[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

Hello,

I have an instance of binhex-rutorrentvpn that has over 600 torrents. I just realized today that the rutorrent docker was discontinued. 

How can I convert from rutorrent to qbittorrent without risk of data loss? We're talking terabytes of data. 

And how do I get the torrent files themselves out of rtorrent? Most of my Torrent files are in there. 

Edited by urbanracer34

Hi, I'm having 2 issues with my setup. I'm on Windows 11, running this with Docker-Desktop. I'm starting the docker image from Ubuntu WSL. Launching using the following config:

docker run -d \
    --memory=100MB \
    --cpus="0.1" \
    --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
    -p 6881:6881 \
    -p 6881:6881/udp \
    -p 8080:8080 \
    -p 8118:8118 \
    --name=qbittorrentvpn \
    -v /mnt/e:/data \
    -v /mnt/e/qBittorrentDocker:/config \
    -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
    -e VPN_ENABLED=yes \
    -e VPN_PROV=custom \
    -e VPN_CLIENT=openvpn \
    -e STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=no \
    -e ENABLE_PRIVOXY=no \
    -e DEBUG=false \
    -e WEBUI_PORT=8080 \
    -e UMASK=000 \
    -e UID=1000 \
    -e PID=1000 \
    binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn

UID 1000 is my Ubuntu WSL user

Problem 1: sed: preserving permissions for ‘/config/qBittorrent/config/sedzRuF7u’: Operation not permitted

The config folder is located is located in an external drive connected to my PC, and using -v /mnt/e/config:config

All of the files within /config/qBittorrent/config/ folder have rwxrwxrwx permissions with group and owner being 1000

I have also granted Full Access permissions for the folder for Users user from Windows side of the drive (not sure how what kind of user Windows interprets the WSL Ubuntu as)

Problem 2:

When restarting the container, all of the torrent files get re-checked, which takes quite some time even for few torrents.

Download location for the torrents is in the -v /mnt/e:/data \ directory. Why is qBittorrent re-checking torrents every time the container restarts? The same behaviour doesn't happen if I was running qBittorrent on a PC and restarted it. How can I fix this?

Hello,

I just installed this containter on Unraid. The only changes I made to the default container settings are:

- Set VPN username

- Set VPN password

- Set VPN_PROV to 'custom'

- Set VPN_CLIENT to 'openvpn'

- Set LAN_NETWORK

I then downloaded the OpenVPN config from my vpn provider and placed that file in the openvpn folder.

Everything seems to be working, but I cannot access the WebUI. I could not find anything in the logs myself, but maybe someone else knows what's wrong?

I've attached the logs below.

supervisord.log

Hey all, I have an interesting situation here that I am not sure how to address. One of the Torrent sites I use requires a persistent IP address: the address you log in from should be the same as the IP address you are sharing from. At the moment, I use qbittorrent on a VM with a VPN that offers a static IP, but I want to switch this to Binhex-qbittorrentvpn. However, the VPN I use doesn't support their static IP service outside of their own software. 

There is a way to get around this, but it requires running a Python script that uses a persistent cookie to simulate the login on a regular basis. So, if the VPN IP changes, the persistent cookie looks like you have logged in from the new IP address. Is it possible to run this within the Binhex-qbittorrentvpn docker without borking the whole thing? 

UPDATE: did some more poking around and Python does seem to be installed on the docker, and I can get the script to run. 

Edited by Richard Baguley
UPDATE

Does it need to be a persistent IP, or does the web browser IP you log in from just need to match the current IP you are seeding from?  

If it's the latter, you can enable the privoxy proxy built into the container and access the site through that.  I recommend using an addon like FoxyProxy to be able to quickly switch it on and off.  

11 minutes ago, THF13 said:

Does it need to be a persistent IP, or does the web browser IP you log in from just need to match the current IP you are seeding from?  

It is the latter, so I could do it through a proxy by just logging in every now and then. However, I have noticed that the VPN exit address seems to change quite often, so I would need to do it a lot, or set up a cron job or something similar to log in over the proxy. I think the python script would be simpler if I can get it working in the docker. 

On 4/9/2023 at 8:13 PM, WalkerJ said:

Removing the "compress" line causes errors and the VPN never connects. I rolled back to 4.4.5-1-01  for now until this gets sorted out. 

this is a vpn provider related issue, the openvpn config file supplied by your provider is not compatible with the latest release of openvpn, the vpn provider needs to sort this out i would encourage you to reach out to them and report what you are seeing.

15 minutes ago, methanoid said:

Anybody have a clue - give me some pointers, please?

first issue is to remove the now defunct pia name servers, they start with 209.x.x.x, defined via NAME_SERVERS, from your log:-

nameserver 209.222.18.222
nameserver 84.200.69.80
nameserver 37.235.1.174
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 209.222.18.218
nameserver 37.235.1.177
nameserver 84.200.70.40
nameserver 1.0.0.1

i see you also have issues loading iptable_mangle module, which means external access to the web ui may not work, try accessing the web ui from inside of your lan, from your log:-

insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko: No such file or directory

On 4/11/2023 at 4:10 AM, binhex said:

as far as i know the issue remains with libtorrent v2

I see that the default qBittorrent releases are back to using libtorrent v1.2, with alternative releases with libtorrent v2.  Wouldn't it enhance stability to use the default releases for the unraid image instead?

*edit*. The reason I comment is because I have had my version pinned at 4.3.9 since issues with libtorrent v2 cropped up.

Edited by veri745
typo
On 4/9/2023 at 5:40 PM, oko2708 said:

Hello,

I just installed this containter on Unraid. The only changes I made to the default container settings are:

- Set VPN username

- Set VPN password

- Set VPN_PROV to 'custom'

- Set VPN_CLIENT to 'openvpn'

- Set LAN_NETWORK

I then downloaded the OpenVPN config from my vpn provider and placed that file in the openvpn folder.

Everything seems to be working, but I cannot access the WebUI. I could not find anything in the logs myself, but maybe someone else knows what's wrong?

I've attached the logs below.

supervisord.log 7.87 kB · 2 downloads

@binhex

Any idea what could cause this? At first I thought the log was normal, but after comparing it with some other logs in this thread it seems my log just stops without reporting any errors.

2 hours ago, oko2708 said:

@binhex

Any idea what could cause this? At first I thought the log was normal, but after comparing it with some other logs in this thread it seems my log just stops without reporting any errors.

Yeah, my log continues on: 

2022-04-19 21:06:24 TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
2022-04-19 21:06:24 net_iface_mtu_set: mtu 1500 for tun0
2022-04-19 21:06:24 net_iface_up: set tun0 up

2022-04-19 21:06:24 net_addr_v4_add: www.xxx.yyy.zzz/24 dev tun0
2022-04-19 21:06:24 /root/openvpnup.sh tun0 1500 1553 www.xxx.yyy.zzz 255.255.255.0 init

2022-04-19 21:06:24 Initialization Sequence Completed

[info] Attempting to get external IP using 'http://checkip.amazonaws.com'...

[info] Successfully retrieved external IP address www.xxx.yyy.zzz

[info] Script started to assign incoming port

[info] Port forwarding is enabled
[info] Checking endpoint 'xxx.xxx.xxx' is port forward enabled...
[info] Successfully assigned and bound incoming port '24061'

[info] qBittorrent incoming port 6881 and VPN incoming port 24061 different, marking for reconfigure

[info] Attempting to start qBittorrent...

[info] qBittorrent process started

Are you sure all necessary ports are mapped properly from your router -> server -> container?

On 4/11/2023 at 10:45 AM, binhex said:

first issue is to remove the now defunct pia name servers, they start with 209.x.x.x, defined via NAME_SERVERS, from your log:-

nameserver 209.222.18.222
nameserver 84.200.69.80
nameserver 37.235.1.174
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 209.222.18.218
nameserver 37.235.1.177
nameserver 84.200.70.40
nameserver 1.0.0.1

i see you also have issues loading iptable_mangle module, which means external access to the web ui may not work, try accessing the web ui from inside of your lan, from your log:-

insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko: No such file or directory

Thanks for taking time to respond, I do appreciate it. ALL GOOD NOW, I suspect also updating docker engine (to fix an issue with LS.io Sonarr docker) also helped

The iptable_mangle.ko is missing disappeared when I changed to "Latest"

Nameservers came from the YML file that originally set up the docker even though I never used PIA. 

Edited by methanoid
updated
29 minutes ago, methanoid said:

Nameservers came from the YML file that originally set up the docker even though I never used PIA. 

yrp i originally setup the template with PIA name servers (you dont need to be a PIA customer to use them) but sadly they have become unstable thus the removal from the template, sadly that change to the template does not get pushed to existing users templates so you were stuck with the defunct name servers, glad its all sorted now 🙂

• Like 1
On 4/13/2023 at 9:46 PM, veri745 said:

Are you sure all necessary ports are mapped properly from your router -> server -> container?

I'm having some problems with restoring the container. I copied back to appdata a fairly recent backup that was working fine, but now no torrents are running and I think the connection icon at the bottom shows no connection. (Symbol is an underlined orange flame?)

What are the necessary ports that need to be mapped from router to server to container? I'm using PIA with STRICT_PORT_FORWARD set to yes. I thought that no ports needed to be forwarded from router to server in this situation? The VPN incoming port number in the log matches the Listening Port in the Web-GUI.

Add: I'm on version 4.3.9-2-01

supervisord(edited).log

Edited by sonofdbn
Version number added

Is there a way to get my PIA credentials out of plaintext VPN_PASSWORD and VPN_USERNAME fields in the docker template and into the credentials.conf file directly?

It works if I change my template from "PIA" to "custom", but I'm not what I'm losing in that case.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:47 PM, veri745 said:

I see that the default qBittorrent releases are back to using libtorrent v1.2, with alternative releases with libtorrent v2.  Wouldn't it enhance stability to use the default releases for the unraid image instead?

*edit*. The reason I comment is because I have had my version pinned at 4.3.9 since issues with libtorrent v2 cropped up.

hi, i have been patiently waiting for a fix to libtorrent v2 to drop, sadly its taking longer than expected!, in the meantime i decided to build a new image with libtorrent-rasterbar v1, if you want to give the image a go then append tag name 'libtorrentv1' to the repository name, see Q5 if you are unsure how to do this:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/unraid.md

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, sonofdbn said:

Yes, that's what I meant to convey. Since I'm on PIA and using STRICT_PORT_FORWARD, I shouldn't need to do any port forwarding on my router (and I haven't). So I'm struggling with what else I need to do to fix my setup.

i dont see anything wrong in your latest log file, restart the container and watch the log, once you get an assigned incoming port (will be shown in the log) then check qbittorrent web ui (once started) and ensure the incoming port is set to what is shown in the log file.

5 minutes ago, binhex said:

i dont see anything wrong in your latest log file, restart the container and watch the log, once you get an assigned incoming port (will be shown in the log) then check qbittorrent web ui (once started) and ensure the incoming port is set to what is shown in the log file.

I've done that a few times and the ports have always matched. Thanks for checking the log file.

But there's some other weirdness going on that I've just noticed. Getting late here, will post later.