USB Root Hub showing "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I'm not sure if this is VM issue or Windows issue.

but I'm trying to pass through PEXUSB3S44V to windows, and although it looks like it was successful, I'm unable to use it in windows VM environment.

I've updated the driver, and now I have 8 devices:

- 4x Renesas USB 4.0 eXtensible Host Controller. "This device is working properly"

- 4x USB Root Hub (USB 3.0). "This device cannot start. (Code 10) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful."

I'm not really sure what to do at this point since whether I uninstall the driver or start over, I always get stuck here.

Any reco on what I may be able to do?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, 

I've ended up with the same problem. Running Arch Linux host with Win10 guest and have passed through all 4 Renesas controllers. Tried installing the drivers from the CD but I'm still unable to use the USB3 ports. Device Manager shows that same that you have:

On 10/25/2018 at 12:23 AM, takkkkkkk said:

- 4x Renesas USB 4.0 eXtensible Host Controller. "This device is working properly"

- 4x USB Root Hub (USB 3.0). "This device cannot start. (Code 10) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful."

My Arch host is also unable to use the card it seems either, so I wasn't sure if it was Windows or a VM issue either, but I know it works for other distros. I thought it may have been some driver conflict so for now I've got the vfio-pci driver on the Renesas controllers on my host so it can hopefully be passed through relatively uninterrupted as I only really want the card for my VM anyways so I don't care if the ports don't work on the host right now, but as far as I can tell it's being passed through properly and it's just a pain in the ass driver issue. Could be wrong though. If I get anywhere further I'll post it here.

• 7 months later...

Hi.

Just made a new attempt of getting this card working, but with no luck 🙁

I have heard that there are multiple revisions of this card, and that someone has got it working.

Mine is marked "PI40202-7X2B".

I have seen a "PI40202-6X2B" and "PI40202-6X2A", and one of these might be working?

Can anyone confirm this or have anyone experience with any other revision than mine?

• 5 weeks later...

I too have the PEXUSB3S44V. Have the following in my Syslinux configuration:

kernel /bzimage
append pci=noaer vfio-pci.ids=1912:0015 pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction isolcpus=4-7,16-19 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 initrd=/bzroot

Stumbled upon this link, but so far, still unable to passthrough the device to Windows VM. Get as far as this. Used the "Drivers" from Startech's website.

Tested device on separate, Windows only box, and it works as expected.

image.png.01ee3f27f6940fd507205a362fdf3c84.png

Edited by ThorTheNinja
added image, add'l info