Guide: How To Use Rclone To Mount Cloud Drives And Play Files

DZMM

1 minute ago, Squid said:

It worked!

But I'm confused what should I use? 

/mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs

or

/mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs

If I add in krusader docker settings it can see both. 

On SMB using unionFS I can write to the share. Using mount_rclone I can't. Is that normal or I did something wrong here?

51 minutes ago, TheFreemancer said:

It worked!

But I'm confused what should I use? 

/mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs

or

/mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs

If I add in krusader docker settings it can see both. 

On SMB using unionFS I can write to the share. Using mount_rclone I can't. Is that normal or I did something wrong here?

I've tried to annotate to make editing easy.  Once the script is added you should have a new folder created at /mnt/user/mount_unionfs.  Inside this folder create your media folders i.e. /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/movies and /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/tv_shows.  These are the folders to add to plex, radarr, sonarr etc.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheFreemancer said:

You should avoid trying to write direct to the mount i.e. to /mount_rclone - always try to write to /mount_unionfs where the file(s) will get stored for a future upload in the background via /rclone_upload. 

You can also add files direct to /rclone_upload if you want, but it's best to use /mount_unionfs unless you know what you are doing so that you don't mess up sonarr, radarr etc

Now to confuse matters - for files that are on gdrive that you want to move within the mount, I find the best way to move them is to move them in /mount_rclone rather than /mount_unionfs as this won't require you to download them just to re-upload, which moving within /mount_unionfs can result in.

this is more of a vent so I dont intend anyone to listen but moving to gsuite/Rclone for hosting files and streaming for Plex has been the worst experience I have had in a very long time. You all have been great with your support and the frustration is not with yall. My frustration is the fact that I made the change and it just sucks. between it taking HOURS to scan 1 into plex with less then 20 files. From it constantly giving me the "Cant write to drive" error. To it going moving files at 100+mbps to 140kbs ... I think I am about over using Gsuite specifically with Rclone. So Thank you all I think I am throwing in the towel. 

Edit*** After talking with a member here who has helped me before... I am going to give it one more go.... 

Edited by tmoran000
4 hours ago, tmoran000 said:

this is more of a vent so I dont intend anyone to listen but moving to gsuite/Rclone for hosting files and streaming for Plex has been the worst experience I have had in a very long time. You all have been great with your support and the frustration is not with yall. My frustration is the fact that I made the change and it just sucks. between it taking HOURS to scan 1 into plex with less then 20 files. From it constantly giving me the "Cant write to drive" error. To it going moving files at 100+mbps to 140kbs ... I think I am about over using Gsuite specifically with Rclone. So Thank you all I think I am throwing in the towel. 

Ur decicion, its working flawless for me and others since months... initial setup is a bitch, but when it works, it works.

Getting my own client id, sped everything up, but it was okay even before.

Edited by nuhll

It was working perfect as well for about 2 months. Then out of no where. Poof it breaks and has been a terrible since, Removed , reset and garbage., I wont waste space on this thread for others needing help. I am just sad that I lost 16tb of data and the fact that it seemed like such a good idea... I just wish there was another option then Rclone. I personally thing it is the issue :/ .  Thanks

17 hours ago, DZMM said:

You should avoid trying to write direct to the mount i.e. to /mount_rclone - always try to write to /mount_unionfs where the file(s) will get stored for a future upload in the background via /rclone_upload. 

You can also add files direct to /rclone_upload if you want, but it's best to use /mount_unionfs unless you know what you are doing so that you don't mess up sonarr, radarr etc

Now to confuse matters - for files that are on gdrive that you want to move within the mount, I find the best way to move them is to move them in /mount_rclone rather than /mount_unionfs as this won't require you to download them just to re-upload, which moving within /mount_unionfs can result in.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I'm using only the mount and unmount script you provided.

All I wanted was to be able to access the files from outside the array and stream those.

And as a bonus be able to edit and even execute some .exe files. I'm testing streaming old games which are light from the cloud.

I'm going to ask the most retarded question but what do you guys use to do the rclone copy command?

My server is headless. If I access it with a browser I can open a terminal and output the command.

But if I close the browser on my other computer I can't check the copy process.

If there a way to log into the array. Do rclone copy, leave it. Get back to it the next day (maybe from another computer) and still access the same terminal session?

Edited by TheFreemancer
3 minutes ago, TheFreemancer said:

All I wanted was to be able to access the files from outside the array and stream those.

And as a bonus be able to edit and even execute some .exe files. I'm testing streaming old games which are light from the cloud.

I'm going to ask the most retarded question but what do you guys use to do the rclone copy command?

My server is headless. If I access it with a browser I can open a terminal and output the command.

If there a way to log into the array. Do rclone copy, leave it. Get back to it the next day (maybe from another computer) and still access the same terminal session?

Use User Scripts and run it in the background. Through the log you can see what's happening if you want but you don't have to keep a window open.

14 minutes ago, TheFreemancer said:

Use Screen from nerd pack

• Like 1

@DZMM

Your setup is working without a hitch here and I'm sorry if this has been discussed in any of the 20 pages of this thread but, would you recommend using a cache for media files with your setup? 

I think I can understand it more, in your setup you have gdrive, crypt, and I'm wondering about adding a disk cache. 

I don't use Plex, I actually use kodi with embycon, which uses emby library and direct stream all the files so no transcoding is necessary. 

Would you recommend this? I really would like to hear from someone way more experienced if that would be a good solution or not. 

I think the amount of API hits to the server would be greatly reduced but it would also complicated even further the entire setup. 

Maybe this would be something for setups with +1000 movies and +500 tv shows? 

1 hour ago, TheFreemancer said:

@DZMM

Your setup is working without a hitch here and I'm sorry if this has been discussed in any of the 20 pages of this thread but, would you recommend using a cache for media files with your setup? 

I think I can understand it more, in your setup you have gdrive, crypt, and I'm wondering about adding a disk cache. 

I don't use Plex, I actually use kodi with embycon, which uses emby library and direct stream all the files so no transcoding is necessary. 

Would you recommend this? I really would like to hear from someone way more experienced if that would be a good solution or not. 

I think the amount of API hits to the server would be greatly reduced but it would also complicated even further the entire setup. 

Maybe this would be something for setups with +1000 movies and +500 tv shows? 

I'm 99% certain that at least for Plex no disks are used to play files - everything is streamed using RAM.  I think even the rclone dir_cache is stored in RAM.  I'm not sure how Kodi works i.e. is the file downloaded before playing - I don't think so.

The thread has kind of got long, which is good - at first I was worried no-one was interested but the collaboration has helped improve setups, including mine.  I've never had an API ban and my library is reasonably big - there are users in this thread with libraries x5 the size of mine and over a Petabyte.  I haven't had any problems or even stuttering for a couple of months, and all my content is in a team drive now:

root@Highlander:~# rclone size tdrive_vfs:
Total objects: 53947
Total size: 248.142 TBytes (272835090178653 Bytes)

Edited by DZMM
  • Like 1

Hi all, been going through the tuto many times but couldn't get it to work after 2 nights trying to figure it out. Followed space invader tuto as well and for some reasons my Google drive content doesn't show in neither windows 10 via smb nor krusader. I try to keep things as simple as possible and just have an easy way to upload our massive library of footages and pictures to Google drive directly from our Unraid server.
And thanks for your help.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, jonathansayeb said:

Hi all, been going through the tuto many times but couldn't get it to work after 2 nights trying to figure it out. Followed space invader tuto as well and for some reasons my Google drive content doesn't show in neither windows 10 via smb nor krusader. I try to keep things as simple as possible and just have an easy way to upload our massive library of footages and pictures to Google drive directly from our Unraid server.
And thanks for your help.

We now magically know whats the problem?! U didnt asked ANY questions. Or told us WHERE ure stuck.

Maybe youre looking in the wrong directory.

Besides that, were supporting here the tutorial on the first page, do it step after step and if you have problems ask specific things so we can help you.

Edited by nuhll

Sorry, it must have been the frustration to get it to work .
I've created all my Google drive mounts and team drives.
I can mount them via script properly.
Once mounted I can see each mounts in both krusader and windows 10 but they are all empty.
I can copy files in the mount but when I check in Google drive the copied files don't appear.
On unraid terminal I can see all the content of the remotes I've setup by using
rclone ls remotename:

My question is how can I see the content of my remotes in krusader and/or smb shares?

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, jonathansayeb said:

Sorry, it must have been the frustration to get it to work emoji28.png.
I've created all my Google drive mounts and team drives.
I can mount them via script properly.
Once mounted I can see each mounts in both krusader and windows 10 but they are all empty.
I can copy files in the mount but when I check in Google drive the copied files don't appear.
On unraid terminal I can see all the content of the remotes I've setup by using
rclone ls remotename:

My question is how can I see the content of my remotes in krusader and/or smb shares?

Thank you.

Make sure you restart Krusader before you test. Krusader often only sees the old situation and not the new one, thus you won't see the mount working. 

When you go to your mount folder (mount_rclone) from the tutorial you should see 1 PiB in size to know it worked.

If you don't see that, your rclone config and mounting was wrong. To help you with that we need more info about your config and mounting script.

• Like 1
Make sure you restart Krusader before you test. Krusader often only sees the old situation and not the new one, thus you won't see the mount working. 
When you go to your mount folder (mount_rclone) from the tutorial you should see 1 PiB in size to know it worked.

If you don't see that, your rclone config and mounting was wrong. To help you with that we need more info about your config and mounting script.
Restarted the server and reinstalled krusader docker and everything looks great now! 1PB ouch Thank you all.

Looking for some quick clarification before I try this, but am I essentially just supposed to download the plugins, then copy and paste the scripts from github to user scripts, and everything should work, more or less? I already have shares setup for Movies/Shows and the like, so I'm a little fuzzy on how to move everything over to where rclone can pick it up without breaking the downloads and media libraries I already have going.

• 2 weeks later...

I cant fix that undeleteable file problem.

18.04.2019 04:40:01 INFO: starting unionfs cleanup.
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/user/rclone_upload/google_vfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv_HIDDEN~': Permission denied

root@Unraid-Server:~# rm -r /mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
root@Unraid-Server:~# rm -r /mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs/Filme/1922\ \(2017\)/
root@Unraid-Server:~# rm -r /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922\ \(2017\)/
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv_HIDDEN~': Permission denied
root@Unraid-Server:~# rm -r /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922\ \(2017\)/1922\ \(2017\).mkv_HIDDEN~ 
root@Unraid-Server:~# chmod 777 /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922\ \(2017\)/1922\ \(2017\).mkv_HIDDEN~ 
chmod: changing permissions of '/mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv_HIDDEN~': Permission denied

any idea?

18 minutes ago, nuhll said:

I cant fix that undeleteable file problem.

18.04.2019 04:40:01 INFO: starting unionfs cleanup.
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/user/rclone_upload/google_vfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv': No such file or directory

root@Unraid-Server:~# rm -r /mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
root@Unraid-Server:~# rm -r /mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs/Filme/1922\ \(2017\)/
root@Unraid-Server:~# rm -r /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922\ \(2017\)/
root@Unraid-Server:~# rm -r /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922\ \(2017\)/1922\ \(2017\).mkv_HIDDEN~ 
root@Unraid-Server:~# chmod 777 /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922\ \(2017\)/1922\ \(2017\).mkv_HIDDEN~ 
chmod: changing permissions of '/mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/.unionfs/Filme/1922 (2017)/1922 (2017).mkv_HIDDEN~': Permission denied

any idea?

remove manually?