Dell Poweredge T610 - Unraid Array Isues

I recently had a drive show errors and decided to swap it out, disk 3. Followed the procedure and unassigned it from  unraid, no problems. Shut machine down and removed the drive. Booted the server (Dell Poweredge T610 using a perc 6i controller. All drives in raid 0) and restarted Unraid. however the disk that I took out was disk 1. I shut the server down and re inserted it, booted again.

The perc controller has now detected a 'foreign configuration' and updated. However, and this is the problem Unraid will not start the array as it says the 'Wrong disk' is being used, even though the physical disk is in the same slot. I think this is due to the perc controller reconfiguring.

I am thinking the only way to get the array back up is to restart the array from scratch and then preclear the disks to find the actual problem disk. I have all the data backed up so data loss is not a problem. Can anybody give any pointers to get around the problem?

If not how do I start the array from scratch again?

Final question the disks don't seem to update smart status as the report says to use 'Megaraid' as a attribute. Can I use the webgui to incorporate this  command or do I have to use the terminal to get a smart status on disks in the array? Drives such as my ssd which is direct via sata on the motherboard have smart status.

Any pointers or help is  greatly appreciated.

8 minutes ago, RallyGallery said:

I think this is due to the perc controller reconfiguring.

Correct, and one of the reasons why using RAID controllers isn't recommended.

You can do a new config with the remaining good disks plus the new one and resync parity, this way you just need to transfer the missing disk data from your backup.

• Like 1

Johnnie many thanks. I think I have now got the server online and the array started. All 8 disks have got the Megaraid smart type now. I am installing the server layout plugin so I know what disk is where and will do a smart check and parity check to see what disk is giving me the errors. I have used WD Red drives and they are less than 12 months old so strange I get errors?

Johnnie. Many thanks for your  time. Just to  add a further 'silly' question. What procedure would you recommend, if you even know, to swap out a faulty drive and replace iwiththe new one? I think I messed things up by taking out the incorect drive so maybe will not have this problem again if i took the correct 'faulty' drive out?

The server layout plugin does not see the drives which is a shame. Do you know where I can see the actual S/N of the disk in Unraid so I can label up?

21 minutes ago, RallyGallery said:

Do you know where I can see the actual S/N of the disk in Unraid so I can label up?

The problem is the RAID controller, or the serial would show up on the main page as part of the disk identification, if SMART is working with the MegaRAID option you can see the serial on the SMART report.