[NOT SOLVED]Motherboard Replaced... now what

Ebein

4 minutes ago, Ebein said:

this is what I'm seeing, I tried the 4 front panel USB's ( 2 2.0, 2 3.0 ) and the 4 rear ones and each time the file is not on the thumbdrive when i move it back to the windows PC to open the zip and post it here.

If you're not doing this, you do have to reboot each time you unplug the stick

45 minutes ago, John_M said:

The USB stick itself could be faulty.

A possibility.  I seem to recall that someone else had a USB flash drive that did drop offline.  Apparently, it is a very rare occurrence.  (They generally either quit all together or have reading/writing issues.)  Easy way to tell is to install Unraid on another drive and boot it up and see if the system is staple with the new drive.  Not to worry, it won't touch your your current drives unless you start assigning drives.  You are just testing to see if it boots properly and stays online.  I would not get a new .key file for that 'test' drive until I was sure that solves the problem. And then I would make sure that I had 'name-brand' USB2 flash drive with less than 32GB.

• Like 1

i reformatted a microcenter 32gb flash drive and installed a trial key of unraid on it, and it boots fine on the 4 usb ports i tried it on.  Leading me to believe my previous USB drive was faulty, is there some kind of stress test I can do to verify.   And since it seems I'll be replacing the USBkey, is unraid smart enough to know which drives where used for parity when i set it up, or is there some way for me to make sure i dont destroy all my data when starting up the new unraid usb key?

I have a 32gb samsung USB drive coming tomorrow to do the permanent install on along with the 9pin to USB adapter to move the drive to the interior of the system.

If you can still read the old flash drive in your PC then copy the config folder and all its contents onto the new flash drive after you've installed Unraid on it. That will preserve your disk assignments, share settings and everything else you've customised. Importantly, it will also copy your old licence key, which is associated with your old flash drive but will be exchanged for a new licence key that matches your new flash drive. The licence key replacement is a one-way process and your old flash drive will be blacklisted as a result.

• Like 1

IF you can read the contents of the   config   folder/directory on the original flash drive, just overwrite the contents of that folder/directory on the replacement flash drive.   Then reboot using the replacement drive.  I understand that it will walk you through the steps to getting a replacement .key file.  

If you can't read the original flash drive.  The best course of action is to assign all of the drives as data drives.  There should be one (only only one!) that is unformatted.  Assign that as the parity drive.  Start the array and allow parity to rebuild.  (If you have more than one unformatted drive,  STOP and ask for help!!!!)  (If you had a cache drive, hopefully, it will be apparent which one is the parity drive.  Most folks use an ssd or a small HD as their cache drive.) 

BTW, I don't know if I would really use that Microcenter USB drive as my boot drive.   I would bet it was one of their promotion's...  Do your self a favor and get one made by a memory manufacturer.  You will then get a first quality drive.  You don't need a 32GB one.  I would be looking for about an 8GB one-- 16GB if the price is right.

EDIT:  Unraid uses the serial numbers of the drives to determine where to assign each as it boots up.

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1

Thanks Frank,  I've been using the Micro center drive just to test the USB connections, and all of the ports seem to work flawlessly with the microcenter drive where the original Lexar drive would no longer boot reliably, and im guessing it was damaged when the MB bit the dust, I have a Samsung drive(32gb) arriving tomorrow( $10 amazon, gotta love prime ) that I will do the new 'permanent' Install on.  Good to know it uses the serial numbers for drive assignment.  

I have 3x8TB data drives, 1x8TB parity, and 2x500GB cache drives(mirrored?)

Edited by Ebein

IT has been a long time since I have been in this situation but If I remember correcting when you start the array, it will say that one of the drives (and only one!!!) is unformatted.  (Do not format it!!!))) That will be your parity drive.  Stop the array, unassign that drive as a data drive and assign it as the parity drive.  When you start the array again, it will rebuilt parity.  

IF this is not what you see, post back with what you see (screen capture of the Main tab would be helpful) and wait for further advice.  The important thing to remember at this point, is that you do NOT want to format any drive!!!  You could lose data if you do!