Windows 10 Not Finding Server

2 minutes ago, Jake Lowe said:

How would you access the files in a web browser?

Who said anything about a browser ;) ?  In this context Explorer means Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.   Microsoft have in many environments broken finding  servers by name, but putting \\ip_address in the address bar should show you the shares on the server.  

The problem is that Microsoft is phasing out SMBv1 support, which is used for discovery by Windows Explorer.  You can still enable it via "Windows Features".  Microsoft uses another protocol called 'ws-discovery' instead, for which there is no linux equivalent at present.

Note this only affects discovery, you can still access your server by typing

\\Tower

in the Windows Explorer address bar.  Of course use your server name.

We are monitoring this issue and eventually a proper solution will be implemented.

22 hours ago, Jake Lowe said:

It finds the Server but does not connect to it.

Server PRBLM.PNG

I have this very same issue but the strange thing is I have 2 pc's 10 feet apart on the same switch and 1 shows and allows access to my server and the other is the very same issue you describe above and for the life of me cannot figure it out

14 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

I have this very same issue but the strange thing is I have 2 pc's 10 feet apart on the same switch and 1 shows and allows access to my server and the other is the very same issue you describe above and for the life of me cannot figure it out

The exact same thing with me. Very frustrating. 

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Check if Windows is requiring SMB signing, use Windows Powershell and type:

Get-SmbClientConfiguration  | fl EnableSecuritySignature,RequireSecuritySignature

Default and correct is:

EnableSecuritySignature  : True
RequireSecuritySignature : False

If RequireSecuritySignature is true that's your problem.

My response is 

Get-SmbClientConfiguration : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ''.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-SmbClientConfiguration  | fl EnableSecuritySignature,RequireSecu ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-SmbClientConfiguration], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Get-SmbClientConfiguration

38 minutes ago, Jake Lowe said:

My response is 

Get-SmbClientConfiguration : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ''.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-SmbClientConfiguration  | fl EnableSecuritySignature,RequireSecu ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-SmbClientConfiguration], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Get-SmbClientConfiguration

There was an extra space that it didnt like. Try this:

Get-SmbClientConfiguration | fl EnableSecuritySignature,RequireSecuritySignature

12 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Check if Windows is requiring SMB signing, use Windows Powershell and type:

Get-SmbClientConfiguration  | fl EnableSecuritySignature,RequireSecuritySignature

Default and correct is:

EnableSecuritySignature  : True
RequireSecuritySignature : False

If RequireSecuritySignature is true that's your problem.

Thanks for the attempt JB but mine came back correct will continue to follow in the event someone finds the holy grail!

1 hour ago, mrbilky said:

will continue to follow in the event someone finds the holy grail!

That is it, there are many reasons for SMB issues, not likely to find the holy grail that will fix the problem for everyone, and the problem is almost certainly on the Windows side, some setting that was changed or not working as it should, I bet that if you did a clean Windows install it would work without any issues.

A few more things to try:

-Check SMB3 is enable on Windows, on powershell type:

sc.exe qc lanmanworkstation

Look for MRxSmb20 on the dependencies, it shouldn't be just MRxSmb10 or both.

-Disable SMB1 on Windows, though Unraid still works with SMB1 it's very unsafe to use and Unraid has no problem with SMB3, so unless there's a very good reason to keep it disable SMB1:

Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> SMB 1.0/CIFS File sharing support -> Uncheck

-increase Samba logging on Unraid: Settings -> SMB -> SMB extras

log level = 3
logging = syslog

Click apply then try to connect from your desktop and check the syslog to see if any errors are logged.

Also worth checking Windows logs, though only a limited number of errors are logged:

Event viewer -> Application and Services logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> SMBClient -> Connectivity

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That is it, there are many reasons for SMB issues, not likely to find the holy grail that will fix the problem for everyone, and the problem is almost certainly on the Windows side, some setting that was changed or not working as it should, I bet that if you did a clean Windows install it would work without any issues.

A few more things to try:

-Check SMB3 is enable on Windows, on powershell type:

sc.exe qc lanmanworkstation

Look for MRxSmb20 on the dependencies, it shouldn't be just MRxSmb10 or both.

-Disable SMB1 on Windows, though Unraid still works with SMB1 it's very unsafe to use and Unraid has no problem with SMB3, so unless there's a very good reason to keep it disable SMB1:

Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> SMB 1.0/CIFS File sharing support -> Uncheck

-increase Samba logging on Unraid: Settings -> SMB -> SMB extras

log level = 3
logging = syslog

Click apply then try to connect from your desktop and check the syslog to see if any errors are logged.

Also worth checking Windows logs, though only a limited number of errors are logged:

Event viewer -> Application and Services logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> SMBClient -> Connectivity

Will do, the thing is both machines were actually built in the same week both AMD both with fresh retail windows keys and one access's the server fine and the other does not open it but see's it