[Support] uberchuckie - observium

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

I am unable to get monitoring working correctly, I've setup Observium, can login, can add devices, but they all show with the below error:

No device specified

A valid device was not specified in the URL. Please retype and try again.

I've tried in various users both admin and standard user, the devices can be accessed by other SNMP monitors ok, I've attached the log file

observ Log.txt

Version Information

Observium CE18.9.9420 (5th September 2018)

OSLinux 4.18.20-unRAID [amd64] (Ubuntu 18.04)

Apache2.4.29 (Ubuntu)

PHP7.2.10-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (OPcache: ENABLED)

Python2.7.15rc1

MySQL10.3.11-MariaDB-1:10.3.11+maria~bionic-log (extension: mysqli 5.0.12-dev)

SNMPNET-SNMP 5.7.3

RRDtool1.7.0

Fping4.0 (IPv4 and IPv6)

Unraid: 6.6.6

Kernel: Linux 4.18.20-unRAID x86_64

Perl: perl-5.26.1-x86_64-4

Edited by XcOM

I too am having this issue- It's a fresh install, i have tried the install a couple of times, and the last time I deleted all files related to Observium, and cleared out the docker and started over with completely default settings. No luck so far. 

I can add a device, but when i try to look at the device this is the message that I get. I also never get a confirmation that it was successfully added in the first place, however it also never fails. In my other installs of observium (not docker) it always gives a confirmation that the device was added successfully. 

I can try to gather some logs and report back. 

No device specified

******* Update *******

Reading in previous posts, it was suggested to try deleting the entire Observium folder in appdata and restarting the docker- for whatever reason, that seemed to do the trick for me this time. 

Starting up again after deleting the Observium folder in appdata, devices added properly and when device pages load normally. Not sure what went wrong. 

The only thing I changed last time was a few values in the config.php value to add in Community strings and networks to scan... I don't think that my config.php changes would have broken anything though. However- i can't deny that blowing away the entire observium directory fixed everything for me. I have everything 100% default now. 

Edited by Doxy17
Adding in updates

Can someone fill me in on how I can change the web port back to the standard TCP/80 so that I don't need to specify a port number to connect? 

I have already changed the IP Address to something unique in my network, but when I try to change the Host Port 1 to 80, nothing changes. Unraid dashboard doesn't show that the mapping has changed. I was hoping it would just map [Host IP]:80 --> [Container]:8668, but it doesn't seem to work that way. 

I'm relatively new to dockers and how they work- so forgive me if this is a silly question.

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Doxy17 said:

Can someone fill me in on how I can change the web port back to the standard TCP/80 so that I don't need to specify a port number to connect? 

I have already changed the IP Address to something unique in my network, but when I try to change the Host Port 1 to 80, nothing changes. Unraid dashboard doesn't show that the mapping has changed. I was hoping it would just map [Host IP]:80 --> [Container]:8668, but it doesn't seem to work that way. 

I'm relatively new to dockers and how they work- so forgive me if this is a silly question.

Thanks. 

I don't think it's possible. I assume you set the IP via the custom br0 network. I see "-e 'TCP_PORT_8668'='80'" in the docker run command line but it doesn't work.

14 hours ago, XcOM said:

hi,

I am unable to get monitoring working correctly, I've setup Observium, can login, can add devices, but they all show with the below error:

No device specified

I've tried in various users both admin and standard user, the devices can be accessed by other SNMP monitors ok, I've attached the log file

observ Log.txt

CMD[[0;33m/usr/bin/mysql -u'observium' -p'xxxxx' -h'localhost' -D 'observium' < '/opt/observium/update/db_schema_mysql.sql'[0m]
[0m
CMD EXITCODE[[0;31m1[0m]
CMD RUNTIME[[0;31m37.1076s[0m][0m
STDOUT[

][0m
STDERR[
ERROR 1062 (23000) at line 2389: Duplicate entry '0' for key 'PRIMARY'

][0m

SQL[[0;33mSELECT `attrib_value` FROM `observium_attribs` WHERE `attrib_type` = 'dbSchema';[0m][0m
SQL RUNTIME[[0;32m0.00053596s[0m][0m
FALSE.
Error during installation initial schema, but tables exist. Run update again.

For some reason, the database schema initialization failed. I'll see if I can reproduce it. Stop the container, delete the observium directory in your appdata directory and start the container again.

EDIT: I tried to reproduce the problem by starting the docker container with a /config volume mapping pointing to an empty directory. The database initialization worked for me.

Edited by uberchuckie
16 hours ago, uberchuckie said:

For some reason, the database schema initialization failed. I'll see if I can reproduce it. Stop the container, delete the observium directory in your appdata directory and start the container again.

EDIT: I tried to reproduce the problem by starting the docker container with a /config volume mapping pointing to an empty directory. The database initialization worked for me.

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I deleted the dir and all was fine after restarting the container, no idea what caused the issue,

Happy to provide further logs if you want them for testing or diag purposes

Has anyone had any issues with Observium showing the wrong time (specifically, timezone)? 

I'm stumped as to why this is happening. The graphs indicate that it's using UTC time, but unRAID time zone is set properly, time itself is correct in unRAID. The docker time is correct, and the timezone is correct in the docker. Even the php.ini file in the docker is set to use the correct timezone- but yet observium is graphing 5 hours later than it should. 

Any ideas? I don't see any reason that it shouldn't be correct. Observium forums show that as long as the php file is correct, observium should be right- but i'm seeing different. I'm stumped...

• 3 weeks later...

on the webgui i get DB Error 2002: No such file or directory

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/10_syslog-ng.init...
Feb 9 11:47:33 695de0bd8298 syslog-ng[14]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.13.2'

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/firstrun.sh...
Loading PHP config from default.
*** Booting runit daemon...
*** Runit started as PID 37
Initializing Data Directory.
Feb 9 11:47:35 695de0bd8298 cron[42]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
Feb 9 11:47:35 695de0bd8298 cron[42]: (CRON) INFO (Running @reboot jobs)
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 37)...
*** Running /etc/my_init.post_shutdown.d/10_syslog-ng.shutdown...
Feb 9 11:48:28 695de0bd8298 syslog-ng[14]: syslog-ng shutting down; version='3.13.2'

*** Init system aborted.
*** Killing all processes...
*** Not all processes have exited in time. Forcing them to exit.
Feb 9 11:48:36 695de0bd8298 syslog-ng[13]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.13.2'

Using existing PHP database config file.
warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh

job 1 at Sat Feb 9 11:49:00 2019
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/opt/observium/config.php': File exists

*** Runit started as PID 30
Feb 9 11:48:36 695de0bd8298 cron[36]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
Feb 9 11:48:36 695de0bd8298 cron[36]: (CRON) INFO (Skipping @reboot jobs -- not system startup)
Feb 9 11:50:01 695de0bd8298 CRON[114]: (root) CMD ( /opt/observium/poller-wrapper.py 2 >> /dev/null 2>&1)
Feb 9 11:50:01 695de0bd8298 CRON[115]: (root) CMD ( /opt/observium/discovery.php -h new >> /dev/null 2>&1)

On 2/9/2019 at 2:51 PM, MrYoshii said:

on the webgui i get DB Error 2002: No such file or directory

Feb 9 11:47:33 695de0bd8298 syslog-ng[14]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.13.2'

Loading PHP config from default.
*** Runit started as PID 37
Feb 9 11:47:35 695de0bd8298 cron[42]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
Feb 9 11:47:35 695de0bd8298 cron[42]: (CRON) INFO (Running @reboot jobs)
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 37)...
*** Running /etc/my_init.post_shutdown.d/10_syslog-ng.shutdown...
Feb 9 11:48:28 695de0bd8298 syslog-ng[14]: syslog-ng shutting down; version='3.13.2'

*** Init system aborted.
*** Killing all processes...
*** Not all processes have exited in time. Forcing them to exit.
Feb 9 11:48:36 695de0bd8298 syslog-ng[13]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.13.2'

Using existing PHP database config file.
warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh

job 1 at Sat Feb 9 11:49:00 2019
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/opt/observium/config.php': File exists

*** Runit started as PID 30
Feb 9 11:48:36 695de0bd8298 cron[36]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
Feb 9 11:48:36 695de0bd8298 cron[36]: (CRON) INFO (Skipping @reboot jobs -- not system startup)
Feb 9 11:50:01 695de0bd8298 CRON[114]: (root) CMD ( /opt/observium/poller-wrapper.py 2 >> /dev/null 2>&1)
Feb 9 11:50:01 695de0bd8298 CRON[115]: (root) CMD ( /opt/observium/discovery.php -h new >> /dev/null 2>&1)

Try: Stop the container, delete the observium directory in your appdata directory and start the container again.

My guess is that the database initialization didn't run to completion before it was killed. Hard to say without seeing the entire log.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I get Observium to show hard drive temperatures?  Ive searched around a bit and everything I find, I cant get to work.

I see the current temps on the dashboard, but Im looking to trend the temps. Observium trends everything wonderfully, except hard drive temps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BDPM

On 6/18/2019 at 12:30 AM, BDPM said:

How do I get Observium to show hard drive temperatures?  Ive searched around a bit and everything I find, I cant get to work.

I see the current temps on the dashboard, but Im looking to trend the temps. Observium trends everything wonderfully, except hard drive temps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BDPM

This is a product question where I think you'll be better served by their community forum.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, uberchuckie said:

This is a product question where I think you'll be better served by their community forum.

Thanks. The reason I asked here was because what ive found so far required editing the snmp config files which, in order to monitor unraid drives means editing unraid system files in the /etc/snmp folder.  

Thanks. The reason I asked here was because what ive found so far required editing the snmp config files which, in order to monitor unraid drives means editing unraid system files in the /etc/snmp folder.  

Ok. I’ll take a look when I have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, uberchuckie said:

Ok, I see what you’re asking for. Do you have a sample MIB you want me to try get working?

Thank for the reply.  Honestly, I have seen MIB mentioned in documentation, but I dont know what that is.  LOL

I went to observium IRC channel, asked around, and was told that I needed to add the agent to whatever server I wanted to monitor.  I started to do that via this site https://docs.observium.org/unix_agent/ seems to me that it should work, but when I got to "restarting the service" I couldnt figure out how on unraid, so I just rebooted the server.  When I went to continue the setup, I checked the observium_agent_xinetd file that had been scp over and edited.  It was gone. So I tossed in the towel for the day.  

I used nerd tools to install xinetd, and it is still there.  The edited file just poofs after reboot.

Like I said previously, Observium working great, just missing the hard drive temps.

I will attach a diagnostic file of my system if you wanna take a look.  Much appreciated. 

Thank you for your time and efforts.

BDPM

BDPM-diagnostics.zip

I took a quick look and I think I know what happened to your attempt. I am assuming that you did something similar to 

The Observium docs page isn't loading for me right now. When you copy the files, you have to copy them to the host, not within the container. xinetd needs to be running on the unRAID server itself (which you've already installed with nerdtools).

I'll try to get this working on my server when I have time. I don't think there are any changes to the Observium image itself.

Edited by uberchuckie
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, Doxy17 said:

Has anyone had any issues with Observium showing the wrong time (specifically, timezone)? 

I'm stumped as to why this is happening. The graphs indicate that it's using UTC time, but unRAID time zone is set properly, time itself is correct in unRAID. The docker time is correct, and the timezone is correct in the docker. Even the php.ini file in the docker is set to use the correct timezone- but yet observium is graphing 5 hours later than it should. 

Any ideas? I don't see any reason that it shouldn't be correct. Observium forums show that as long as the php file is correct, observium should be right- but i'm seeing different. I'm stumped...

Having the same problem unfortunately. Ever find a fix?

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, uberchuckie said:

I took a quick look and I think I know what happened to your attempt. I am assuming that you did something similar to 

The Observium docs page isn't loading for me right now. When you copy the files, you have to copy them to the host, not within the container. xinetd needs to be running on the unRAID server itself (which you've already installed with nerdtools).

I'll try to get this working on my server when I have time. I don't think there are any changes to the Observium image itself.

Did you ever got it to work?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi uberchuckie,
Thanks for an amazing docker app!
Do you have any plans in the future to upgrade to the latest version of Observium? I get the following alert in mine:

There is a newer revision of Observium available!
Version 19.8 (19th September 2019) is 580 revisions ahead.

I’ll see if I have time this weekend to build a new image and make sure the schema upgrade works or not.