Battle of the VM: macOS VS Windows 10 Pro

Zer0Nin3r

Battle of the VM: macOS VS Windows 10 Pro  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SUNDAY!! SUNDAY!! SUNDAY!!

Come witness the Battle of the VM's live in 3-D!

Chaos and Mayhem guaranteed!

Greetings @everyone! I am curious to know your thoughts on which OS running inside a VM will give me the best performance. I edit photos in Lightroom, Photoshop, and Lumen. Video editing is also something I do with FCP X. While my primary workflow has been macOS based, I am open to the idea of installing my Adobe programs on a Windows VM if that means I will get better performance.

My thoughts and assumptions:

• Windows is "VM friendly"
    • Meaning, it knows when it is being ran as a VM. I would imagine that Windows will optimize itself automatically under these conditions.
    • Windows will make better, more efficient use of the resources available to the VM.
  • macOS
    • Thinks it's running on Apple hardware, but because we are using "magic" to trick the OS into working for a hypervisor as a guest VM, we will take a hit in performance.
    • While we are able to pass an Nvidia GPU onto the macOS VM, this will increase performance, but because we are hacking the OS, we are susceptible to degraded performance.
    • It's well known that Apple isn't bleeding edge technology. That being said, performance will/may lag behind that of Windows workstations when compared in performing tasks such as rendering.

As mentioned in the other thread, cpu performance is the same (from my own testing) but windows handles GPU performance better (sometimes as much as 40% better performance.)

Bu with that aid, I use osx because I can't stand windows and my home ecosystem is mac.

• Like 1