[Request] Put updates on CloudFront

Hey guys,

This is a simple request, and will improve a minor inconvenience for a lot of people. 

Currently when downloading OS updates, it grabs them as ZIP form from the Unraid S3 bucket.

I would ask that you put the S3 bucket behind AWS CloudFront, so that it has a global presence.

Currently downloading the update takes ages to download, even though i have fast internet, due to the fact that I'm in Australia and the S3 bucket is in America.

Putting it behind CloudFront would mean that i download my copy from a local server at full speed, instead of having to download it from so far away.

Setting up CloudFront literally takes a couple minutes, may even cost less in bandwidth then S3, and would just require a URL update.

I hope this can be implemented :)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Squid said:

How so?  The only downtime is the reboot

Like some other applications etc. do it; download the update, have it available for install, notify user. Maybe choices on whether to automatically download, install, and notify user to reboot; download and notify; or just notification of update available without download.

8 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Another Oz user, I don't think there's any significant speed issues, but I think there could be merit in pre-downloading updates to reduce downtime during update process.

It downloads at about 1MB/s, whereas i have Fiber and can download at 20MB/s. It's the difference between taking 5minutes to download and a couple of seconds.

It's not a huge issue, it'll just improve the quality of life for people who don't live in the USA.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...