Question of Unraid behavior when cpu pinning used

Good Morning Guys!

I was looking for answers for the question above. But so far, wasn‘t able to find something usefull 

If I would Pin 2 Cores to an VM, they are reservated for it and used by the VM.  The Rest of the cores would be used by Unraid as it is necessary. So far so good...

But what happens to these two cores when the VM is shut down?

Are they still not available or will they go back to the Rest and can be used from Unraid for other  tasks?

Greets

If you pin 2 cores to a VM you only tell unRaid which cores are allowed to be used by the VM. As long as you don't isolate the cores on top of pinning them, Unraid, Docker, Plugins and other VMs can be using the same cores at the same time. If you isolate single cores they won't be used for anything until you specific pin them to a Docker Container or a VM. A real good explanation how it works and how to configure it you can find at Spaceinvader One's Youtube Videos. 

• Like 1

Exactly. If you wanna isolate them you can find the setting under settings >> cpu pinning all the way on the bottom. As you can see, i isolated 8 cores and it's threads so only my Gaming VM are able to access them. Keep in mind core 0 will always be used by Unraid itself to manage stuff. You can't isolate this core and pin that one is also not a good idea because unraid always is doin some stuff in the backgroud which can hurt your performance.

isolating.thumb.JPG.8c90f1114718c452b3c0825b988bde50.JPG

• Like 1

Supermicro X11SPL-f

xeon Silver 4110

32 GB ECC Ram

5x4 TB Ironwolf and 2 TB Ironwolf for Time Machine

2x240 GB SSD for Cache

Test Box was an old HP DC7800 and was limited by 3 SATA Connectors. 

The new pinning function seems to be great. On the test box I had 6.5.3 until it broke

Edited by Mikey160984

You don't see my specs under each comment? 🤨

CPU:          1950x locked at 3,9GHz @1.15V
Mobo:        ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming
RAM:         4x16GB TridentZ 3200MHz
GPU:         EVGA 1050ti + Asus Strix 1080ti
Storage:    960 EVO 500GB NVME (Cache); 850 EVO 1TB SSD (Steam); 960 Pro 512GB NVME; 3x WD Red 3TB (Storage)