(SOLVED) How do you back up your server?

Hi, I have an UnRAID server housing about 700GB of data. I need an offsite, cloud backup solution to back up my server in case of disaster and finally wound up subscribing to Backblaze B2. Now I've been using rclone for the last year; however the plugin began to malfunction and delete the backup files, even going as to uninstalling itself (wtf) in the plugin directory.

After rclone failed on me I tried using Duplicati (not to be confused with Duplicacy or Duplicity). It worked, kinda. Backups worked, but they were sloooow. Like, days to complete a 700GB backup to an external drive slow. At 100MB/s the operation should've only taken about 2 hours, maybe 3 at the most. Now, if you limit that to 20MB/s (standard USB 2 instead of 3) it should've only taken about 10 to 15 hours. Not four days.

Duplicati therefore is practically unusable for me, so I've been hunting other options. I've been looking at CloudBerry, Duplicacy, and Arq. Out of the three, Duplicacy seems to be the most promising except that there is no Docker image or UnRAID plugin developed for it. CloudBerry requires a license (so does Arq), and Arq requires Windows. I could run backups on my main computer with an external drive connected (as an added bonus I could easily remove the external drive and put it in a safe place) but it would require me to manually power on my workstation and initiate a backup, something that wouldn't allow for any scheduling.

My requirements for a backup solution are scheduling, encryption, the ability to back up to an external drive (which UnRAID can do with Unassigned Devices), the ability to back up to cloud services (such as Google Drive, B2, Amazon, etc.), and most importantly incremental backups. Nice to haves are deduplication so that I could save some space.

So I'm curious. What software does the UnRAID community use to backup servers?

Edited by Guest

hi ideaman,

I followed a similar process as you, moving away from duplicati.

I have a userscript setup to backup my VM's, XML folders to my backup server.  I also use the userscript plugin to schedule rclone to backup my nextcloud folder to my backup server.

I have also recently started using the resilio docker to share my documents folder to several devices, this works great for most cases. I did attempt to resilio my 500GB backup folder to my backup server but I have yet to play around and ensure its a solid option.

I've settled on Duplicacy after researching. Since there isn't any plugins or Dockers for Duplicacy you need to install it manually.

Run a wget, save the Duplicacy binary in `/boot/config/plugin`, symlink it to `/usr/local/bin` with `ln -s /boot/config/plugins/duplicacy /usr/local/bin/` and you're done. Quite easy.

Now I need to write a script for Duplicacy...

Edited by Guest
Grammar I guess
  • 2 months later...