Web UI Plugins Page Not Loading, Dockers not updating (vmdk)

This is a a VMware ESXI VM.

My Web UI Plugins Page Not Loading, it just hangs with circular loading image. Additionally, and not sure if this is related, the Community Apps hangs on 'updating content' and then after a couple min. It states cannot connect to app feeds.

All other Web UI screens are fine and plugins appear to be running, for example unassigned drives is visible under Main. 

Nothing is jumping out at me when I tail the log:

cat /var/log/syslog | more

A reboot and reinstall of Community Apps plg url did not resolve it either. 

How do I troubleshoot this? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Edited by guruleenyc

Some additional findings:

• Plugins page still not loading, hangs never showing listed installed plugins
  • Apps tab (community apps) still hangs at Updating content....and then give appfeed inaccessible error.
  • Plugins are accessible and functioning from Settings tab, for example ca backup,  ca auto update
  • FixIt plugin showing possible dns issue and that it cannot communicate with github, or github is down. But I can ping github.com from unraid CLI....

Can someone help me figure this out?

Edited by guruleenyc

Nov 7 08:56:37 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Unable to communicate with GitHub.com

I don't believe its a comm. issue to github, as I can ping it from unraid CLI:

root@Tower:~# ping -c 3 github.com
PING github.com (192.30.253.113) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from lb-192-30-253-113-iad.github.com (192.30.253.113): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=21.1 ms
64 bytes from lb-192-30-253-113-iad.github.com (192.30.253.113): icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=20.9 ms
64 bytes from lb-192-30-253-113-iad.github.com (192.30.253.113): icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=25.6 ms

Edited by guruleenyc
26 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

So resetting my pfsense states fixed the Community Apps and it now loads appfeeds.

😁

26 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

BUT my plugins tab still does not load and list all my installed plugins.

Try it again then upload your diagnostics

If you don't post your diagnostics publicly then it won't be possible for anyone else to examine them and offer advice. That places an unfair burden on Squid who, though he's very knowledgeable and generous with his time, is nevertheless an unpaid volunteer, as is anyone who isn't labelled "Administrator". Diagnostics are anonymised by default - you can examine them yourself to verify that.

• Like 1

An excerpt from the Need Help sticky:

PLEASE do not privately ask the moderators or other users for personal support!  Helpful moderators and users are just users like yourself, unpaid volunteers, and do not provide official support, so it is better to ask support questions on the forum instead.  That way, you get the benefit of having answers from the whole community, instead of just one person who may or may not know, or may be wrong, or may be unavailable.  Plus, you will probably get faster help.  And, other users in the community can benefit by learning from your problem and its solution.

Your syslog has lots and lots of this:

Nov  7 17:45:36 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Nov  7 17:45:36 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 15633408 512-byte logical blocks: (8.00 GB/7.45 GiB)
Nov  7 17:45:37 Tower rc.diskinfo[8287]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.

which makes it very difficult to read. The first thing I'd do is remove or update the Preclear plugin to fix the rc.diskinfo noise. The USB controller that has your boot flash device keeps being reset, which will create havoc since that's where your configuration information is stored. But I see you're running on virtualised hardware, which is a complication. On a bare metal installation I'd suggest plugging your boot flash device into a different USB port but that may well have implications when running as a VM. I have no experience of running a virtual Unraid server. I'm surprised you didn't mention it in your OP.

Edited by John_M
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, John_M said:

I have no experience of running a virtual Unraid server. I'm surprised you didn't mention it in your OP.

True I suspect for most of us. And this configuration is "officially unsupported". There is a subforum dedicated to Virtualizing Unraid though.

Should I move this thread there where it might get some attention from somebody who does have experience?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, trurl said:

True I suspect for most of us. And this configuration is "officially unsupported". There is a subforum dedicated to Virtualizing Unraid though.

Should I move this thread there where it might get some attention from somebody who does have experience?

Yes please. 

I deleted preclear.plg and it's associated folder under /boot/config/plugin

Going to reboot now. 

9 hours ago, John_M said:

Your syslog has lots and lots of this:

Nov  7 17:45:36 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Nov  7 17:45:36 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 15633408 512-byte logical blocks: (8.00 GB/7.45 GiB)
Nov  7 17:45:37 Tower rc.diskinfo[8287]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.

which makes it very difficult to read. The first thing I'd do is remove or update the Preclear plugin to fix the rc.diskinfo noise. The USB controller that has your boot flash device keeps being reset, which will create havoc since that's where your configuration information is stored. But I see you're running on virtualised hardware, which is a complication. On a bare metal installation I'd suggest plugging your boot flash device into a different USB port but that may well have implications when running as a VM. I have no experience of running a virtual Unraid server. I'm surprised you didn't mention it in your OP.

Thank you for your advice. I'll try another USB port to see if it suppresses the resets. Interesting enough, everything else appears to be running fine at the surface, except for the Plugins tab not loading. 

23 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

Yes please. 

I deleted preclear.plg and it's associated folder under /boot/config/plugin

Going to reboot now. 

After reboot and I'm seeing remnants of preclear still:

Nov 8 06:47:42 Tower nginx: 2018/11/08 06:47:42 [error] 4968#4968: *993 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.186, server: , request: "POST /plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "172.16.1.5", referrer: "http://172.16.1.5/Tools/Diagnostics"

How can I clean this up? 

1 hour ago, John_M said:

Are you seeing that after a reboot? The Preclear plugin hooks itself into the Unassigned Devices area of the Main page so perhaps simply deleting the .plg and folder doesn't remove all traces of it that uninstalling it via the Plugins page of the GUI would do.

@John_M The original problem here is that I cannot get to the Web UI Plugin tab screen (see above), so I how else do I completely uninstall it? 

2018-11-08_9-13-59.png

Edited by guruleenyc

It was merely my observation and a possible explanation for what you're seeing. In order to serve up a page such as the Plugins page nginx has to piece it together from the PHP files of all the plugins you have installed. So they need to be readable - is your boot device's USB controller still being reset? It might be worth clearing out all your plugins, then rebooting and reinstalling them one or two at a time. As a test you could try starting up in Safe Mode, which bypasses the loading of all plugins.

Update:

Interesting finding, after disabling PIA VPN client/gateway off pfsense and directing unraid traffic out ISP directly, the unraid web UI plugin page loads and list all plugins now. Additionally, Community Applications tab now loads.

Going to re-introduce PIA VPN and then re-direct unraid traffic out PIA again to verify.

Update: 

So when I route unraid traffic out PIA VPN, the problem with my web UI plugins page returns and hangs w/o loading plugin list. However, the Community Apps tab still works, but it obviously slower to load (20sec). If I add a pfsense FW rule to force github.com, github.io and docker.com out my ISP and not PIA VPN, Community Apps loads in approx. 1-2sec.

The only thing I could think of is PIA VPN IP is blacklisted, or some sort of filtering....

Edited by guruleenyc