get latest verson of manjaro to run in a vm

hi there 1st post here. i have seen a psot about getting manjaro to run on unraid. however i dont seam to have alot of luck right now as it boots fine and i select boot manjaro gnome and it gets stuck at starting tls startup/shutdown as i wait then come back hours later and its still there. i came across a similar issue here from a while back.

i did find a intresting idea in the simliar problem that says

Disabling MHWD to avoid VESA fallback

Issue was due to MHWD running during boot creating a fallback xorg conf setting the driver to vesa which is not supported on EFI systems. It’s not clear if the Manjaro devs will address the behaviour but it can be worked around by disabling MHWD from running during boot. At the boot selection prompt, press e and add to the end systemd.mask=mhwd-live.service. X will detect and handle drivers itself fine, the kernel driver for the VGA device lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2 should show itself in use.

but im not sure how to do this

i have tired the seabios option but again makes no difference. i have tried a fresh iso incase it was corrupted. i know the iso works fine as i installed it successfully in VirtualBox. i then tried to convert the vmdk from VirtualBox where manjaro is installed, to a img but got a error even though it worked fine here https://youtu.be/i3vwevALaLU?t=596

i dono if its because its something different or what but i did feel it was worth a go.

so has anyone got this to work on unraid or even any arch based distro? i have chosen the arch vm template as manjaro is based on arch so it should work but in my case not quite.

any ideas?

thank-you

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 12:50 PM, thehacker said:

hi there 1st post here. i have seen a psot about getting manjaro to run on unraid. however i dont seam to have alot of luck right now as it boots fine and i select boot manjaro gnome and it gets stuck at starting tls startup/shutdown as i wait then come back hours later and its still there. i came across a similar issue here from a while back.

i did find a intresting idea in the simliar problem that says

Disabling MHWD to avoid VESA fallback

Issue was due to MHWD running during boot creating a fallback xorg conf setting the driver to vesa which is not supported on EFI systems. It’s not clear if the Manjaro devs will address the behaviour but it can be worked around by disabling MHWD from running during boot. At the boot selection prompt, press e and add to the end systemd.mask=mhwd-live.service. X will detect and handle drivers itself fine, the kernel driver for the VGA device lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2 should show itself in use.

but im not sure how to do this

i have tired the seabios option but again makes no difference. i have tried a fresh iso incase it was corrupted. i know the iso works fine as i installed it successfully in VirtualBox. i then tried to convert the vmdk from VirtualBox where manjaro is installed, to a img but got a error even though it worked fine here https://youtu.be/i3vwevALaLU?t=596

i dono if its because its something different or what but i did feel it was worth a go.

so has anyone got this to work on unraid or even any arch based distro? i have chosen the arch vm template as manjaro is based on arch so it should work but in my case not quite.

any ideas?

thank-you

ive added some additional notes in the topic you linked to, in short yes i have the latest Manjaro release running on unRAID 6.6.3 without switching to SeaBIOS, any questions you might have might be better in that thread, to try and keep things together for any other future manjaro users.