Rescuing Supermicro 2U server

cyruspy

Years ago I purchased a second hand Supermicro server (2U, 12 drives). It came with:

Supermicro SAS826TQ
Supermicro X7SBE
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
Kingston 4GB RAM
(1) Supermicro SAT2-MV8
(2) 800 watt PSU (redundant)

I never used it and was archived. Now, I need a backup NAS (secondary storage) and wanted to make use of that purchase. The thing is, I found it restarts itself randomly (or a couple of minutes after startup), it doesn't matter if it's running the OS, memtest or BIOS.

If someone has seen that behaviour and can give me some hints, it would be awesome. If not, I'm pondering my options to refurbish it, given I like the 2U form factor and the 12 hotplug bays.

Given the hardware is not that generic, I'm inclined to get another X7SBE (blaming the mobo for the restart). Now, taking a look at the specs, any current motherboard is leaps better but I'm worried about:

1- Non standard PSU

2- Standard MB may not have all the required connector (i2c, SPGIO, etc).

Any comments/suggestions?

Edited by cyruspy

If you never tested the box when you put it away is hard to know. Might have been DOA. But it sounds like it might be worth your while to pull the mb and check for loose screws and other nasty things that could be causing a short. That and power connections.

Those old industrial systems are tough as nails, and don't give up easily. Love em for the purpose you are suggesting. They spend most of their time down, so noise isn't an issue.

Sent from my chisel, carved into granite