No gigabit speed after WOL

I just got my first system up and running and I'm trying to get sleep (S3) and WOL working.  I followed the instructions here.  Everything went fine until I got to step 6 and began testing my system.  I have the exact issue that the author mentions in his note.  My system wakes from sleep with a 100Mbps connection instead of 1000Mbps like it does from a cold boot.  The guide does not mention any solutions and I haven't yet found any posts in the forum that cover this.  Does anybody know how to fix this?  I'd really like to put my system to sleep when it's not in use.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard with a built-in Realtek 8111C LAN controller.

Alright, got it working now.  Here is what I did.

1) Cold boot, checked network speed with ethtool eth0 command using telnet.  Supported link modes are 10/100/1000 and advertised link modes are 10/100/1000 with the negotiated speed being 1000 Mbps - just like I want.

2) Put server to sleep via telnet using echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep command and the send WOL magic packet using my Wakeup.bat file.  Once server wakes I check network speed again with ethtool eth0 command using telnet.  Supported link modes are 10/100/1000 but now advertised link modes are 10/100 with the negotiated speed being 100 Mbps - not what I want.  I repeated this sleep-wake sequence five times and got the same result each time, but this was using the manual process so next I tried the automated sleep process that uses the s3.sh script.

3) Created the s3.sh script, making sure that the ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 was in there as peter_sm suggested, and placed it in /boot/custom/bin just like the guide says.  Then added the necessary lines to the go.sh scrip to initiate the s3.sh script at boot.  Rebooted and checked network speed - 1000Mbps.  Spun down the drives and waited for server to go to sleep.  After the server was in sleep mode (confirming my s3.sh and go.sh edits worked) I sent the WOL magic packet using my Wakeup.bat file.  After waking I checked network status using telnet command again.  Supported link modes are 10/100/1000 and now advertised link modes are 10/100/1000 with the negotiated speed being 1000 Mbps - awesome.  I repeated this sleep-wake sequence five times and got the same result each time.  So I'd say it works now.

Just a note.  The s3 script text listed in step 8 on the S3 and WOL Wiki page did include the ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 command but the author's script file that he provided a link to DOES NOT (I guess he did not copy it verbatim like he says).  So if you are reading this post because you followed the guide, used the author's script file, and are not getting 1000Mbps speeds then check your script file.

Thanks to bubbaQ and peter_sm for the help.

LOL - I was just reading that exact post and the script (trying to find an answer to my question below)  trying to figure out if I should do s2ram or s3.  I think I'll give it a try to see how it works.

Maybe you can answer this question for me.  My HTPC uses Media Center in Win 7.  How do I get the server to wake up whenever Media Center is opened on my HTPC?  There is a post on that thread that shows How to wake up your unRAID box from an Ubuntu pc. However I'm not using Ubuntu and it would wake the server anytime the PC is on.  I don't want to do that because my HTPC is also used by others in my house for other things.  So I only want to wake the server when Media Center is opened that way it will stay asleep when I'm surfing the net or using Photoshop or any other activity that does not need to access the server.

Thanks for the detail but I was talking about what do I need to do on my win7 machine to run the wakeup.exe file whenever I launch Media Center.  I need to run that file so that it'll send the magic packet to my unRAID server so my HTPC and record shows on the server.  Otherwise I have to run it manually before I can record a show which kind of defeats the whole purpose of scheduling recordings.

Well I found a plug-in that does wake-up the server when I launch MCE but it was a waste of time because Windows 7 MCE will not record to a network drive.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to move the shows after they are recorded to a local drive.  I plan on migrating to SageTV anyways once I get my server squared away.