Parity check custom schedule not working

Lothar

I have been unable to get the custom schedule to work for the parity check on both of my servers. I would like it to run the first Monday of every other month at 02:00. This is how I set it - Custom, Monday, First week, 02:00, Jan-Mar-May-Etc. With these settings applied it will run every single Monday. What am I missing?

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Kristijan said:

Hi I have version 6.6.7 but custom schedule not working. Is there any fix?

It might be worth providing a screen shot of the settings page to see if we can spot what might be wrong.   I did not think there was any known problem in that area on the release you mention.

6 hours ago, itimpi said:

It might be worth providing a screen shot of the settings page to see if we can spot what might be wrong.   I did not think there was any known problem in that area on the release you mention.

My setting. I setup first Saturday everi 2 month. Parity check not start never on schedule.

6.PNG

2 hours ago, Kristijan said:

I try before make a change, frst week, last week, but parity check never start.

Your entry looks at first glance like it should work, but with your settings my entry reads

# Generated parity check schedule:
0 0 * 2,4,6,8,10,12 6 [[ $(date +%e) -le 7 ]] && /usr/local/sbin/mdcmd check  &> /dev/null || :

which is slightly different to yours.   I am 6.7 rc7 so that may explain the difference, but why it seems to need '*' in the third field and the check for Saturday moved to the executed command I am not sure.  I guess it could be a bug or limitation in the crond daemon?

Edited by itimpi
32 minutes ago, Kristijan said:

What mean &> /dev/null || : ?

That is used to discard any console output from the command and to avoid raising an error which might result in an attempt to send an email.   It is a standard Linux/Unix technique when running commands in the background.

Edited by itimpi
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

That is used to discard any console output from the command and to avoid raising an error which might result in an attempt to send an email.   It is a standard Linux/Unix technique when running commands in the background.

Ok tnx. But other command don't have ||. This is difference.

3 minutes ago, Kristijan said:

Ok tnx. But other command don't have ||. This is difference.

I think that is the part that discards the error return code from the command.   Any script that is known to only return 0 as the return code would not need it.

Edited by itimpi
13 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think that is the part that discards the error return code from the command.   Any script that is known to only return 0 as the return code would not need it. 

OK, tnx everything clear (how script know to send mail if on end have &> /dev/null || : ), but I don't understand why my scheduler not working, this cron is automaticaly created. I will wait new stable release :)

Edited by Kristijan
  • 1 month later...
On 4/8/2019 at 9:39 PM, Kristijan said:

Hi I have version 6.6.7 but custom schedule not working. Is there any fix?

I also could not set Scheduled Parity Check, using 6.6.7,  Upon [save] it showed as "disabled".

Also could not map network shares in windows while Parity check was running. . Reboot fixed this.

Actually,  given the number of times a reboot has fixed the odd issue my unraid box has had over the years,  perhaps a "Reboot" section is needed on the Scheduler page.?

Edited by lemoncurry