Cannot "stub" GPU when monitor is plugged in

Hi,

I have a workstation that I attempt to do GPU passthrough on with the following hardware:

NVIDIA Geforce GT 730 (03:00.0) - installed in slot nearest to the CPU, it also has a sound device on board

ASPEED Graphics Family (0d:00.0) - on board VGA with an active VGA-HDMI converter (powered by USB)

ASUS Z9PA-D8 series motherboard

Dell monitor with inbuilt KVM, one connection to each HDMI outputs.

I'm trying to use the onboard VGA to run Unraid in GUI mode then pass the NVidia card to various VM's. I set the boot priority to ONBOARD in the motherboard BIOS.

However, when I try to boot Unraid, it will always detect the NVidia card and then fail to come up with the GUI, unless I unplug it completely.

(otherwise passthrough is working fine and AST VGA is also functional if it's booted correctly)

Is there a way to stop this behaviour?

Thank you,

Andras

Edited by Andras Ikladi

If the gui mode is using the nvidia card, it doesn't seem like you have managed to stub the nvidia card correctly. If you did stub it correctly, unraid would not use the nvidia card. 

Do you get the post screen on the Aspeed one? 

Post your syslinux.cfg.

I have the same motherboard, but the WS version, and I have not had similar issue. Didn't use gui mode though.