Solved | Recommended memory for Unraid?

gacpac

I've been trying unRaid for couple months already and I fell in love with it. Now I'm making my way into buying the license but I don't know which USB memory to buy. Honestly, I'm using a super shitty memory that I thought it was dead for years. A 2gb stick that doesn't have even a brand and so far it's been fine. But is that enough?

Edited by gacpac
Topic solved
23 minutes ago, gacpac said:

I've been trying unRaid for couple months already and I fell in love with it. Now I'm making my way into buying the license but I don't know which USB memory to buy. Honestly, I'm using a super shitty memory that I thought it was dead for years. A 2gb stick that doesn't have even a brand and so far it's been fine. But is that enough?

32GB is the max recommended size.  I have an 8GB that is nowhere close to full.  Not a lot is written to the flash drive, but, it is nice to have some extra space.

unRAID boots from the flash drive (think of it as your boot drive), so, you want something reliable. 

I recommend you stick with a name brand like Kingston, Lexar, Sandisk, etc.

1 hour ago, gacpac said:

I think i found it

Kingston Digital 16 GB DataTraveler SE9 G2 USB 3.0 Flash Drive (DTSE9G2/16GB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SOL9ZSA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_uAr0BbEY9XR72

That should work.  Just as an FYI, if your motherboard/case has a USB2 port, that often works better than USB3 for booting.  It depends a lot on your hardware.  Of course, a USB3 flash drive (like the one you have selected) can be plugged into a USB2 or USB3 port.

10 minutes ago, gacpac said:

So that's the only time it runs? Interesting. 

It is most active during boot up; however, config changes, log info, etc. are written to it while the server is running.  The OS is loaded into RAM on boot up, so flash drive access is minimal, but, it still happens while the server is running.

15 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

My preference is the sandisk ultrafit USBs.

Very low profile, unlikely to be knocked out etc 

I tend to use the Sandisk Cruz Fit which is the USB 2 model.   These do not get hot (at least on my system) and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that USB 2 tends to be more reliable than USB 3, and with Unraid one does not need the performance increase that USB 3 provides as it runs from RAM.

9 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I tend to use the Sandisk Cruz Fit which is the USB 2 model.   These do not get hot (at least on my system) and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that USB 2 tends to be more reliable than USB 3, and with Unraid one does not need the performance increase that USB 3 provides as it runs from RAM.

You just read my mind. I ordered yesterday. After that, I guess should be pretty straightforward. 

-Backup flash

-Restore backup to new flash

-Request license