[SOLVED] Multiple drives disabled, too many missing disks

bin4ry

Hello,

I rebooted my server and the array will not start, showing the message "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!"

Server has 2 parity disks, 11 data disks, 1 cache drive, unRAID 6.2.4

I think at some point a few weeks ago, one of my parity drives (s/n last 4 is FDTD) dropped out of the array, when I try adding it back it shows the blue "New device" icon.

Then disk5 was showing as disabled/unmountable, no file system present.

Now disk8 has failed due to reallocated sectors and a broken SATA power port. I believe because disk8's SATA power connector also connected to parity1 and disk5, it might be the reason why these drives were dropped at the same time, as I find it odd 3 drives would have issues all at once.

I unplugged disk8, but now can't start the array because the server thinks there is only 1 parity drive, disk5 is now showing up on the devices page, but as a red X with "Device is disabled, contents emulated" (I can mount it and view files fine via unassigned devices plugin), and disk8 is missing because of the SATA power issue.

How can I get this server running again? Is there any possibility of retrieving data from disk8? I can deal with losing all my data on disk5 if it means being able to start the array to rebuild disk8 from parity.

syslog, SMART, diagnostics attached.

Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20181028-2240.zip

3 hours ago, bin4ry said:

Is there any possibility of retrieving data from disk8?

Not in the current server state, you have 1 disable disk (disk5), and want to replace another (disk8) but only have one valid parity.

You let a lot of issues accumulate and are now beyond recovery, to start the array you can do a new config and re-sync parity but you'll lose the data on disks 5 and 8, though disk5 data can possibly be recovered with the new config, since the disk itself appears fine, as for disk8 if there's no way to access the old disk data is lost.

I had a similar problem after our big move... I ended up buying a new lan card, and upgraded my motherboard, and cpu. I think the problem was the onboard lan controller though. Everything is working better than ever now...although I do occassionally find a song or movie that skips now. I am thinking the parity drive had some unknown errors on it when I used it to rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, bin4ry said:

I think at some point a few weeks ago

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You let a lot of issues accumulate and are now beyond recovery

Do you have Notifications setup to send you alerts when you get a problem? Probably not or else you wouldn't have to guess when you got your first problem. And as you have seen, multiple problems can result in data loss.

Archived