Stuttering video playback in VM

Krzaku

My setup: i7-4790k, GTX 1070. I pass through 6 cores of the cpu and the gpu to a Windows 10 VM. I installed codecs and set the player to use madVR. The issue is the video stutters a lot with high bitrate files. I have a 4k HDR Remux with bitrate of 81 mbits and it barely plays. 1080p files (around 30 mbits bitrate) seem to work relatively fine. The read speed does not seem to be the issue, I get over 80 MB/s when copying the file from the share from which I am playing it. I am unsure what is causing this, it very well may have something to do with the fact that it is a virtual machine. BUT when running that same high bitrate file in VLC it plays without issues, only it doesn't seem to support HDR playback and it converts it to SDR automatically. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I do have 2 more questions:

- when starting the VM Windows reports most of the ram is taken (over 95% of 10GB), but it doesn't show what is using it, is that normal?

- what does setting the GPU bios in VM options do?

To answer your two additional questions:

"when starting the VM Windows reports most of the ram is taken (over 95% of 10GB), but it doesn't show what is using it, is that normal?"

Yes, this is normal behavior of UnRaid, the VM will use however much ram you have allocated to it in the settings, if you want to see specifically what is using ram you can use top or htop in the terminal.

"what does setting the GPU bios in VM options do?"

The primary use for setting the GPU bios is to allow resetting of Nvidia GPUs for unraid upon boot.  Also certain GPUs may require having a bios file selected to work at all.

20 hours ago, Macintux said:

The primary use for setting the GPU bios is to allow resetting of Nvidia GPUs for unraid upon boot.

What does that mean exactly? I couldn't get it to work WITH the bios set, following the Spaceinvader's One guide. Without it set there seems to be no issues. Is there any performance degradation when it is not set?

23 hours ago, Krzaku said:

What does that mean exactly? I couldn't get it to work WITH the bios set, following the Spaceinvader's One guide. Without it set there seems to be no issues. Is there any performance degradation when it is not set?

Basically what he said is if you restart the machine, the machine crashes, or the gpu driver crashes and the card needs to be reset the bios allows for that. Its especially needed when you only have a single gpu. When not set a lot of times the machine simply will not start.

The video stuttering is usually caused by DPC latency(at least in my experience)  there is a utility floating around here(use search) called MSI_util_v2.exe you can try running that and selecting everything to and hitting apply. Restart the machine and see if anything is better. It helps sometimes.

On 10/31/2018 at 5:37 PM, Jerky_san said:

The video stuttering is usually caused by DPC latency(at least in my experience)  there is a utility floating around here(use search) called MSI_util_v2.exe you can try running that and selecting everything to and hitting apply. Restart the machine and see if anything is better. It helps sometimes.

This did not work unfortunately.