unRAID for Small Business?

Hello. I've used unRAID at home, for many years; but only as like a BIG NAS, for file-serving/sharing.

We were using a MyCloud, at my small business...for the same purpose; but now we could use some basic "server" functionality...like VM, etc.

We bought an HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer...which I realize, is kinda "overkill" for unRAID; and have started evaluating Server 2016.

Server 2016 would, of course, grow with us; but it's much more than we need right now...and the "downside", is you need to admin it.

I was thinking about uR as an option. I know it's kinda a pedestrian question: but is it a perfectly viable option, for our needs?

Thanks,

6 hours ago, HTS-Chris said:

I was thinking about uR as an option. I know it's kinda a pedestrian question: but is it a perfectly viable option, for our needs?

You are likely to get better advice if you actually explain what your needs are. 😃

- General file storage and sharing?

- Photo/video editing and archival?

- Client backups?

- You mention VMs but don't say for what they will be used.  Operating System or application software/hardware testing?  Network Management? PC/Workstation consolidation? Other?

Edited by Hoopster