Reach Docker Container with own IP from Host/VPN

Oestle

Hey guys,

yesterday i experimented with pi-hole, but because Port 53 on my Unraid Machine was already used for some reason i decided to try the feature giving the container it's own IP.

Everything works great and as expected, when other Devices use it for DNS or when trying to connect to the WebUI.

Then i thought cool, why not use it for OpenVPN clients as well, so i set up the OpenVPN plugin, which also works great, but then when trying to connect via VPN to pi-hole...nothing. Time out.

A little lot of searching later and there's not much i found. Apparently that's the expected behaviour, that a host and therefore also connected VPNs from the host, can't connect to Containers with their own IP.

So now my question, has anyone ever found a workaround to still get this to work.

I mean i could probably switch to OpenVPN in Docker on a VM and as i understand it that would probabably work, but i kinda like having the UI.

Or i could probably put pihole in it's own little VM, i just thought it might run "better" when i run it directly on unraid.

Would it work setting up a proxy on another machine/VM for accessing the WebUI? Is there a way to "proxy" DNS through a VM?

Maybe someone already ran into the same problem.

Would appreciate any hints for workarounds. :) 

Edited by Oestle