Guide: How To Use Rclone To Mount Cloud Drives And Play Files

DZMM

6 minutes ago, Kaizac said:

You could use mount_rclone as your RW folder and it will download directly to your Gdrive. However this will slowed by your upload speed. And it will probably also cause problems while direct writing to the mount. Rclone copy/move/etc. is intended to solve this issue by doing file checks.

ok thx

The real question is: what you want to do?

Do you want to have some files local, some (maybe old?) files online? Then this is the right solution.

You want all online? Then this is the right solution.

You want all offline? Then why would you need this?
;)

My main goal is to be able to rss files localy and upload them automaticaly after the post processing

Thx

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, nuhll said:

This program has nothing to do with downloading and processing it.

But ofc it can upload files to gdrive, you can choose all, or just after some time (i would wait atleast half a year so it doenst upload x better versions of your linux isos when a new release comes out)

Perfect thx for the info

2 hours ago, francrouge said:

Download torrent rss feed then process then upload to my gdrive

This setup supports that - i.e. plex, sonarr, radarr etc all act as normal.

Sonarr 'looks' at the mount_unionfs folder so it functions normally i.e. grab->download->move to media folder - all the rclone script behaviour is invisible to sonarr. 

The upload script 15m delay ensures that Sonarr has finished any post-processing (renaming etc) before the file is uploaded.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DZMM said:

This setup supports that - i.e. plex, sonarr, radarr etc all act as normal.

Sonarr 'looks' at the mount_unionfs folder so it functions normally i.e. grab->download->move to media folder - all the rclone script behaviour is invisible to sonarr. 

The upload script 15m delay ensures that Sonarr has finished any post-processing (renaming etc) before the file is uploaded.

thx a lot

In mine i set the upload folder to be my current Media Share.  I then changed Plex, Sonarr, Radarr etc to point to the union fs mount.

Currently i'm just manually shunting video's up to the cloud.  But once i'm happy with my process i'm going to set my script to copy anything older than 1 year to the cloud.  Then as i start to run out of storage i will increase the time.

The way i see it i will eventually replace my current HDDs with more flash local playback of new in demand shows and then copy up to the cloud after.

Process is working flawlessly for me.  I can't even tell the difference between spinning up a drive and playing from the cloud.  The only thing that is a bit slower on cloud is seeking.

unionfs -o cow,allow_other,direct_io,auto_cache,sync_read /mnt/user/Media=RW:/mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs/Media=RO /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/Media

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sauso said:

In mine i set the upload folder to be my current Media Share.  I then changed Plex, Sonarr, Radarr etc to point to the union fs mount.

Currently i'm just manually shunting video's up to the cloud.  But once i'm happy with my process i'm going to set my script to copy anything older than 1 year to the cloud.  Then as i start to run out of storage i will increase the time.

The way i see it i will eventually replace my current HDDs with more flash local playback of new in demand shows and then copy up to the cloud after.

Process is working flawlessly for me.  I can't even tell the difference between spinning up a drive and playing from the cloud.  The only thing that is a bit slower on cloud is seeking.

unionfs -o cow,allow_other,direct_io,auto_cache,sync_read /mnt/user/Media=RW:/mnt/user/mount_rclone/google_vfs/Media=RO /mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/Media

I started this way and eventually as I got more comfortable I went all in for plex media, and I've also lots of other files to the point where my server is just photos and personal docs.  I'm gone from around 44TB in my array to only 16TB, where only around 4TB is permanent.

Re seeking, to be my mind it's got better since I started using rclone but it might be because I've got used to it now that I've gone all in.  Have you tried experimenting with --buffer-size ?? I think a bigger buffer might help with forward seeking (not backward of course)

• Like 1
I started this way and eventually as I got more comfortable I went all in for plex media, and I've also lots of other files to the point where my server is just photos and personal docs.  I'm gone from around 44TB in my array to only 16TB, where only around 4TB is permanent.

Re seeking, to be my mind it's got better since I started using rclone but it might be because I've got used to it now that I've gone all in.  Have you tried experimenting with --buffer-size ?? I think a bigger buffer might help with forward seeking (not backward of course)
For me its working great the only thing right now is that it takes a couple of second to load a movie from the gdrive

18 hours ago, DZMM said:

Will give it a shot.  Haven't really experimented with it yet.  Got sidelined moving all my dockers to their own vlan.

So had a power outage last night and my server restarted. (will be investing in a UPS soon!)

When my server came back up the mount script failed as the rclone_running file was still present.  If the server is gracefully shut down the unmount script removes this file.

Has anyone else found a way to combat this?

2 hours ago, sauso said:

might touch a new file called unclean_shutdown and work that into the script to delete the running file. if it was an unclean shutdown

Just create 2 scripts. One for your rclone mount first start and your rclone continous mount. In your first start script you put at the beginning to delete the check files which should be removed to run the script properly.

5 hours ago, sauso said:

So had a power outage last night and my server restarted. (will be investing in a UPS soon!)

When my server came back up the mount script failed as the rclone_running file was still present.  If the server is gracefully shut down the unmount script removes this file.

Has anyone else found a way to combat this?

Run the unmount script at array start rather than shutdown - that's what I do

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Kaizac said:

How do you make sure the unmount script is run before the mount script?

I run my mount script on a 5 min cron job */5 * * * * so even if I'm unlucky and the unmount hasn't run yet, it gets fixed on the next run 5 mins later

On 7/11/2019 at 11:02 AM, sauso said:

I feel like i'm going loopy.  I can't see anywhere in the unmount script that removes /mnt/user/appdata/other/rclone/rclone_mount_running

Am i going mad or is there another place that this is removed?

fixed on github.  Sorry about that - not sure how that went missing

Edited by DZMM
  • Like 1