire card?  Anyone know?  It appears it isn't the fastest with the "Compliant with 10Gbps x2 PCI Express 2.0"

Does anyone have any recommendations?  Currently I have 2 of my 8 HDD Bays populated, but I want room to upgrade, hence my looking at a larger one.

Anyone have any recommendations for my use-case?

4 minutes ago, nexusjosh said:

and also get off of those SATA II Ports

SATA2 is enough for current disks, SSDs are a different story.

4 minutes ago, nexusjosh said:

Avoid that, it's a 2 port SATA controller connected to two port multipliers, it's not recommended due to bad performance, with 10 disks with will max out at around 80MB/s per port, so much slower than your onboard SATA2 ports that can handle around 275MB/s each, also they are prone to time outs and similar errors.

If you need more than six ports get an LSI HBA, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

6 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

SATA2 is enough for current disks, SSDs are a different story.

Avoid that, it's a 2 port SATA controller connected to two port multipliers, it's not recommended due to bad performance, with 10 disks with will max out at around 80MB/s per port, so much slower than your onboard SATA2 ports that can handle around 275MB/s each, also they are prone to time outs and similar errors.

If you need more than six ports get an LSI HBA, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

Cool.  I will steer clear then.  Do you have a recommendation?