[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

I did do this and worked initially then same thing. Eventually gave up and disabled using torrents all together and removed container.

Will have a look again later and see if I can get it working

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Finally got around to reinstalling this again today but not getting more than 8MB/s down... Was getting 0MB/s first and getting stuck in Stalled state but that was quickly fixed by correcting my mappings.

I had mapped to /mnt/user/Downloads/data/incomplete

When it should have been just /data/incomplete/

I will check PIA to see if there's another set of ovpn files I can use as I downloaded TCP strict set.

Hopefully I can get faster download using VPN anything around 20MiB/s will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

In WebGUI->Settings-Downloads, I cannot save changes for "Automatically add torrents from"

I wanted to add the folder to watch , click "plus" icon, the folder is added. When I click SAVE button at the button, then return to settings, none of the changes were saved.

How do I solve this issue?

Edited by emod
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there some sort of tutorial or guide for what the different options do in the Web GUI?  

This qBittorrent version Options is quite a bit different than the client I have running on my PC.  

Ultimately what I want to do is this, if possible:

- place the torrents still downloading in the incomplete folder

- when done, move them to the completed folder

- rename them if possible as well

- when the download is complete, dont seed

-take off the bandwidth limitation for my downloads

Any help would be great.  

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning All - 

Very new to unRaid and in the use of dockers.

I have my array operational and I've installed the binhex-qbittorrentvpn docker without an issue and can download torrents without a problem. (although I do have the VPN portion disabled for testing).

I'm very familiar with using a bittorrent client on a windows platform, but the usage is very different in this environment.  

I am used to selecting a magnet link which populates into my client and then I can choose which folder I want each torrent to be downloaded each time, or I can even create a new folder location on the fly.  I normally do not rename items and I want to seed immediately.  In addition, I download directly into my Plex library folders because I want them to show up immediately in Plex as well as maintain seeding.

So that's what I'm used to.

When using the binhex-qbittorrentvpn docker, it appears the download location is set through the initial setup and there is no way to adjust the file location "on the fly" based upon what torrent you may be downloading.

I hope I explained myself well enough.  Am I missing something obvious within the docker usage? 

As an example, I've included a screen capture of the dialog box I would normally get for each torrent added to my client (via URL or magnet).

Capture.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

SYNOPSIS: Web GUI won't load when VPN enabled

I've read through this entire thread, and some have had a similar problem, but not exactly.

I have installed this container with all the defaults and put the certs and ovpn file in the openvpn folder. I know my PIA account is working since I can log into the web site and also connect via the Windows client.

There are no other containers using any of the ports that qbittorrentvpn is using.

When I have the VPN enabled in the container, the container will start, but the web GUI refuses to connect.  If I disable the VPN, Web GUI works fine. Uninstalled and reinstalled and even removed the folder from appdata to be sure there were no leftovers. When I uninstalled, I deleted the image.  NOTE: I still have binhex-deluge installed, but it doesn't share any ports.  I am transitioning to a VPN downloader which is why i chose the qbittorrent one so that I could use my non-VPN deluge client concurrently until its downloads complete.

What information can I provide to help troubleshoot this?

New to unraid. New to a server, but I think I've got it running. Running into a docker issue with Sonarr and Qbitorrent. Seems to be a volume mapping issue, but I can't figure out where the setting is.

Docker settings

633130159_volumemappings.thumb.PNG.3c8399ce9e5e96bb28c542d162b6b253.PNG

I had the above set. But then both qbitorrent and sonarr are looking for the file to be in the config folder?!

1015412270_movingtoo.PNG.fbe7b8a3448e4919eb606263e5cea4e9.PNG

1968834403_failuresonarr.PNG.7689d192f90639f3be7fab0c8a3430b4.PNG

(qbitorrent file 'location' and sonarr error message above)

maybe permissions?

Also my qbitorrent causes all my CPUS to pin at 100% now and freeze my server until I stop the qbitorrent docker. Related?

1 hour ago, channing said:

New to unraid. New to a server, but I think I've got it running. Running into a docker issue with Sonarr and Qbitorrent. Seems to be a volume mapping issue, but I can't figure out where the setting is.

Docker settings

633130159_volumemappings.thumb.PNG.3c8399ce9e5e96bb28c542d162b6b253.PNG

I had the above set. But then both qbitorrent and sonarr are looking for the file to be in the config folder?!

1015412270_movingtoo.PNG.fbe7b8a3448e4919eb606263e5cea4e9.PNG

1968834403_failuresonarr.PNG.7689d192f90639f3be7fab0c8a3430b4.PNG

(qbitorrent file 'location' and sonarr error message above)

maybe permissions?

Also my qbitorrent causes all my CPUS to pin at 100% now and freeze my server until I stop the qbitorrent docker. Related?

Why do you have it configured to save to /config? I don't use these but surely you should configure the applications to save to /data

37 minutes ago, channing said:

I don't intentionally have it configured to save to /config. But I've modified my save path to /data/completed (and it lives in /data/incomplete while downloading)

I guess I don't understand how sonarr manages the file locations (while downloading/seeding and then moving to the TV media folder)

There are some great tutorials on YouTube by SpaceInvader1, that will help you understand in general hoiw to set up docker and UnRAID. You definitely dont want your data going in the /config folder.

Check his stuff out.  It helped me a lot when I was new to UnRAID.

18 hours ago, 2twisty said:

SYNOPSIS: Web GUI won't load when VPN enabled

I've read through this entire thread, and some have had a similar problem, but not exactly.

I have installed this container with all the defaults and put the certs and ovpn file in the openvpn folder. I know my PIA account is working since I can log into the web site and also connect via the Windows client.

There are no other containers using any of the ports that qbittorrentvpn is using.

When I have the VPN enabled in the container, the container will start, but the web GUI refuses to connect.  If I disable the VPN, Web GUI works fine. Uninstalled and reinstalled and even removed the folder from appdata to be sure there were no leftovers. When I uninstalled, I deleted the image.  NOTE: I still have binhex-deluge installed, but it doesn't share any ports.  I am transitioning to a VPN downloader which is why i chose the qbittorrent one so that I could use my non-VPN deluge client concurrently until its downloads complete.

What information can I provide to help troubleshoot this?

Anybody have any suggestions for me on this? I REALLY need to get the VPN going since I am on Spectrum and don't want to get any nastygrams.

On 9/11/2019 at 12:32 PM, 2twisty said:

Anybody have any suggestions for me on this? I REALLY need to get the VPN going since I am on Spectrum and don't want to get any nastygrams.

I thought I was going crazy but I have the exact same issue - I've even removed deluge, and triple checked the ports, restarted the server, docker, etc.

The problem is I can't even start the qbit container unless I map port 8080 > 8081, not that there were any conflicts but it's still an issue.

I'm assuming you're using either ubiquity tech, or Sab or some other business like I am. 

EDIT:  Okay, so apparently in the Unifi Controller -  remapped port 8080 to something else but it's still holding that port as its own...  I'm not an adept user so far but apparently even if a container is translating the port it won't work.

EDIT 2:  Well, the unifi controller has ports ref'd in it's actual appdata configs which was/is the problem.  For whatever reason when I remap qbit ports they don't accept anything but 8080 for webui authentication - which could be anything but maybe I could guess it has to do with the openvpn configs?

EDIT 3:  My friend and I figured out that you need to enable advanced view (because you can't edit HOST PORT 3 otherwise), then delete 'HOST PORT 3' (the hardcoded 8080), and create a new var called 'HOST PORT 3' with your new port, as type 'port'.

Edited by mighthire
On 9/11/2019 at 12:43 PM, binhex said:

lets get some logs going, please follow the procedure shown in the following link:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

ok. Here's supervisord.log. I looked through it and it looks like this may be something to do with it, since goes through all 12 retries several times in the log and never has success.  I'll try grabbing a log with the VPN turned off to see if there is an obvious change in the logs, but I admit that log chasing isn't my strongest suit.

2019-09-15 12:50:47,822 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Response code 000 from curl != 2xx
[warn] Exit code 7 from curl != 0
[info] 12 retries left
[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

supervisord.log

IIIIIIInteresstingggg..

I noticed in the log that it complained that the VPN endpoint I had chosen did not support port forwarding.  It still connected but just issued a warning about download speeds.

So, I tried changing it to one of the ones listed in the log that DO support it, and POOF.  Container starts with VPN and WebGUI comes up.

So, I guess using an endpoint that supports port forwarding needs to be listed as a requirement rather than just a warning?

NOTE: Previously I had tried other end points with the same failure result, but none of them were on the list of port forwarding endpoints either.

24 minutes ago, 2twisty said:

So, I guess using an endpoint that supports port forwarding needs to be listed as a requirement rather than just a warning?

yes and no :-), yes it should be a requirement (or error if you like) IF the endpoint you are connecting to doesnt support port forwarding AND you have set strict_port_forward to yes. however there are conditions where you may connect to an endpoint that DOES support port forwarding but its NOT in the list of endpoints, this can happen when connecting to a specific vpn server i.e. an IP address, and in this case it IS a warning, as it will connect and work just fine even though its NOT in the list of endpoints that support port forwarding, you get me?.

Edited by binhex

Been using Unraid and the binhex-qbittorrentvpn build for a few months now and last weekend I decided to set up vlan network for dockers, upgrade my containers to macvlan drivers & set up a reverse proxy with a local domain. After a pretty steep learning curve this is the only container I'm still struggling with so any advice would be appreciated.

I can access the qbittorrent webui fine from the unraid host but not through the proxy (gateway timeout). I also cant access the qbittorrent container from other containers (radarr/sonarr) in the same docker network. I can for example ping qbittorrent from the radarr container but all other traffic times out.

ip_mangle is enabled LAN_NETWORK is set to 192.168.0.0/16 encompassing all LANs and VLANs. Turning off VPN everything works as expected.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something stupid or if I need to make a specific config change due to the macvlan driver?

Edited by nagelm

Thanks I was coming to that conclusion but now that I've experienced your awesome supervisor scripts I can't live without binhex goodness.

Do any of your vpn torrent containers support macvlan? Alternatively, if i was to fork and do my own tweaking do you think it would be a few minor IP tables changes or do you think it's a fools errand given the qbt process seems to listen on all interfaces (I'd want to expose only the webui and not the server process.)

Edited by nagelm
2 hours ago, nagelm said:

Do any of your vpn torrent containers support macvlan?

nope, i have coded them up to be the same as closely as possible.

2 hours ago, nagelm said:

Alternatively, if i was to fork and do my own tweaking do you think it would be a few minor IP tables changes or do you think it's a fools errand given the qbt process seems to listen on all interfaces (I'd want to expose only the webui and not the server process.)

feel free to fork, but you are going to have to get down and dirty with iptables, im afraid i wont be able to help.

If anyone is having troubles getting this working, here is what I did to set it all up using OpenVPN

From the CA app, click the install button, it will bring up the settings we need to tweak to get this to work

Step 1: Port Setup

-> Remove :

Host Port 3:

Container Port: 8080

-> Set :

Key 8: <to a free port number you wish to run this container on>

Container Variable: WEBUI_PORT" 

-> Click : "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device"

Set it up as follows

Config Type: Port

Name: Host Port 3 (or leave blank)
Host Port: <same as key 8 port>
Connection type : TCP
Description: Container Port: <same as key 8 port>

->Edit : WebUI

http://[IP]:[PORT:8080]/

(if you don't see this option ensure the advanced view toggle on the top right is enabled)

change the port number to <same as key 8 port>

Step 2: Download Dir

-> Edit:

Host Path 2: < location you would like to store your downloads >

Container Path: /data

Step 3a: VPN

Key 1: Yes

Container Variable: VPN_ENABLED

Key 2: <username goes here>

Container Variable: VPN_USER

Key 3:  <password goes here>

Container Variable: VPN_PASS

Key 4: Custom

Container Variable: VPN_PROV

Key 8: <set in step 1>

Container Variable: WEBUI_PORT

Key 9:  (LAN specific, common network is <192.168.1.0/24>)

Container Variable: LAN_NETWORK

Key 10: (defaults may work for you) <192.168.1.1,9.9.9.9,149.112.112.112>

Container Variable: NAME_SERVERS

* Set VPN to "no" if you do not wish to setup the VPN at this time

Click "APPLY"

The docker will now download and unpack

however if you have your VPN key 1 set to "Yes" the web interface will fail to load at this time as we do not have our certs setup yet.

Step 3b: VPN cert

Once the container has unpacked

Go to your /appdata location

the default install director is /binhex-qbittorrentvpn

inside that directory you will see another directory called

/openvpn

-> Copy your < vpn.ovpn > file here. This is provided by your VPN provider

Restart the container

Step 4: Web interface config

->Click on the container icon

WebUI

*Providing you set the webui port in step 1 correctly

L: admin

P: adminadmin

->Click

gear Icon (options)

Down Load Tab

Ensure the following is set as follows:

Default Save Path:  /data/

your downloads will be saved to the location set in step 2

I also like to set the following:

<checked> Keep incomplete torrents in: /data/incomplete/

<checked> Copy .torrent files to: /data/incomplete/torrent

<checked> Copy .torrent files for finished downloads to: /data/incomplete/torrent/done

<checked> Create sub-folder for torrents with multiple files

<checked> Delete .torrent files afterwards

<checked> Append .!qB extension to incomplete files

Automatically add torrents from:

Monitored Folder  |  Override Save Location

/data/incomplete/torrent/monitor/ | Default Save Location

Connection Tab

Port used for incoming connections: < as per your firewall/router settings >

Web UI

Authentication

Username: <web UI username>

Password: <web UI pass>

<checked> Bypass authentication for clients on localhost

<checked> Bypass authentication for clients in whitelisted IP subnets : <same as key9 durring setup>

*only do this step if you don't want to worry about passwords for LAN (local) users

-> Click Save

Your Done!

Now test everything out. If all goes well you will have a working VPN'd Torrent Client

Linux Mint downloaded at my full network speed.

Hopefully this helps anyone looking to set this up

Edited by JaY_III
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm running a Synology server with the qbittorrentvpn docker container.  For a few months the container was working great; recently i'm unable to access the Web UI and I'm noticing connectivity issues for connecting to PIA VPN.

See attached for my supervisord.log

I've tried a few different country VPN profiles provided from PIA.  I have also noticed the Web UI works if I disable the VPN env variable.   Any advice on how to further debug?   

Thank you!

supervisord.log

Edited by newojowen
added details for what I've tried to debug