2.5" HDD for Array parity

Kich902
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi Guys,

Planning on using the Phanteks P400s case and as it only has 2 bays for SSDs and 2 for HDDs i intend on having x2 3.5" 2Tb HDD with a 2.5" 2Tb HDD as the parity drive in the array. Is this advisable?

The cache drives will be x2 M.2 500Gb placed on the motherboard that I'll be using.

Edited by Kich902

I run 2x 2.5in 2TB drives with no issues so far.

36 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It will work but avoid SMR disks, which most 2.5" 2TB are, AFAIK only the Toshiba is PMR, both current Seagate and WD options are SMR.

Why do you advise avoiding SMR disks? That contradicts the information on the Seagate drives.

Edited by whipdancer
3 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Why are you using such low capacity drives?

You would get much better performance and double the capacity with a pair of good 8TB 3.5" than you will with the combination you currently proposed.

Financial constraints my friend; working with what i can afford:) Plus the Rig will be only for VMs so i don't need such large drives as will not be installing dockers nor doing downloads on it, got a NAS for that. But just out of curiosity which would you suggest?

Edited by Kich902
13 minutes ago, Kich902 said:

the 3.5" drives will be Seagate Baracuda https://amzn.to/2p0pRfn and the 2.5" drive will be (by your prior advice) a toshiba https://amzn.to/2yK2wSr

Mixing drives won't be a problem, but the array will be a little slower (mostly noticeable during parity checks and disk rebuilds) than if if you used all 3.5" new drives like the ones you linked, e.g. parity check will start at around 140MB/s instead of 200MB/s.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

Mixing drives won't be a problem, but the array will be a little slower (mostly noticeable during parity checks and disk rebuilds) than if if you used all 3.5" new drives like the ones you linked, e.g. parity check will start at around 140MB/s instead of 200MB/s.

Ok. so which would you suggest since in the case will only have 2 bays or 3.5" drives and want to have 3 drives in the array-1 parity and 2 for the data. Initially planned on just 2 but wanted a third to increase the data safety incase the 1 failed.

3 minutes ago, Kich902 said:

Financial constraints my friend; working with what i can afford:) But just out of curiosity which would you suggest?

If you can wait until the holiday sales, you should be able to pick up easily shuckable 8TB easystore at best buy for around 130 each, I got 3 last year for $119 each plus tax. There are threads on this forum discussing it.

10 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

If you can wait until the holiday sales, you should be able to pick up easily shuckable 8TB easystore at best buy for around 130 each, I got 3 last year for $119 each plus tax. There are threads on this forum discussing it.

If only that were possible. Planning on the build for next year whenever it'l be possible. Hoping i'l be around mid but will depend on the availability of funds.