RFS or XFS or BTRFS

whipdancer

It's been over 2 years since the last substantial thread on this topic and I don't see any other discussions on the forum related to it - so I'm asking the question(s) again.

Which file system are you using?

Has anyone changed their mind and moved (or NOT moved) file systems?
Has BTRFS matured enough? 
Are you converting file systems wholesale, as you add a drive, or something else?

Like the original post, I'm hoping to find out if there is a consensus on the matter.

For reference, here is the original discussion - RFS or XFS or BTRFS

Thanks,
Whip

Last winter I converted all data drives from ReiserFS to XFS. The result was impressive. Write requests are so much snappier now. If a drive is nearly full this has no longer impact on write requests.

RAID1 Cache is running on BTRFS. I don't like BTRFS and once XFS offers similar features required for docker I would switch immediately.

One Unassigned Devices drive is on XFS currently. I would like to have RAID1 here too. But this is a manual process and I doubt I get it going. To make it worst it seems that this requires BTRFS too.

So, for me, it's a 100% decision for XFS for now and the future.

52 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

RAID1 Cache is running on BTRFS. I don't like BTRFS and once XFS offers similar features required for docker I would switch immediately.

Thanks for the feedback.

From the sounds of it, you are running your docker containers on your cache drive (I don't know where mine are running as I don't recall specifically setting that).  Is that correct?  What is required for Docker in your scenario that requires BTRFS?

3 hours ago, whipdancer said:

Thanks for the feedback.

From the sounds of it, you are running your docker containers on your cache drive (I don't know where mine are running as I don't recall specifically setting that).  Is that correct?  What is required for Docker in your scenario that requires BTRFS?

I'm running a Cache Pool, not a single Cache disk. AFAIK, BTRFS is required when using RAID1 Cache Pool. Trust me, I would switch immediately if a XFS Cache Pool would be possible.

I'm running two EVO SSDs as the RAID1 Cache Pool. Even with the 500MB sqlite DB of one of the containers it's pretty fast.

Re. BTRFS: It's my personal opinion based on BTRFS developing history.

• Upvote 1