HBA install, drive rebuilds

RESOLVED

Thanks to the advice from my having 2.2TB of my 6TB drives being seen I got an HBA (LSI SAS 9207-8i) installed and it sees 6TB on the drives now.

Problem: Before the HBA I had one 6TB drive (2.2TB formatted) as parity and the other as a data drive.  I want them recognized for the full 6TB.

Do I just follow The Parity Swap Procedure?  I've started down that route but run into "multiple drives incorrect error," I think.  Before I give it another go I wanted to be sure this is the right approach.

FWIW, my other three data drives are smaller than 2.2TB so I can't just move the parity to one of those.

RESOLVED

Edited by kanwisch

Unraid 6.x.  Drive config here, let me know if there's other config you're asking about.  Note that the linked thread in the OP had a full troubleshoot dump attached IIRC.

• Data drives
    • (2) 2TB drives, one with data the other empty
    • (1) 6TB drives formatted to 2.2TB.
    • (1) 500MB drive.
  • Parity drive
    • (1) 6TB drive formatted to 2.2 TB.
  • Cache drive
    • (1) 500MB SSD

When I pull the SATA cable (connected to the motherboard) off the existing parity and plug it into the HBA it won't spin up the array.  I'm kind of excited I might be missing something incredibly simple!

Since there will be two wrong disks you can't use the parity swap procedure, you can do a new config and the 2.2TB data disk resize to 6TB, but Unraid will complain of an invalid partition and will need to re-format the disk so if there's already some data there backup first, though if you're still on v6.2 like the other thread diags indicate, Unraid will just resize the partition and shouldn't need to format, still if there's data there backup first.

Thanks, that was partially helpful.  So I told the system to set a New Configuration and didn't save any slots.  One of the drives was RieserFS (not xfs) but holds all my data.  Now the array describes it as "unmountable."  The only option it seems to give me is to format the drive which I most certainly do NOT want to do.  How do I get the array to recognize the drive once the new parity is finished?

To be clear, this one drive it says isn't mountable is the ONLY drive which has data I care about.

Once the parity is built, stop the array, click on the disk in question, and change the format type to ReiserFS instead of Auto.

When you get the drive readable, the first thing I would do is copy the data on to a different disk, one that is formatted xfs or btrfs, whichever you prefer. ReiserFS will probably give you issues.

Also, just because parity is built successfully, you still need to do a parity check to make sure everything is healthy. Parity build doesn't verify that the data was written to the parity drive, it just trusts that because the write didn't fail, it was successful.

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Once the parity is built, stop the array, click on the disk in question, and change the format type to ReiserFS instead of Auto.

When you get the drive readable, the first thing I would do is copy the data on to a different disk, one that is formatted xfs or btrfs, whichever you prefer. ReiserFS will probably give you issues.

Also, just because parity is built successfully, you still need to do a parity check to make sure everything is healthy. Parity build doesn't verify that the data was written to the parity drive, it just trusts that because the write didn't fail, it was successful.

Perfect, easy-peasy.  I recall the Auto setting now that you mention it from back when I first setup the system years ago.  Thanks again all for the help through this, now that I see how it goes it'll be way easier to upgrade the parity and a data drive next go-round.

As usual, I'll mark SOLVED once things are settled tomorrow.

16 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Auto should work, you should post your diagnostics.

One would think but it didn't.  Just shut the array down, altered the disk to ReiserFS, restarted it and the disk was seen.  Check Parity in progress.  Also of note is that I've run into that before and the force to ReiserFS solved it.  Wouldn't my previous diagnostics give what's needed?  I'm happy to help quality improve for the community but not excited about intentionally forcing the disk off the array by going backwards.