easy external share

phileeny

Having the knowledge to build my own 70 tb unraid server and also solving a lot of problems with the help from various people in the forums I have gained a good knowledge, I have no idea about the technical stuff.

I have a folder on my server containing thousands of photographs collected over a number of years, what I'm looking to do is to set up a folder on my unraid server which I can place photographs taken at some event and just send out a email with a link so that the receiver can use the link to gain access to this folder in my own unraid server to download the photographs to his own computer, and maybe even upload their own to my server.

Currently I can do this with Google photos but I have to first upload them and if I want to give full quality I have to pay for the service, my server is free.

Is what I'm wanting to do possible and if so how?

Nextcloud is actually perfectly suited to this use case.  I find that the gallery isn't as perfectly fast as Google Photos (which is probably an issue with my older hardware/connection), but it will do exactly what you want.  

Probably the thing you're looking for is to set up a folder that you want to use to share files with a client, set it to share with a link, then set the parameters for how you want someone else to access the folder.  You can set it as read only, allow upload and editing, upload only etc.  You can also password  protect the folder so that even if someone has a link to it, they have to know the password to get in and even then, you can set an expiration date on that password.  https://nextcloud.com/file-drop/

If you're going to go this route, I highly suggest purchasing a domain and running NC through a reverse proxy.  Check out the Spaceinvader One videos to walk yourself through the set up.