New to storage cards - AOC-SAS2LP

Bought a supermicro refurb server from ebay. I honestly thought it would be plug and play really. But unraid will not detect disks and allow me to assign them.

Pretty sure it's down to the controller card but not sure. The AOC-SAS2LP is down on compatible list. During boot up it shows the disks are connected.

Went through the card configuration and cleared any config just incase but still not visible when in unraid.

Did post in general forum but seems this is more of a specific question.

Are any other steps required when using a controller card? Do I need to flash this and have it running in IT mode?

All my drives are no back safely in my trusty HP N40L and have some spare disks and a USB to help configure the Supermicro server now.

Any help would be great.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SAS2LP is not being detected, try a different slot or try it on a different computer.
Will give it a go, when I turn the machine on everything seems to be working, even thought I saw the blue activity lights whilst in unraid.

Will post back shortly

Thanks for the reply @johnnie.black

Moved the card to another slot, made sure everything is seated correctly.

New test USB with unraid on.

New diagnostic attached, but still getting no drives showing. The controller card is working because it detects all the drives in the webBios and you can create raid array using the megaraid configuration wizard.

For some reason when its coming to unraid nothing available other than the flash drive.

tower-diagnostics-20181022-0503.zip

20181021_232205.jpg

Screenshot 2018-10-22 13.08.28.png

11 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

The controller card is working because it detects all the drives in the webBios and you can create raid array using the megaraid configuration wizard.

That bios if for an LSI, not a SAS2LP, still no SAS2LP detected, the LSI disks won't show up in Unraid since that's a RAID controller, not an HBA as recommended, for them to show up you need to create virtual disks, but still not recommended.

OK, I think I know what's going on, when people refer to a SAS2LP in the forum they usually mean the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 which is a Marvell based HBA controller, I believe you bough a AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR, which is a RAID LSI SAS2108 based controller, like mentioned RAID controllers are not recommended, you should have bought an LSI HBA instead, still if you create raid0 virtual disks they will show up, but there will be no SMART monitoring and possible issues if you need to replace the controller in the future as disks will be detected with a different identifier.

OK, I think I know what's going on, when people refer to a SAS2LP in the forum they usually mean the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 which is a Marvell based HBA controller, I believe you bough a AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR, which is a RAID LSI SAS2108 based controller, like mentioned RAID controllers are not recommended, you should have bought an LSI HBA instead, still if you create raid0 virtual disks they will show up, but there will be no SMART monitoring and possible issues if you need to replace the controller in the future as disks will be detected with a different identifier.
Oh man this is turning into a mess lol, the whole reason I bought a refurbished server was so it could just replace to 2 small machines I was using.

A replacement card will probably be nearly as much as I paid for the whole thing.

Will have a look on ebay and see if I can find anything half reasonable priced.

Would something like this just be a straight swap? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8x-port-SATA-PCI-E-SAS2008-HBA-expansion-LSI-SAS-9201-8i-9211-8i-IT-mode-819/263978430469?hash=item3d76573005:g:tBcAAOSwl1pbueYc:rk:2:pf:0

I noticed this current setup has battery back up unit. The reason I am so confused is I have a 12bay server which has 8 port card, how do you jsut connect some drives to the on board sata ports?

c78de638531d2edbd4a7e44616f273f8.jpg

4 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

Would something like this just be a straight swap?

It should be, appears to be low profile only so check if that's a problem.

5 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

The reason I am so confused is I have a 12bay server which has 8 port card, how do you jsut connect some drives to the on board sata ports?

There's a builtin expander on the backplane.

Good news! The new card detected all the drives straight away!

Currently going through clearing as I have added 2 extra disk to the array, once that complete I will add cache disk. Then figure out how to transfer all the appdata and docker image from another machine to this.

Edited by bally12345

I am assuming the BBU will not connect to the LSI SAS 9201-8i, will leave it in until I figure out how to get power to it.

Also does anyone happen to know what the Mini SAS to Motherboard I/O Board & Cable GT434E002LF is used for? Its connected to the backplane but no idea what it actually does. Is it even needed?