Print server - Connecting a USB printer

I have looked around and I saw a few people has all ready asked this question but I have not been able to find a answer to my solution.

what I would like to do is to plug my USB Brother Printer into the UnRaid workstation and then share the printer on local network to my Microsoft windows.

I have done some reading but I haven't see anyone posting a solution to this only suggesting ideals.

I don't want to use a VM client to host the print services as I see this taking away the resources from my Unraid

I have seen people talking about 'Cups' ? that will allow you to do this but again no one has come back saying that this works.

so can anyone inform me if they have this option working and if so how.

Since no one else has jumped in, let me give you a couple of thoughts.

First, if you search in the APPS plugin for Unraid, you will find that there is a CUPS container.  I had a look at the support thread (last few pages) and seems to be a project in slow motion.  You could try that one as you could get some support if you have problems.

Second thought,  running a printer server today is practically obsolete!  That is why there isn't much interest in a CUPS environment for Unraid!  Networks printers are so much easier to deploy and use.  And you really have to scrape the bottom of the price barrel  is even find one without WiFi or Ethernet support.  (I, personally, use a wired connection for all my printers as they are almost foolproof to deploy and use with very few networking issues.)  I believe that all recent releases of all OS's have an easy setup to print directly to a networked printer.  I know for Windows that every networked printer I have installed, the printer driver will actually search and find the printers that it supports.

• 2 weeks later...

It is really very common issues that most of the Printer users may get trouble in such a server related problem. It has several server connection problems due to may be got down. You may get the details information from Epson error code 0xf1 to know in details.

Edited by trurl
Disarm link of likely spammer
  • 4 years later...