unRaid locking up

Hello, I'm new in the unRaid world, awesome software, but I have some problems, the system sometimes freezes and I can not access it remotely via web interface, I noticed that I can recreate the freeze by starting a preclear on three hard drives that I'm preparing for the system. As soon as the preclear is started after a while it does not respond any more and in the monitor appear lines in loop (video attached)

I also attached the log made with CA Fix, I hope it goes well

spec:

CPU: Ryzen 1200
Motherboard: Asrock B450M PRO
RAM: a bank of G.skill 8gb 2400mhz borrowed from the desktop PC (already performed a passage with memtest)
HDD: 4x WD RED 3TB 2x new 2x used by an old synology

I have already set zenstates

FCPsyslog_tail.txt

nas-diagnostics-20181017-1035.zip

EDIT: 

what I've tried until now:

Installed hard disk and usb stick on my dekstop with intel 6600k, started unRaid and pleclear, everything ok without any problem.

Returned on ryzen, same problem, tried to change ram module, ram slot, removed the intel NIC that I had added, reset the bios but nothing.

Edited by Luke_95vl

Some random comments and questions:

1--  You should run memtst for 24 hours.  A single pass will not catch all problems.  

2--  Is this a new system?  All new parts, or a recycling of components, or a combination of the two?

3-- What happens if you just let it run without running a simultaneous preclear on several disks? (If I read between the lines, it would seem like the problem still occurs.)

4--  Try booting into the safe mode and see if that helps.

Finding the cause of these types of problems is often difficult.  Most of the time, they are hardware related but a couple have been caused issues in the latest release by packages from the 'Nerd Tools'  plugin. 

Edited by Frank1940
54 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

1--  You should run memtst for 24 hours.  A single pass will not catch all problems.  

tonight I put it under test, but changing module ram the error persists and shows up immediately once the preclear started, I do not think both are defective

2--  Is this a new system?  All new parts, or a recycling of components, or a combination of the two?

Combination, only the ram that comes from my pc dekstop that I use daily and two hard drives that I used on a synology are used

3-- What happens if you just let it run without running a simultaneous preclear on several disks? (If I read between the lines, it would seem like the problem still occurs.) 

Similar errors gave them to me earlier but I think they were related to the ryzen C6 states

Edited by Luke_95vl
1 minute ago, Luke_95vl said:

now I try a memtest, however the crash is reproducible even after 30 seconds starting the preclear on all drives. I could try to change motherboard

An easier test would be to replace the power supply.  I had similar issues once on my desktop PC.  The system would start up fine, but, as soon as there was a moderate to heavy load, all sorts of thing started going wrong and I had to hard reboot the system.

I though at first it was a RAM problem and tested each stick in each slot.  All four RAM sticks passed the tests.  My next test was to replace the PSU with one from another PC.  The problems went away, so, I ordered a new PSU and have had no further issues.

You may have a motherboard issue, but, eliminate the PSU as a potential problem first.  If it is the PSU, a new motherboard will not help you.

4 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Quick glance at the spec sheets for this MB showed that there are specific recommendations on DDR4 memory and which slots it has to be installed in. 

yep, installed as per manual

21 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

An easier test would be to replace the power supply.  I had similar issues once on my desktop PC.  The system would start up fine, but, as soon as there was a moderate to heavy load, all sorts of thing started going wrong and I had to hard reboot the system.

I though at first it was a RAM problem and tested each stick in each slot.  All four RAM sticks passed the tests.  My next test was to replace the PSU with one from another PC.  The problems went away, so, I ordered a new PSU and have had no further issues.

You may have a motherboard issue, but, eliminate the PSU as a potential problem first.  If it is the PSU, a new motherboard will not help you.

thanks for the suggestion, I'll try

• 1 month later...

I have had a similar issue, although my system locks up just as it finishes parity sync. I am using the B450M Pro4 mobo with a Ryzen 5 1500X. I have not run preclears, but I am currently using memtest. Once one pass is done I will run unraid and preclear the drives then if the issue reoccurs I will run a 24h memtest. I am using 3 P300 3TB drives.

Since you're using a first generation Ryzen, are you using the zenstates utility, as the OP did? Alternatively, if your BIOS has the option to disable C6 state you can use that. If you can't find any reference to C6 you'll find it re-implemented as an option to choose either "low current idle" or "typical current idle" - choose the latter. Essentially the issue is that the processor goes into too deep a sleep when idle and can't wake up again. It's fixed in the 2000-series.

• Like 1
On 12/2/2018 at 2:25 PM, Matt Dumbrill said:

Ok thanks, I just realised I had the RAM in the wrong DIMM slot... That might have been the reason for the instability. If I get the problem again, I will do as you just described. Thank you for the help.

On 12/2/2018 at 1:55 PM, John_M said:

Since you're using a first generation Ryzen, are you using the zenstates utility, as the OP did? Alternatively, if your BIOS has the option to disable C6 state you can use that. If you can't find any reference to C6 you'll find it re-implemented as an option to choose either "low current idle" or "typical current idle" - choose the latter. Essentially the issue is that the processor goes into too deep a sleep when idle and can't wake up again. It's fixed in the 2000-series.

Moving my RAM to the correct DIMM did not work, so I turned off C6 state and that worked. Thank you for your help.