Hidden Post | Burried Treasure

Zer0Nin3r

This is a test for what the 'hide' button does when you reply to a thread.

I've searched the Invision Community's website, but they don't have anything in their documentation. My assumption is that it allows you to reply to a thread without search engines crawling your reply and storing it on their servers yet, registered forum users can still read your reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see all of these hidden posts as a Mod. I can even Unhide them as I did for Zer0Nin3r Test II above . Not clear to me what the purpose is though.

When we get new posters waiting for approval their initial post is hidden until we approve it.

But I don't see why a user would want to hide their own post, especially if they can't see it or unhide it, instead of just deleting it. Can normal users delete their own posts? I can't tell since as a Mod I can delete any post.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, BRiT said:

Have you found the Seek Button yet?

Deja-Vu.

LoLz. No I haven't.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

But I don't see why a user would want to hide their own post, especially if they can't see it or unhide it, instead of just deleting it. Can normal users delete their own posts?

I can see a use wherein a forum user will want to post to the forum and yet, they don't want it fully and readily accessible by a search engine such as Google. e.g. information that the user deems as sensitive in nature; limit meta-data

1 hour ago, Zer0Nin3r said:

LoLz. No I haven't.

I can see a use wherein a forum user will want to post to the forum and yet, they don't want it fully and readily accessible by a search engine such as Google. e.g. information that the user deems as sensitive in nature; limit meta-data

Yes but that's not what we have here. 

Seems like ...

The Hide Button is just a "Soft Delete". Where it's capable of being brought back by Mods and Admins.

So can Deleted Posts be brought back by Mods and Admins on this forum?

On XenForo, its very configurable, but on my sites its setup as foklows...

The users can not "delete" their own posts if someone has replied to it or a certain amount of time has passed, same with editing. Otherwise they csn "delete" their posts.

The moderators can "delete" posts, but its just a "soft delete". The posts are merely flagged as being deleted and then not shown to users and moderators. The information is still in the database. Only Admins can see these posts after clicking on show deleted post content. The admins can UnDelete those posts if needed.

The Admins can "hard delete" posts, where all of the post is removed from the database tables. These posts can not be Undeleted without doing database restores from earlier points in time.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, BRiT said:

So can Deleted Posts be brought back by Mods and Admins on this forum?

Can't speak for the Admins, but I have never seen a post after it was deleted and don't know how I would find it. Sometimes I will get an email to approve a new poster, and when I go there the post isn't there anymore so I assume it was deleted by the new poster. Then I have nothing to approve.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:58 PM, trurl said:

When we get new posters waiting for approval their initial post is hidden until we approve it.

Also when we flag a spammer all their posts become hidden. I guess that could be better than deletion since I assume we could unflag them and their posts would reappear. But I haven't tested this.

45 minutes ago, Squid said:

Somewhat related, but does anyone know the difference between hard and soft deletes in tapatalk?

Sent via telekinesis

Does Tapatalk show the Hide feature? If not, then maybe Tapatalk is translating Soft-Delete to Hide on Invision forums, and Hard-Delete to Delete?

On XenForo when I had Tapatalk installed on my forum servers and used the Tapatalk-App, the Soft-Delete was a normal delete where the post could still be recovered by the Admins. The moderators could only do a normal delete, and only the admins had the choice between Delete and Hard-Delete.

That was a while ago, I cancelled all my forums service with Tapatalk right around the time when Tapatalk decided to be unethical and steal everyone's content in order to make money for themselves.