Help with preclear results

wsume99

Last night I installed my new WD Black 1TB drive (WD1001FALS) and ran a preclear on it overnight.  My syslog file is attached.  Two questions...

1) It looks to me like the smrtcrtl is not installed.  I'm running unRAID Basic v4.5.6.  I'll have to read more about installing that.

2) Can anyone tell me what the smart report is telling me WRT Raw_Read_Error_Rate and UDMA_CRC_Error_Count and if it's anything to be worried about.

I'm guessing I'll be told to fix #1 then rerun preclear a few times but wanted to get some input from the experts here.

syslog.txt

Last night I installed my new WD Black 1TB drive (WD1001FALS) and ran a preclear on it overnight.  My syslog file is attached.  Two questions...

1) It looks to me like the smrtcrtl is not installed.  I'm running unRAID Basic v4.5.6.  I'll have to read more about installing that.

It is installed... Its output is in your syslog.  It has been a standard part of unRAID for a very long time.

2) Can anyone tell me what the smart report is telling me WRT Raw_Read_Error_Rate and UDMA_CRC_Error_Count and if it's anything to be worried about.

Nothing to worry about at all.  The factory initialized values for those two parameters seems to be 253, the "starting" value once the drive gets some use seems to be 200.  The failure threshold is nowhere close.

I'm guessing I'll be told to fix #1 then rerun preclear a few times but wanted to get some input from the experts here.

What makes you think smartctl is not installed?  (it is, and you posted its output as sent to the system log)

Your drive is perfectly fine, you just need to learn a bit more about how to read a smart report.  There is a huge thread with requests similar to yours and the descriptions of how to interpret the results.  Start there for more info.