rsync issue was working now ask's password on remote yet no password

hi i been getting help to have automated rsync to work in a script  was working..  

i modified go files  followed the one forum  steps  to make the ssh  and copy it over was working 

now stopped    i get rysnc errors 

if i run the file on its own in terminal  it will go back to yes no  option  or its the ask's for a password on the backup server computer

but i have no password for Root  i dont use a password on either main server or the backup server  password is blank..  but its telling me password not right  so what happened with rsync..    

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and what im frustrated also with is.. why is there to Flash folders

when it tells me to edit the Go file or make folders on the Flash folder they are wrong

when i go over to the Windows share Flash  and edit stuff there it does nothing  i found there is a 2nd flash folder

when i use filezilla  and then there is the boot folder for the flash  

whats the purpose of windows flash share if this doesnt work very frustrating i have no idea what files to ever edit etc

if i make a user with a password on the backup server  and i run the command line i get this error

root@Tower:~#     rsync -avu --stats --numeric-ids --progress -e "ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa -T -o Compression=no -x"  /mnt/user/Pictures/ mike@MitchTower:/mnt/user/Pictures/
Warning: Identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa not accessible: No such file or directory.
mike@mitchtower's password:
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.3]
root@Tower:~#

35 minutes ago, comet424 said:

and what im frustrated also with is.. why is there to Flash folders

when it tells me to edit the Go file or make folders on the Flash folder they are wrong

when i go over to the Windows share Flash  and edit stuff there it does nothing  i found there is a 2nd flash folder

when i use filezilla  and then there is the boot folder for the flash  

whats the purpose of windows flash share if this doesnt work very frustrating i have no idea what files to ever edit etc

There should not be two ‘flash’ Shares - if you have them then you must have done something to create them.    Note that under linux folder/file names are case sensitive so that ‘flash’ is not the same as ‘Flash’.    Similarity ‘boot’ is not the same as ‘Boot’.    Also it is the ‘go’ file, not the ‘Go’ file.

Things can get confusing if you accidentally creat a file/folder with the wrong capitalisation as Samba tries to emulate windows case-independence.     However if you have folders with different capitalisation it will arbitrarily pick one of them to show over the network hiding the other one.

well  i only have 1 Flash share in windows  when you install Unraid.. it automaticlly gives you a flash share

and i alter the go file from the config folder that does nothing  

but then there is filezilla     boot/config/  go file  s

so im confused  

why is  Flash/Config/go file not the same as   boot/config/go file

whats the purpose of the flash folder when it says edit the files from flash  when  i gotta edit the flash folder and the boot/ folder

then i read there is a root/ folder havent seen that

i cant even unshare unraids  Flash folder.. as it complains in  common issues ... 

but i never created 2 flash folders  unraid did that/

Flash (windows share)

boot/ (filezilla share)   

both exactly the same  

when i did the steps to do  MKDIR .ssh  and the copy of the ssh stuff  using the terminal

its no where to be seen under FLASH share 

im getting annoyed with this stuff..  there should be only 1 Flash share then  Flash  and i wanna delete the boot/  through filiezilla  

since its just duplicated

no point in keeping 2 copies  then i can make all the adjustments under the Flash share folder unraid made

cuz i cant get this rsync   to work  nore this  tac command to work either

just getting frustrated 

so u can see both the same  yet if i put a file in one  its not shown up in the other....  if i make a directory under Windows flash folder  it doesnt show up on the filezilla

and since i dont wanna use this filezilla  i just perfer to delete that boot folder since its the same as the windows flash folder and ill just edit things from windows share

as no point  both copies being the same 

as i edited the go file under flash/config   but its not the same as boot/config/go file

so  whats up with this bs 

i hear unraid supposed to be soo much good but im more frustrated with this command line prompt... and i was using freenas before for rysnc is windows gui based and i have no idea why unraids rysnc isnt windows based  have to enter all this coding,..  it was easier in freenas click this box enter in this detail and save  and then shows you progroses  how much percentage is complete of the rsync

i like the unraid but it seems more complicated for rsync  all this editing never had to do any of this editing in freenas figured  unraid had a gui based just like freenas

so dont mind me being frustrated  im a windows user  not really a command prompt user

and what i want is unraid to wake up a backup computer  send the new files  delete any old files say after 30 days from the backup server

then shut down the backup server   and do this like once a week and also send certain folders over the internet to my sisters unraid box.. and her unraid send certain folders to mine once a week to keep data replicated and backed up

and apparently rsync is only one that does this as a script thing i learning

as i only went with unraid because of LinusTechTips  and they use peersoftware but that software is 2000 dollars  so not worth it just to replicate my data from unraid to unraid

well i tried to make new ssh file  etc  and i send it and i get this error... 

how do i repair this rsync

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:8uGy8JFZRN905agR764H+fjxeqMFJmaFvgcfOo5hUbU.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending ECDSA key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:1
ECDSA host key for 192.168.0.8 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.
lost connection

If I might make a suggestion, try writing in sentences and use punctuation, even though it's rather old fashioned and untrendy. That way people who want to try to help you might have a chance of understanding you. I tried and gave up in frustration. You need to make it easier for anyone who wants to try to help you.

sorry very hard with dislexia and learning disability

well what are you confused about..

i thought i wrote in sentencess.. .stating that there is 2 flash folders  a boot and a flash  and i deleted the ssh  folders now i was going to delete teh BOOT folder  so that the Flash folder will only remain...

and i posted the errors rysnc is showing

ok so ill re sum up everything

do i delete FLASH folder in Windows  or do i delete the BOOT folder  in filezilla  as  they are the same yet different..

do i edit the GO file in Flash Folder in windows or do i edit the GO file in the BOOT folder in Filezilla

why is rysnc  asking for a password when the server doesnt use a password

how do i delete Flash folder since it seems  not important and Share it Boot Folder... since Terminal,  when i type mkdir hello   makes a folder on the Boot (filezilla)   but doesnt make the directory Flash in windows share..

there is some of it summed up hope that helps

5 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ok so ill re sum up everything

do i delete FLASH folder in Windows  or do i delete the BOOT folder  in filezilla  as  they are the same yet different..

do i edit the GO file in Flash Folder in windows or do i edit the GO file in the BOOT folder in Filezilla

why is rysnc  asking for a password when the server doesnt use a password

how do i delete Flash folder since it seems  not important and Share it Boot Folder... since Terminal,  when i type mkdir hello   makes a folder on the Boot (filezilla)   but doesnt make the directory Flash in windows share..

there is some of it summed up hope that helps

The flash share in Windows is your unRAID usb drive.  Definitely do not delete that.  If you delete the contents of the flash share, you will wipe out everything on the unRAID flash drive.  If you are working with WIndows, it sees the USB flash drive as the folder called flash.

/boot simply refers to the root of the flash drive as that is how unRAID mounts the volume.  If you are working from the command line, /boot is how you reference the flash drive.

If from the console or terminal session you type 'cd /boot' and the list the contents you will see exactly what you see when you open the flash share in Windows.

The Go file is in the /config folder at the root of the flash share.

You do not need to be using Filezilla to edit anything.  In fact, it is totally unnecessary in this process.

Might be best if you post the output of 

ls -ail /mnt/user

This will show all your shares.  Odds on, you've somehow created a share called "Flash" which is conflicting with the unRaid share called flash.  Windows does really funky things with identically named shares and with similarily named shares only differing by upper/lowercase.

well reason i getting confused

when i followed the instructions  to setup ssh etc

in Terminal  

i typed  MKDIR .SSH    or if i did MKDIR HELLO

well it doesnt show up on the FLASH usb file folder

i also needed to make Logs/cron  folder for the log files   if i made it in windows under  tower\flash\config\logs\cron     unraid didnt find it

when i did  MKdir  logs  and mkdir logs\cron     then the logs were created... but this folder was saved in the BOOT

this is why i getting confused  why doesnt anything work  when i create folders under windows Share Flash

and why are all the plugins hidden  if i use filezilla  i see the plugins  and all these extra files...  i use windows goto the flash  same location no files

its like Flash folder has like 100 files and the Boot location has like 200 files

why are they soooo different???  files i make in Terminal dont show up in Flash

and here is that image squid askedunraid3.JPG.ed2abe32471ce2879889afa49950202d.JPG

To unconfuse the issue initially,

mv /mnt/user/flash /mnt/user/notflash

This will rename the flash share to be notflash.  This will stop Windows from continually having a hissy fit as to what's going on.  As to how it got created in the first place, it was something that you did or misconfigured a backup or something.

so like i was saying  if i make a folder called logs\cron  in windows on left side.. it doesnt show up on the right side

and user script doesnt like that  says file area doesnt exisit

but if i make the folder in the right side above  it doesnt show up on the left side (windows )  side  but the user script sees the folder logs\crons

so im just getting confused

but ya when i remember  when i first installed unraid there was like 4 folders i think

appdata

domain

flash

iso

so ok its renamed to noflash  and i was able to unshare it now  so its not exported...  

will that fix the issues     

and now how do i share that boot location  so instead of using filezilla  i can access that location with windows 

so when i make a file folder.. in windows  unraid will see it..

and is there a command to fix the rsync  as i deleted the ssh folders to try to fix the password issue