Ram disk coinfiguration

55 minutes ago, Squid said:

Might be better to ask what you're trying to do, as everything outside of /mnt/ is stored in RAM.

IE: if you're trying to have a container access a folder in RAM instead of appdata, then just give it a host path of something like /tmp/containerName/

I tried doing this on a tvheadend docker to write timeshift files to memory (/tmp/timeshift/) but the docker failed to start, showing this error;

Error response from daemon: linux mounts: path /tmp/timeshift is mounted on / but it is not a shared or slave mount.

any ideas?

Thanks for the response. At this stage i'm just wanting to set up ram drives on my Win10 HTPC and my unRaid server to check out network transfer speeds of my 10gb cards, (and keep hdd speeds out of the equation). And i've read that a ram drive can save a lot of SSD work during certain activities eg torrenting. I'm using Softperfect Ramdisk on Windows

c

Edited by Steviewunda
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Squid said:

Try changing the access mode from RW to be RW:Slave or RW:Shared

(Folder may also already have to exist - not sure)

Perfect. Changed to Read/Write and the error went away.

I ended up setting timeshift to use RAM inside the Docker UI in this case as TVHeadEnd supports that  but this is a handy trick to know.

• 7 months later...
On 10/21/2018 at 10:48 PM, Squid said:

Might be better to ask what you're trying to do, as everything outside of /mnt/ is stored in RAM.

IE: if you're trying to have a container access a folder in RAM instead of appdata, then just give it a host path of something like /tmp/containerName/

Are there size or other limits set to the RAM used by the OS? I.e. can we use "/" for anything and then have it be in RAM (assuming we copy it out at shutdown and put it back after startup, say) ?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...