[SOLVED] Destination Host Unreachable when pinging br0 docker container.

Dataone

Hello. I'm trying to set unraid's DNS to my pihole server running in a docker container on the br0 bridge. I can ping/access it through the IP on all computers except for unraid itself.

This is the response: icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable, when pinging from unraid.

Everything is on same subnet, and the DNS works fine for all my other devices.

Edited by Dataone
On 10/18/2018 at 9:36 PM, Dataone said:

Hello. I'm trying to set unraid's DNS to my pihole server running in a docker container on the br0 bridge. I can ping/access it through the IP on all computers except for unraid itself.

Why do you want Pihole to be the DNS for your unRAID server?  It is best to set the DNS for unRAID to be something like Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1). 

In you router, you want primary DNS set for Pihole so your clients go through Pihole and that appears to be working for you, but, there is no need for unRAID to use it at its DNS.  There is no benefit to doing so and, in fact, it will cause you problems.

Do you have a custom IP address on br0 assigned to the Pihole docker?  If so, the behavior you are seeing is normal.  By default, there is no communication between docker and host even on the same subnet.  This is by design with docker networks.

I used to run Pihole as a docker on unRAID (I still have it installed and configured as a backup) but, I now run it separately on a Raspberry Pi. In neither case was unRAID configured to point at Pihole as DNS.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

i'm having the same problem, i installed openvpn, and i would like my clients to use pihole as dns running in unraid docker container.

container IP is 192.168.1.130 and configured as br0 with fixed ip address

unraid IP is 192.168.1.120

router IP is 192.168.1.1

openvpn clients on network 10.0.1.0/24 can reach any ip address but 192.168.1.130 :( How can i diagnose the problem ?

Thanks

Valerio