[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

17 hours ago, binhex said:

GCM is def supported for vpn provider pia, im using it myself, what was the error you received?.

I used the PIA ovpn generator and chose this configuration. It's working well now (still lots of ups and downs):

TCP/501 
RSA-4096 
AES-256-GCM 

[mention=11148]binhex[/mention] The issue for me seems to be if I use my custom bridge it only listens on IPV6 and not IPV4. If I use normal bridged mode it listens on both.  Only seem s to happen with this 1 application.  Your deluge container works fine on my setup as do all other containers. Its just Qbitorrent that seems to only want IPV6 if I use my custom bridge network.
firstly I'm glad that you've got something that works for you but I have to add that a custom bridge for me works just fine with no issues whatsoever so there is something that is particular to your setup is causing a problem with with this application. I'm out of ideas as to what to suggest so I think we should just close it for now as you do have something working.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

firstly I'm glad that you've got something that works for you but I have to add that a custom bridge for me works just fine with no issues whatsoever so there is something that is particular to your setup is causing a problem with with this application. I'm out of ideas as to what to suggest so I think we should just close it for now as you do have something working.

Hi I do not have working solution. If I set it to normal bridge mode then none of my other containers like radarr or sonarr can connect to it as they are all on custom bridge. I do not want to redo all then on bridge mode.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, nekromantik said:

Hi I do not have working solution. If I set it to normal bridge mode then none of my other containers like radarr or sonarr can connect to it as they are all on custom bridge. I do not want to redo all then on bridge mode.

you could try and create another custom bridge, get qbittorrentvpn to use it, if all good then move the other containers over to this new custom bridge, then finally delete the old custom bridge, other than that im currently out of ideas, there is something funky with your setup but there are far too many variables (router, vlan, firewalls, isp, the list goes on) for me to try and debug your current issue any further, sorry dude.

you could try and create another custom bridge, get qbittorrentvpn to use it, if all good then move the other containers over to this new custom bridge, then finally delete the old custom bridge, other than that im currently out of ideas, there is something funky with your setup but there are far too many variables (router, vlan, firewalls, isp, the list goes on) for me to try and debug your current issue any further, sorry dude.
Yeah that's my final option. Thanks

29 minutes ago, Rendeaust said:

Is there a way to run binhex qbitorrent and rtorrent at the same time?

yep, nothing stopping you, just make sure privoxy port is either removed for one of the containers, or changed so they dont conflict (port 8118).

22 minutes ago, binhex said:

yep, nothing stopping you, just make sure privoxy port is either removed for one of the containers, or changed so they dont conflict (port 8118).

Thanks. Didn't knew this was causing the conflict. I have both privoxy ports turned off (set to 'no'/defaults) but I've set the other port to 8119. Will that cause anything bad? Sorry, a bit new to this NAS and docker thing... Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Rendeaust said:

but I've set the other port to 8119. Will that cause anything bad?

nothing bad whatsoever changing ports on the host side is 100% safe, if you do ever enable privoxy then just remember that you have changed the port from the default and will have to use that port number to connect to the proxy.

• Upvote 1

Moved from your r/ruTorrent container to this one because r/ruTorrent is really laggy when handling a lot of torrents, especially deleting them (can take like 30 minutes to delete 200 torrents off the HDD via the ruTorrent WebUI) and also I don't need irssi support any more.

So using this is amazing. It's almost flawless. Setup was so ridiculously easy. I'd suggest that the container creates the ovpn folder though even if the setting is set to VPN_ENABLED = no. Because when I went to add my .ovpn config file I couldn't find the folder until I switched it on and made the docker fail to load because the .ovpn config file could not be found (folder didn't exist until I did that so I had no idea where to put it). I'd just have the 'ovpn' folder created when the docker is created, regardless of whether or not the user wants to use the VPN function.

My problem however is very fluctuating download speeds, which I did not get using r/ruTorrent. My speeds with r/ruTorrent were very, very stable at about 18 out of 20MB/s download whilst on VPN. With qBittorrent it seems like the speed wants to get there but then it always gets cut in half. Sometimes hanging down as low as only 3MB/s. When swapping back to r/ruTorrent (still got it installed). It goes straight back up to 19MB/s. No fluctuating.

Here's a quick and short video showing exactly what's happening: 

Any idea what could be wrong with with qBittorrent? I'm downloading 55 torrents at once (only 12.3GB combined size) and my average CPU load is less than 10%. Got 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD for cache. Please let me know if you need/want any more information.

Moved from your r/ruTorrent container to this one because r/ruTorrent is really laggy when handling a lot of torrents, especially deleting them (can take like 30 minutes to delete 200 torrents off the HDD via the ruTorrent WebUI) and also I don't need irssi support any more.

So using this is amazing. It's almost flawless. Setup was so ridiculously easy. I'd suggest that the container creates the ovpn folder though even if the setting is set to VPN_ENABLED = no. Because when I went to add my .ovpn config file I couldn't find the folder until I switched it on and made the docker fail to load because the .ovpn config file could not be found (folder didn't exist until I did that so I had no idea where to put it). I'd just have the 'ovpn' folder created when the docker is created, regardless of whether or not the user wants to use the VPN function.

My problem however is very fluctuating download speeds, which I did not get using r/ruTorrent. My speeds with r/ruTorrent were very, very stable at about 18 out of 20MB/s download whilst on VPN. With qBittorrent it seems like the speed wants to get there but then it always gets cut in half. Sometimes hanging down as low as only 3MB/s. When swapping back to r/ruTorrent (still got it installed). It goes straight back up to 19MB/s. No fluctuating.

Here's a quick and short video showing exactly what's happening: 

Any idea what could be wrong with with qBittorrent? I'm downloading 55 torrents at once (only 12.3GB combined size) and my average CPU load is less than 10%. Got 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD for cache. Please let me know if you need/want any more information.
I too had fluctuating downloads when using qtorrent I never managed to get to the bottom of it one thing to note is that the limiter is currently broken on qtorrent see you may find your upload rates are sky-high which of course can limit dl rate.

I was looking around and on the Github page people spent months trying to get to the bottom of it. In the end, people came to the conclusion that it's actually libtorrent that causes the fluctuations: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7954

Are you saying you don't have the problem any more? I really would like to use qBittorrent because it's still updated regularly. Deluge and Transmission haven't been touched for a long time. qBittorrent is so easy to set up and use but I might have to go to Deluge though... because I cannot get a stable speed at all...

Edited by plantsandbinary
1 hour ago, plantsandbinary said:
I was looking around and on the Github page people spent months trying to get to the bottom of it. In the end, people came to the conclusion that it's actually libtorrent that causes the fluctuations.  

Are you saying you don't have the problem any more? I really would like to use qBittorrent because it's still updated regularly. Deluge and Transmission haven't been touched for a long time. I might have to go to Deluge though...

I gave up with qbittorrent and went back to rtorrent speeds are much better for me and the limiter works both of which are issues with qbittorrent. as far as updates go for deluge there is a big bump coming soon up to version 2 so development has definitely not stopped as far as deluge is concerned

Edited by binhex

Good day all. Im Dan, hi. and im new to this. My pea brain is having a tough time. So far i got a computer and have got unraid to run. Well Spaceinvader one did I just did what he said. My only plan at this point with the computer is to #1 download torrents with nord VPN. #2 have a plex server. #3 be able to access the computer remotely from work to download torrents(yay torrentday i love you.). Im stuck on #1. im running binhex-qbittorrentvpn. I was wondering if anyone could help. 

I dont know how to upload pics here. I added attachments.

I added my nord vpn files in krusader.

I can load up qbittorrent

My download speed with shaw is 300+ MBPS

A torrent will stall in Qbittorrent and will start to download at a couple bytes then stall out.

QbitEdit1.PNG

QbitEdit2.PNG

qbit connection.PNG

AsusSetting.PNG

Thnx for your hard work! Got this working pretty nicely and was able to replace my previous Win10 based qBittorrent + Viscosity setup without any problems. Definitely container worthy of a donation ;) I made a small write-up for all the things I did from start to finish. It's not a guide but might help others with less experience with unRAID/Docker/qBittorrent/OpenVPN. I preferred to store downloads under data instead of the default config folder.

Installation steps

1. Start installation through Community Apps
  2. Modify docker configuration
    • Data-path -> /mnt/cache/apps/qbvpn/data
    • Config-path -> /mnt/cache/apps/qbvpn/config (hidden option)
    • VPN username/password
    • LAN-network -> 192.168.88.0/24
    • PUID -> 0 (root)
    • PGID -> 0 (root)
  3. Apply -> starts downloading docker and creates folders/files in above mentioned locations
  4. Copy OpenVPN configuration file and certification to /config/openvpn (/mnt/cache/apps/qbvpn/config/openvpn)
    • crl.rsa.2048.pem
    • ca.rsa.2048.crt
    • xxxxxx.ovpn
  5. Access qBittorrent webUI through \\tower:8080
    • Username: admin
    • Password: adminadmin
  6. Modify qBittorrent settings
    • "Default save path": /data/finished
    • "Keep incomplete torrents in: /data/download
    • Speed: set rate limits to your liking (full speed at night, lower day time in my case)
    • Bittorrent: to your liking. Torrent queuing, slow torrents and seed ratio
  7. Test by adding a torrent download
  8. All set, enjoy torrenting with VPN

Notes:

1. An error is logged related to iptable_mangle. This only affects access to webUI outside LAN so if you do not need it, you can ignore the error. See Q2 for more details: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?tab=comments#comment-433613
  2. There is another similar error logged related to /lib/modules/tun.ko. This might be related to iptable_mangle issue but I could not find definitive answer in the forums. Everything seems to work properly. Best hit so far: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44109-support-binhex-delugevpn/?do=findComment&comment=545471
  • Like 3

A re-install managed to fix the weird problems I was having with the speeds. I got fed up with Deluge lacking so many basic features. This now works perfectly.

Though I will leave a link to the post on GIthub that motivated me to try again, although I cannot say to others if this method will fix the problem for them, that I had.

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7954#issuecomment-473487206

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 9:44 PM, Dolce said:

I'm trying to access qbittorrent via sonarr and I've tried multiple attempts at remotely connecting. Is there a setting that must be enabled via qBittorrent for this to work? I am able to remotely log in via the web GUI but no luck with sonarr. Does anyone else have this working?

Thanks.

I have the exact same problem. VPN is connected. I can use the web UI. I can download stuff, etc.

However, all my attempts to connect sonarr to qbittorrent have failed.

My qbittorrentvpn docker uses a custom bridge with a fixed IP 192.168.0.xxx

I use the following in sonarr:
Host: 192.168.0.xxx
Port: 8080
+ my qbittorrentvpn credentials.

Can someone help me figure this out?

Update: Checking the sonarr logs, I see this:
The operation has timed out: 'http://192.168.0.xxx:8080/api/v2/app/webapiVersion'
Note: Copying and pasting the url into a browser works just fine.

Edited by Jenardo
I have the exact same problem. VPN is connected. I can use the web UI. I can download stuff, etc.
However, all my attempts to connect sonarr to qbittorrent have failed.
My qbittorrentvpn docker uses a custom bridge with a fixed IP 192.168.0.xxx
I use the following in sonarr:
Host: 192.168.0.xxx
Port: 8080
+ my qbittorrentvpn credentials.
Can someone help me figure this out?

Update: Checking the sonarr logs, I see this:
The operation has timed out: 'http://192.168.0.xxx:8080/api/v2/app/webapiVersion'
Note: Copying and pasting the url into a browser works just fine.
I would suspect that you don't have lan_network defined correctly, what do you currently have it set to?

On 4/5/2019 at 2:31 AM, binhex said:

I would suspect that you don't have lan_network defined correctly, what do you currently have it set to?

That's the first thing I double checked after reading this thread.

It is set to 192.168.0.0/24

Update: I gave delugevpn a shot. I am getting the same exact timeout behavior.

2nd Update: If I configure the container with VPN_ENABLED set to 'no', sonarr can connect normally to qbittorrent.

3rd update: To eliminate port forwarding being the issue, I tested with VPN_ENABLED set to 'yes' and STRICT_PORT_FORWARD set to 'no'. Still sonarr cannot connect to qbittorrent.

I can't figure out what's wrong. Did anyone get this working using fixed IPs for the two containers?

Edited by Jenardo
Testing with deluge, vpn disabled, no port forwarding

I have attempted to narrow this down even further.

My laptop is on the same subnet as both containers (192.168.0.0/24).

From my laptop, I can open the UI and login. And for debugging purposes, I used a curl post request to login through my laptop and that works too.

Through sonarr's console, I can ping the qbittorrentvpn container. However, the curl login request just times out.

Does that mean that the qbittorrentvpn is just rejecting the requests from the sonarr container? Why would that happen when it accepts them from my laptop?

Edited by Jenardo
On 4/7/2019 at 12:35 AM, Jenardo said:

I have attempted to narrow this down even further.

My laptop is on the same subnet as both containers (192.168.0.0/24).

From my laptop, I can open the UI and login. And for debugging purposes, I used a curl post request to login through my laptop and that works too.

Through sonarr's console, I can ping the qbittorrentvpn container. However, the curl login request just times out.

Does that mean that the qbittorrentvpn is just rejecting the requests from the sonarr container? Why would that happen when it accepts them from my laptop?

@binhex Do you have any idea what might be going on here? I have the same problem with delugevpn.

21 hours ago, Jenardo said:

@binhex Do you have any idea what might be going on here? I have the same problem with delugevpn.

i got around to testing this, created a custom bridge and then attached sonarr and qbittorrentvpn to it, i then plugged in the details in sonarr and could successfully connect to qbittorrent so im confident the issue is mis-configuration. please post screenshot of your sonarr config.