Guide: How To Use Rclone To Mount Cloud Drives And Play Files

DZMM

Just now, yendi said:

Yeah, I start to really think that UnBalance created that mess

Unbalance is not recommended anyways. But since you are playing from mount_rclone directly that shouldn't be the problem.

You could try the New Perms on the mount_rclone share. Not sure it it will work (will take a while though) but if that doesn't work I'm pretty much out of ideas.

2 minutes ago, yendi said:

Yeah, I start to really think that UnBalance created that mess

Oh one more idea you could try. If you go through Krusader or Midnight Commander go to mount_rclone and copy all your movies on the mount_rclone to a new movies folder also on mount_rclone. So Movies_old to Movies_new.

It might refresh any wrong settings.

Although now I'm doubting. You could play all movies when you installed the rclone mount on your own Windows pc right? So that seems to indicate that something is wrong with the Unraid rclone mount.

6 hours ago, Kaizac said:

Ah I thought you were already done with the reset and it still didn't work. When do you expect to give an update?

So I have installed a 6.6.7 unRAID with freshly formatted HDD. I tested around 10 movies hosted on rclone mount and NO ISSUE so far !!! It seems to be working flawlessly, I am so relieved :D

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, yendi said:

So I have installed a 6.6.7 unRAID with freshly formatted HDD. I tested around 10 movies hosted on rclone mount and NO ISSUE so far !!! It seems to be working flawlessly, I am so relieved :D

Phew we got there finally 🙂

Rclone + Plex docker rocks.  Saw a post on the forum today about w7mc which brought a smile to my face and made me realise how much my setup has changed over the years:

2002: dell windows machine watching shows at desk

2003-2006: modded xboxs running XBMC

2006-2014: several windows media centers in various rooms + TMT5 mainly, with windows home server for files, although dabbled with Plex at times

2014: bought Plex lifetime licence, Chromecast or Amazon clients on TVs

2016: unraid server built + Plex docker

2017-2018: switched to Kodi running mainly on Android TV clients

2018: back to Plex docker + unraid + rclone

2019: moved all files to gdrive via rclone with no local media.  3 second launch times and creeping towards 400TB stored!!

52 minutes ago, yendi said:

Congratulations!! Nice that you got it solved.

10 minutes ago, DZMM said:

2019: moved all files to gdrive via rclone with no local media.  3 second launch times and creeping towards 400TB stored!!

At this point you're just hoarding right? ;). How much of all that are you actually watching? I'm thinking about just reducing my library. Scrolling through all the media in Plex takes ages hahaha.

21 minutes ago, Kaizac said:

At this point you're just hoarding right? ;). How much of all that are you actually watching? I'm thinking about just reducing my library. Scrolling through all the media in Plex takes ages hahaha.

I've just checked and I've got 8 years of content (2946 days) so I'll never get around to watching all of it, so yep I'm a hoarder!

To counter the large library problem I've been considering using https://github.com/adamgot/python-plexlibrary which @Spladge shared with me.  Although I find the plex random recommendations e.g. 'top unplayed movies' 'top movies in history' to be useful

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, DZMM said:

I've just checked and I've got 8 years of content (2946 days) so I'll never get around to watching all of it, so yep I'm a hoarder!

how did you get this measure? checking on tautilli now, it only give me Played statistics. sitting on 10,509 movies and 3042 tvshows(131169 episodes)

im hoping im not hijacking a thread here but i am after some help with rclone and plex in my unraid box. 

i have created a VPS to re download a lot of my shows as this has a 100/100 unlimited data transfer for cheap. however ive followed spaceinvader ones guide to mounting the storage which works perfectly up until a point, 

When plex is playing a file, if i go to rewind it or forward it, it just crashes plex and in turn locks docker up completely the only way for me to resolve this is to restart my server which is a pain as i run pfsense on it. this has happened a few times, its noticeable when a program is around 75% through, (its happened to my wife on both occasions so ive got to fix this!!!) 

my internet connection is not great but i have 40/10 hence my need for a VPS (quicker than moving my content to gdrive via upload)

i am using Rclone Beta on my unraid 6.7,2 but this has happened on 6.5.3 which is what i was on before upgrade.  playing files is ok and i have only had a streaming / buffering issue from plex twice when playing back a 1080 tv show that is around 5gb for 45 mins,  

this is my mount options for rclone which i have a userscript to mount manually (when i power down the server i have to uninstall the plugin and reinstall when it boots which is a pain) 

mkdir -p $mntpoint
rclone mount --allow-other --buffer-size 1G $remoteshare $mntpoint &

my remote is mounted in disks/cloud and i have read write access for tidying up files and moving the odd file up to gdrive from my server via dolphin.

i have moved a lot of my mechanical disks out of my server and gone pure SSD & M2 storage for files i want quick access to but the films and tv can be considered cold storage and it wouldnt be the end of the world if i lost them (liike what happened when i had amazn drive a couple of years back) 

im using google drive now, 

ive seen a lot of options tailored towards cache drives etc but im not sure if thats what i need, i am only playing media to three clients in my house and most would be two at a time. im not sure what would be helpful to resolve this rewind forward issue, i dont mind waiting a couple of second for a program to start as long as once its there, it doesnt crash my system. 

Edited by jamesac2
1 minute ago, jamesac2 said:

im hoping im not hijacking a thread here but i am after some help with rclone and plex in my unraid box. 

i have created a VPS to re download a lot of my shows as this has a 100/100 unlimited data transfer for cheap. however ive followed spaceinvader ones guide to mounting the storage which works perfectly up until a point, 

When plex is playing a file, if i go to rewind it or forward it, it just crashes plex and in turn locks docker up completely the only way for me to resolve this is to restart my server which is a pain as i run pfsense on it. this has happened a few times, its noticeable when a program is around 75% through, (its happened to my wife on both occasions so ive got to fix this!!!) 

my internet connection is not great but i have 40/10 hence my need for a VPS (quicker than moving my content to gdrive via upload)

i am using Rclone Beta on my unraid 6.7,2 but this has happened on 6.5.3 which is what i was on before upgrade.  playing files is ok and i have only had a streaming issue from plex twice when playing back a 1080 tv show that is around 5gb for 45 mins,  

this is my mount options for rclone which i have a userscript to mount manually (when i power down the server i have to uninstall the plugin and reinstall when it boots which is a pain) 

mkdir -p $mntpoint
rclone mount --allow-other --buffer-size 1G $remoteshare $mntpoint &

my remote is mounted in disks/cloud and i have read write access for tidying up files and moving the odd file up to gdrive from my server via dolphin.

i have moved a lot of my mechanical disks out of my server and gone pure SSD & M2 storage for files i want quick access to but the films and tv can be considered cold storage and it wouldnt be the end of the world if i lost them (liike what happened when i had amazn drive a couple of years back) 

im using google drive now, 

ive seen a lot of options tailored towards cache drives etc but im not sure if thats what i need, i am only playing media to three clients in my house and most would be two at a time. im not sure what would be helpful to resolve this rewind forward issue, i dont mind waiting a couple of second for a program to start as long as once its there, it doesnt crash my system. 

I had rclone crash because of Ram issues. With 1G buffer, I’m pretty sure its this!

Lower your buffer to something like 128 and try again !

The last 2 days, I’m getting a constant issue occurring. I will mount a crypt g drive and everything works fine, I  can access the folders through windows explorer and plex can read them. After about 30 mins, the mount appears to drop and I can no longer access any share on unraid, not even local ones. If I unmount and then remount using user scripts, the shares instantly reappear and everything is working again. 

any ideas?

Edited by Bolagnaise
2 hours ago, Bolagnaise said:

The last 2 days, I’m getting a constant issue occurring. I will mount a crypt g drive and everything works fine, I  can access the folders through windows explorer and plex can read them. After about 30 mins, the mount appears to drop and I can no longer access any share on unraid, not even local ones. If I unmount and then remount using user scripts, the shares instantly reappear and everything is working again. 

any ideas?

Same as the other guy, do you have enough ram? I had those issues because of only having 8 gigs and plex scanning was creating up to 8 simultaneous connections iirc. Because no available memory rclone crashed like you

12 hours ago, yendi said:

I had rclone crash because of Ram issues. With 1G buffer, I’m pretty sure its this!

Lower your buffer to something like 128 and try again !

I have 64gb of ecc ddr4 memory so will change this but I doubt I’ve run out of memory 

I will give it a go but is the buffer not to stop the playback issues? 

Edited by jamesac2

I have 16GB and the buffer is set to 128mb, I did have the low ram issue and fixed it about 5 weeks ago, this feels vastly different. The SMB share becomes entirely inaccessible , whereas when I was running out of memory before I could always access the share and see that the mount had disconnected. Now the only way to access //tower is to unmount and then remount and the server becomes accessible over SMB again. 

To further the clue, it seems that running a plex scan does cause it to crash, but I do not have thumbnails turned on. The ram usage during a plex scan right now is only 20%. As I said, this issue has only started in the last 2 days or so and I never had unmount crashes before during scans. 

Edit: Ok i have done some more investigating, as everything was pointed to an SMB issue, and i seem to have fixed it. Here's what i think was the issue.

1. My network had reverted back to a public profile, by default network sharing is turned off on public and therefore SMB as well, but somehow it was still connecting. I switched back to a private network profile.

2. I enabled this setting https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77442-cannot-connect-to-unraid-shares-from-windows-10/

3. I went to windows credential manager and deleted all saved credentials for mapped drives.

That seems to have done the trick, everything is now incredibly much faster

EDIT EDIT: Problem still not fixed. At my wits end.

Edited by Bolagnaise