[SOLVED] Docker mapping: should /mnt be mapped as Read/Write or RW/slave?

DZMM

I'm trying to simplify my mappings by adding /mnt, mainly so I can hardlink between /mnt/disks/diskX/downloads and /mnt/user/media.  

I know that any /mnt/disks/xxxx mappings should be added as RW/Slave, but does this also apply if I map /mnt?  Does RW/Slave cause any problems if I then add reference /mnt/user/xxxx paths within the docker?

Thanks

Edited by DZMM
2 hours ago, DZMM said:

I'm trying to simplify my mappings by adding /mnt, mainly so I can hardlink between /mnt/disks/diskX/downloads and /mnt/user/media.

I am really unfamiliar with the mechanics of the hardlink process, but I don't think that is going to work.

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of the hardlink process can step in here and clarify where hardlinks can be used, but I think you are limited to links referencing files on either the same physical media, or alternatively across the user share space. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it will work if you mix disks and user shares.

The point of a hardlink in my limited understanding is to allow the same set of sectors to have multiple valid names in the file system. That means that the file remains accessible through ANY and ALL of the multiple names, and deleting one doesn't touch the sector data, only the reference. That works as long as you don't link across different physical media. Consider what would happen if the file data were contained on your unassigned device and hardlinked into the share system. The original file would occupy the UD, with a pointer on a user share. What happens when you delete the UD reference? The user share link would lose its data. The file system wouldn't know to move the data to the new physical media, because the point of hardlinks is to NOT have to move the data.

User share hardlinks are a special case, only possible through the magic of the merged file system. I'm totally lost when it comes to understanding how that can work.

Like I said first, I could be totally wrong here, hopefully someone with a greater understanding of these things will jump in, clarify and correct me.

14 minutes ago, Squid said:

Slave wont cause any problems

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Thanks

14 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Like I said first, I could be totally wrong here, hopefully someone with a greater understanding of these things will jump in, clarify and correct me.

you're probably right - I'm going to give it whirl anyway to see what happens