My USB just died So scared.. (SOLVED)

shazza6887

Hi all, I just added my last 8tb drive to my existing array of 5 to make it a total of 6. I have been having a wierd issue with the USB stick i used as in it would sometimes not boot into Unraid unless i changed the usb slot, It looks like it has now fully cooked!

I am a complete novice when it comes to all this stuff so im freaking out. Initially when i set it all up i followed guides on youtube and got all the reccomended apps etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get me up and running again and pls pls pls make sure i dont do something stupid and overite or format my data etc?

First thing to is to shut the server down, pull the flash drive and run a chkdsk on it.  It is possible that will fix your problem.   

IF that does NOT fix it read through this thread.  It will get you started and perhaps get you up and running again.

If you have questions or something does seem right, or make sense in your situation, be sure to ask questions.  

8 minutes ago, shazza6887 said:

What is my first step go out and buy a new flash drive?

Yes.  Then follow the instructions about getting a new .key file.  Hopefully, you can locate the one from the old drive.  The link to the LimeTech webpage to that is in the referenced thread.  

5 minutes ago, shazza6887 said:

Should i remove the lastest drive i added to make things easier identifying disks etc?

That would probably make thing simpler.  I am assuming that you had not gotten to the point where you were adding data files on the drive.

I cannot acess my old drive what so ever :( it is completly gone!

No i had nothing added to the dirve, i will remove it before moving forward.

I found an old Kingston Data Traveller 100 G3 16GB and just installed Unriad to it UEFI bootable, would this be ok or should i go out and buy a fresh one?

Can i start getting things going without retreiving my key file or should i contact Limetech before starting up again?

7 hours ago, shazza6887 said:

I found an old Kingston Data Traveller 100 G3 16GB and just installed Unriad to it UEFI bootable, would this be ok or should i go out and buy a fresh one?

Depends on how much use that drive has seen.  If it was only used occasionally, it should be fine to use.  If it was in daily use, I would definitely get a new one.  Should you purchase a new one, get one smaller than 32GB and a USB2.  (Try to avoid purchasing a USB3 drive as that have been problems with them not working correctly with a few MB's.  The increased speed is of no advantage with Unraid as the OS is installed on RAM disk as the server boots and the flash drive is not accessed after that until you shutdown.) 

7 hours ago, shazza6887 said:

Ok i just read up on replacing key, it seems once i reinstall i can use my original key that was emailed to me to begin with then request a new key through my GUI?

Absolutely!  LimeTech automated the procedure sometime back as a Customer Service improvement.  The Customer can receive a new .key file once a year for each license owned using this procedure.  If you require a second new .key file (Example, if that 16Gb Kingston were to fail...) in less than a year, you would have to contact them and explain what is going on. 

All the drives have (sdb) (sdc) etc after them i am pretty sure when i started with 3 drives i made the first drive the parity one which was (sdb) but cannot be sure :(

*edit it seems if i assign all the drives to a data i will be left with one that will say unformatted and then bingo that was my parity drive?

Read this post in that thread that I posted earlier:

I believe it is pretty clear.   Those sdX references are assigned to any drive that the OS finds as it boots up.  They have nothing to do with your previous configuration.  You are looking for ONE (and only one drive) drive to be unformatted.  That will be your parity drive.  

15 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Read this post in that thread that I posted earlier:

I believe it is pretty clear.   Those sdX references are assigned to any drive that the OS finds as it boots up.  They have nothing to do with your previous configuration.  You are looking for ONE (and only one drive) drive to be unformatted.  That will be your parity drive.  

Ok found the drive that said 'Unmountable' took a photo of the drive letters etc what is the next step?

Click on new config? in tools tab?

18 minutes ago, shazza6887 said:

Ok found the drive that said 'Unmountable' took a photo of the drive letters etc what is the next step?

Click on new config? in tools tab?

Note it is the Drive serial numbers that matters - not the sdX type names.

doing the New Config option and then assigning the drives as required should get you back up and running as before.

The parity drive is the unformatted one.  You assign it as parity.  Then assign all of the other drives as data drives.  Order of data drive assignment is not important (with single parity).  After soon as you do the assignments and start the array, a parity check will start.  Let it complete and you will have a protected array again.  Your old data and shares will be there!

Read the last paragraph in this post:

If you had had a current backup, you would have saved yourself hours of anxiety!   Start making backups EVERY time you make a configuration change or OS upgrade.  I would start when this parity check is complete before you even start adding back in those Dockers/Plugins.  Then do another one when you are finished installing them. 

21 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Read the last paragraph in this post:

If you had had a current backup, you would have saved yourself hours of anxiety!   Start making backups EVERY time you make a configuration change or OS upgrade.  I would start when this parity check is complete before you even start adding back in those Dockers/Plugins.  Then do another one when you are finished installing them. 

I am all back up and runnign with a backup! Thank you so much for your help!

Peace!

• shazza6887 changed the title to My USB just died So scared.. (SOLVED)
  • 6 months later...
On 11/10/2018 at 7:53 AM, Frank1940 said:

Good to hear.  Be sure to mark your thread as solved.  See here:

Hey. I just wanted to thank you Frank1940. I had my usb drive fail on me completely and never made a back-up. Stupid me didn't even think about a back-up on the OS...but its only been 45 days in so it was very unexpected. I was in full panic mode and this thread helped me get back up and running. Thank you for lending your expertise and insight. I am sure this one has helped many of more.

Archived