Are my disks failing?

JohnB

I had a nice working unraid system with 3 x 4TB disks (1 parity, 2 data) and a SSD cache disk.
I recently added 2 x 3TB disks and 2 SSD disks (The SSD are not in the array, they are used for VM storage outside of the array).
I have a very underpowered J4205-ITX motherboard and the new disks are on a Syba SI-PEX40064 SATA III 4 Port PCI-e x1 card (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The new 3TB disks are BOTH showing read errors during the weekly parity check. The disks were from another NAS where thet showed no errors. I have changed the SATA cables just in case. It seems strange that both disks would develop read errors at the same time and neither is very old or heavily used.
My question is, are these errors "real"? Are they likely issues with BOTH disks? Or my controller card? Should I disable them or replace them? Luckily there isn't yet much on the server that matters.

I hope the attached contains any info needed...

tower-diagnostics-20181017-2106.zip

7 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That card is most likely the issue. Marvell chipset controllers can have issues.

It was very cheap :)
Can anyone suggest anything better (and fairly cheap?)

- I intend to get a better motherboard / server for running a lot more VMs and docker containers so want a card that will work reliably on such a new machine

I would suggest that you look on E-bay for LSI controllers that are in the IT Mode.  The 8-port ones are usually reasonably priced.  Be sure that you vet the seller carefully as there are a lot of counterfeit ones out there from China sellers/vendors.  See here for model numbers:

Edited by Frank1940