Problems with Unraid (Win 10)

Hi everybody. 

So i try to use Windows 7 with unraid - total fail (sorry but it is), cannot use keyboard if system failed. Drivers for ethernet don't even run 100% ... more like 50%. But ok, i was angry and frustrated :)

But now it is more beautiful :) ... lets look: 

[BUG 1] Editing existing VM - freeze and stucked (with no affect). Just removing keyboard from VM - ha ha ha xD 

[BUG 2] Next one - Windows after crash will not boot, stucked on loading screen :) bey bey - go again install it from scratch

[EDITED]

[BUG 3] After removing old broken VM - replacing with new... it loaded the old one :D - but after 3 minutes it start new 😄 (correct behaviour ? )

[EDITED 05/11/2018]

Windows keep on changing time - it is not automatically.  - in some cases will observe it

[EDITED 06/11/2018]

[BUG 4] After playing for 5 hours - i just change date (again), restart windows and whole server go down :) Need manually reboot. 

[BUG 5] After reboot i set that array will start on startup, change VM to start on startup, click on dashboard aaaaaand dead. No response. :) 

[BUG 6] 17:30 - 1 VM was started, second wasn't. I try to start second and freeze. Cannot do anything - array cannot be stoped, VM cannot be forced to shutdown. Need hardcore restart. 

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot folks ;) 

[3 days waiting for response]

opicaci-diagnostics-20181106-1736.zip

Edited by Elfiadorn

Hello and apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this.  I'd like to know more details about your system and the VM configuration.  Are you attempting GPU pass through with this VM?  What about passing through any other PCI devices?  What do you mean "cannot use keyboard if system failed"?  Also please explain by drivers for Ethernet only running at 50%.

What is happening when your VM crashes?  Are you running a program?  Keeping it idle?  Is your VM possibly entering hibernation which may make it seem like it's crashed but in reality it's just "paused"?

This is definitely odd behavior and not expected.

Jonp - thanks for replying. 

I will provide more detail when i'm near PC. 

So this is my config: 

- AMD RYZEN 7 2700X

- 2x XFX RS Radeon RX 570 8GB TripleX Edition

- ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING

- HyperX 32GB KIT DDR4 2933MHz CL17 Fury Black Series

- Zalman ZM1000-EBT

- Kingston A1000 240GB NVMe

- Kingston A400 240GB 7mm

- ADATA Ultimate SU650 SSD 120GB

So with this hardware i wanna install two VM (one for me and second for gf). At beggining i try to install Windows 7. But big no no. By default i have 2 usb (2.0), i try to connect mouse, keyboard to them. I install windows (getting weird behaviour when keyboard in some part of installation stop working or mouse). I was unable to do anything only restart. FInished installation. Then i try to install ethernet driver from E:/ (some video manual). At this stage i get probably 50-60% change to install driver. If failed i need to restart and install 1 by 1 drivers (3 together). Then by random reason if windows fail (installing driver for Radeon), it took me to this page: ximg_59399e1fc3894.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

Aaaand keyboard not working. So only option left is try to repair pc from that part. I try every manual, help with no success. So remove VM with disk and try over again. I do it for 4 times every VM :) i was very angry about it. 

Then i try to make last change for UnRaid... i try stupid Windows 10. Ok the system is working, drivers are working. But when i try to install the newest driver for Windows 10 (Radeon) ... windows is dead. Cannot run it anymore, cannot do anything... only delete VM and start over again. 

This was much more part of VM but i'm getting very bad behaviour of UnRaid itself. By example when i try to start some VM - the whole system freeze (unraid), and shutdown??? Manually need to reboot machine. Or i wanna change keyboard in VM - try to uncheck old, check new... updating updating (it goes for 3 min - and nothing). So by this point i'm unable to swap or add any other usb device to VM.

So in this stage im facing those bugs i mentioned above. If something crash i need total reboot which isn't very good idea, changing config isn't working for me, and if by some reason Windows fail, i'm unable to recover it because i cannot do anything. 

I dont wanna be rude, i'm only using this product for 1 week ... but after this time i'm unable to use stable version of anything, and can only be scary not to crash anything. Im already making backup plan to build my gf same PC and rid of Unraid (waste of money), but i will try to cooperate with you or anybody who can really help me. 

It is highly likely that the issue is due to your GPUs.  AMD GPUs are notoriously bad for use with virtual machines.  NVIDIA GPUs tend to work flawlessly as long as you have a 6-series or newer GPU.  AMD GPUs tend to have lots of different problems when trying to load the drivers and that seems to be the primary issue you're having.  Windows 10 bare metal should work fine because you're not trying to virtualize anything.

The first test I would try is to get Windows installed WITHOUT GPU pass through at all.  Just use VNC and see if you can get everything working (no USB devices either in this phase).  If that works, then try adding the USB devices.  If that works, then try adding the GPUs.  If the GPUs still continue to cause the issue, your choices are to either swap to NVIDIA GPUs or abandon the project in favor of a dual PC setup.  There is literally nothing we can do to help when the issue is at the hardware-level here.  We have made attempts to get AMD to acknowledge and fix this issue, but so far those attempts have fallen on deaf ears.

Hi Jonp. Thanks for honest opinion. I already made decision to abandon UnRaid, in my case waste of money. 

I'm sorry that i need to get information about AMD problems by facing this issues after i buy licence. I'm not fan of Intel or Nvidia... so i will build the same machine for my gf. 

Thanks a lot. 

One more question... is there any trade market i can sell my licence key? By looking in some help manual i get info that i cannot ask for refund. Thanks

15 hours ago, Elfiadorn said:

Hi Jonp. Thanks for honest opinion. I already made decision to abandon UnRaid, in my case waste of money. 

I'm sorry that i need to get information about AMD problems by facing this issues after i buy licence. I'm not fan of Intel or Nvidia... so i will build the same machine for my gf. 

Thanks a lot. 

One more question... is there any trade market i can sell my licence key? By looking in some help manual i get info that i cannot ask for refund. Thanks

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this is the exact reason there is a generous trial period available. You could have run the full version of unraid completely free to see if it worked for you before purchasing the license.