Unable to boot - /bzimage CHS: Error 8001

I'm currently unable to boot Unraid. I get errors when loading /bzimage and also /bzroot. I'm unsure of the exact version, but I believe it was Unraid 6.5 (though probably was 6.4). It definitely wasn't 6.6 since I was planning on updating to that before it decided to go on the fritz.

The exact error is:

Loading /bzimage... CHS: Error 8001 reading sector 2212142 (137/180/10)
EDD: Error 8000 reading sector 2212254
ok
Loading /bzroot...CHS: Error 8001 reading sector 2229456 (138/199/62)
EDD: Error 8000 reading sector 2229568
CHS: Error 8000 reading sector 2394952 (149/21/57)
EDD: Error 8000 reading sector 2395064
ok

and then a blinking underscore will sit there not allowing me to access any sort of console. This doesn't allow me to grab the diagnostics file since I'm obviously not able to access a terminal.

I've tried starting it in safe mode, which also fails though the output is longer and I'm not able to capture it to write it out. I can screenshot it with my phone if that would be helpful. Rebooting does nothing.

Any ideas? Next steps?

Edited by J_Hizzal
Thinking the version was actually 6.4

OK so I was able to restart it, but now it's showing an Error 2001 for a minute on the /bzimage and once it gets to Loading /bzroot it loops to the automatic boot in 4 seconds countdown and is now unresponsive.

I'm thinking my flash drive is now somehow corrupted. Is there a way to re-create that without losing all the data on my drives? I'm fine if I lose all the plugins and whatnot. I just don't want to lose the data in the shares.

31 minutes ago, J_Hizzal said:

I'm thinking my flash drive is now somehow corrupted. Is there a way to re-create that without losing all the data on my drives?

Flash drive issues should in no way affect your data.  It is highly unlikely that you have lost data.

The flash drive /config folder contains all the information about your current configuration.  Can you recover that folder and it's contents on another computer?  Even better, do you have a recent backup of your flash drive before the problems started?

If you can recover /config, prepare a new flash drive with the unRAID USB creator tool and copy the /config folder.  If you don't have a copy of config, at least you can verify if a new flash drive boots properly.  If a new flash drive works, you can transfer your license to the new flash drive.

22 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Flash drive issues should in no way affect your data.  It is highly unlikely that you have lost data.

The flash drive /config folder contains all the information about your current configuration.  Can you recover that folder and it's contents on another computer?  Even better, do you have a recent backup of your flash drive before the problems started?

If you can recover /config, prepare a new flash drive with the unRAID USB creator tool and copy the /config folder.  If you don't have a copy of config, at least you can verify if a new flash drive boots properly.  If a new flash drive works, you can transfer your license to the new flash drive.

Thanks Hoopster. Would that mean I'd have to re-setup my shares and re-add the same docker images? Or would the /config folder contain all that?

I'll get a new USB and try this out.

18 minutes ago, J_Hizzal said:

Would that mean I'd have to re-setup my shares and re-add the same docker images?

If you have a backup of /config, all the share and docker info is there.  The actual docker images and config are stored on the appdata share (by default) which will be on your cache drive or another location you specified. 

FYI - it's good to make periodic backups of the flash drive (now you know why).  That can be automated via the CA Backup/Restore Appdata plugin or manually by clicking on the flash link on the main page and selecting Flash Backup