[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

greatly appreciate you taking this on.. the current containers out there are lacking. I had some issues with getting this container up but I do see it's a new build so some adjustments are likely needed.

Here's some of the things I encountered.

1. vpn wouldn't connect intially because it couldn't load iptable_mangle

was able to work around this by adding --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --device=/dev/net/tun (running proxvox which is Debian 9.6 underneath)

2. couldn't get Privoxy to start, getting permission denied errors. default permissions on this folder is d----w--w- 2 nobody users     2 Nov 14 15:37 privoxy

under default deployment nothing is getting copied to /config/privoxy/ because of permission issues.. if I modify the permissions manually I can see that files are copied to that folder. Still doesn't autostart but I am able to start it manually based on the command line from your script.

3. getting errors reading files created by script, for example /home/nobody/getvpnextip.sh: line 9: /home/nobody/vpn_external_ip.txt: Permission denied. These files have the same permission as privoxy. qbittororrent doesn't auto start for me yet, but I am able to kick it off manually.

4. Once into qbittorrent I can see that in the settings the download folder is not populated with /data which is the default location you provided for the download folder.

Just a few things I have noticed so far.. more than willing to be a guinea pig to work things out.

6 hours ago, jleiss said:

greatly appreciate you taking this on.. the current containers out there are lacking. I had some issues with getting this container up but I do see it's a new build so some adjustments are likely needed.

Here's some of the things I encountered.

was able to work around this by adding --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --device=/dev/net/tun (running proxvox which is Debian 9.6 underneath)

2. couldn't get Privoxy to start, getting permission denied errors. default permissions on this folder is d----w--w- 2 nobody users     2 Nov 14 15:37 privoxy

under default deployment nothing is getting copied to /config/privoxy/ because of permission issues.. if I modify the permissions manually I can see that files are copied to that folder. Still doesn't autostart but I am able to start it manually based on the command line from your script.

3. getting errors reading files created by script, for example /home/nobody/getvpnextip.sh: line 9: /home/nobody/vpn_external_ip.txt: Permission denied. These files have the same permission as privoxy. qbittororrent doesn't auto start for me yet, but I am able to kick it off manually.

4. Once into qbittorrent I can see that in the settings the download folder is not populated with /data which is the default location you provided for the download folder.

Just a few things I have noticed so far.. more than willing to be a guinea pig to work things out.

I don't think I'm experiencing these issues; /data was definitely populated on my install. VPN connects fine, and Privoxy starts, but having issues connecting to it.

Are you sure you have the right docker?

9 hours ago, jleiss said:

This is already detailed in the readme:-

https://github.com/binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn

note the --privileged=true flag, this allows the vpn tunnel adapter to be created, privileged in my experience during testing of qbittorrent, was required, otherwise you could get away with using the --cap-add option (lesser permissions compared to privileged). --device should not be required, this is done for you as part of the init for the container.

9 hours ago, jleiss said:

this is purely related to incorrect permissions (PUID and PGID) and/or incorrect umask, see the linked readme above for examples and read the notes at the bottom if you dont know how to work out the PUID and PGID values, my guess based on the quote above is that you set umask to 755, which is not correct.

3 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

im pretty confident again this is related to permissions, see my previous comment above.

3 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

Although i do have /data added as a volume i have decided NOT to pre configure qbittorrent to use it, the reason being that other docker developers use different volume names (e.g. linuxserver uses /downloads) and this can cause a mismatch when using a linuxserver container thats talking to this docker container, thus its left for the user to configure, see below link for more details Q9.:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=FindComment&comment=433612

Ive spent quite a bit of time testing this image and im confident all of your issues are configuration related and/or related in some way to how proxmox runs (my testing was on ubuntu 16.04 LTS and unRAID 6.6.5).

Edited by binhex
On 11/14/2018 at 3:10 AM, DarkKnight said:

Thanks for developing this container. I'm trying to use Privoxy, but constantly getting "Proxy is not responding" messages when testing it with Chrome. 

Log Below:

hi, double check that LAN_NETWORK is defined correctly, if you are unsure how to do this then see link below Q3.:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?tab=comments#comment-433613

If this is set correctly then can you screenshot how you are configuring the proxy for chrome and post it here.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:06 PM, Gog said:

try this in your config file with

user: gog

password: goggog

WebUI\Address=*
WebUI\CSRFProtection=true
WebUI\ClickjackingProtection=true
WebUI\HTTPS\Enabled=false
WebUI\LocalHostAuth=true
WebUI\Password_ha1=@ByteArray(66457a3bb2f3598da106d0f03998d8b8)
WebUI\Port=8085
WebUI\ServerDomains=*
WebUI\UseUPnP=true
WebUI\Username=gog

Didnt work. For some reason no matter what I do, logins does not work for me

EDIT: Fixed it. Apparently I can´t login unless I use my reverse proxy. Not sure if it some setting in Qbit. 

Edited by ZataH
On 11/18/2018 at 11:28 AM, sv000008 said:

Having the same problem.

You can find the qBitorrent.conf file with the user/pass in appdata/binhex-qbittorrentvpn/qBittorrent/config

hi, double check that LAN_NETWORK is defined correctly, if you are unsure how to do this then see link below Q3.:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?tab=comments#comment-433613

If this is set correctly then can you screenshot how you are configuring the proxy for chrome and post it here.

Solved the issue. Must have missed the LAN_Network setting in the docker template. I didn't realize that is where that setting was. In your Q3 question/answer, you should use 'Docker Template' so it's painfully obvious where the setting is. 

Edited by DarkKnight

I'm temporarily going back to rTorrent.  For some reason, when qBit has more than one torrent, even with bandwith severely limited (300KB down, 50KB up) my internet connection suffers greatly.  I get a lot of packet loss(between 5 and 80% on a variety of ping destinations) and more annoying, dns resolution fails. I keep getting DNS request timeout on dnslookups until I top all the torrents.  DNS was not functional when I got back from work and qBit was limited to 1kb/1kb

I was checking the config files in the appdata directory. Privoxy's config file is like 2000 lines. I honestly had no idea where the setting you were referencing was. I don't work with this stuff every day. 
Sorry I wasn't laughing at you it's just funny how however much documentation I write it's just never enough sometimes it's tough being a dev

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Hendo said:

After updating to the latest version my webUI has become very broken, It's almost unusable at this point.

Here's what it looks like after the update: https://imgur.com/DXasS7n

Lots of text and stuff is missing, I tried refreshing it, clearing the cache, trying different browsers, and deleting cookies, even tried restarting the entire server but it's still broken.

looks like a known issue:-

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/9868

Wow.

just wanted to let you know that today I switched from your rtorrent/rutorrent container (broken for the time being) and, while I originally wanted to use someone else's, I noticed this spankingly brand-new one and decided to give it a whirl: It worked out of the box!

I don't find an option though to move the downloads path somewhere else, as your rtorrent/rutorrent container provided.

Am I missing something?

Edited by whauk

On 12/1/2018 at 2:24 PM, whauk said:

Today I switched from your rtorrent/rutorrent container (broken for the time being)

not broken as far as i know, you are running latest tagged image right?. if you want more help then please post in that support thread.

On 12/1/2018 at 2:24 PM, whauk said:

I don't find an option though to move the downloads path somewhere else,

that should be fairly easy to find, i dont have the web ui open right now but it should be in settings, keep in mind the latest release of qbittorrent has a bug where the ui doesnt render correctly for settings section, so this might be the reason?, in any case a new build has just been completed with a workaround included, so please pull down the latest and then have a look in settings section.

3 hours ago, binhex said:

that should be fairly easy to find, i dont have the web ui open right now but it should be in settings, keep in mind the latest release of qbittorrent has a bug where the ui doesnt render correctly for settings section, so this might be the reason?, in any case a new build has just been completed with a workaround included, so please pull down the latest and then have a look in settings section.

I assumed it would be Host Path 2 (Container Path: /data) which I mapped to /mnt/cache/Downloads/Bittorrent as in the rutorrent container but somehow that didn't do the trick. The directory is being created but the downloads still land in /appdata/binhex-qbittorrentvpn/qBittorrent/downloads/.

I can't find any other possible path in the settings section.

As regards the rutorrent container: Can't tell for certain, sorry about that.

I'm trying to access qbittorrent via sonarr and I've tried multiple attempts at remotely connecting. Is there a setting that must be enabled via qBittorrent for this to work? I am able to remotely log in via the web GUI but no luck with sonarr. Does anyone else have this working?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Dolce said:

I'm trying to access qbittorrent via sonarr and I've tried multiple attempts at remotely connecting. Is there a setting that must be enabled via qBittorrent for this to work? I am able to remotely log in via the web GUI but no luck with sonarr. Does anyone else have this working?

Thanks.

Was straightforward for me.  

host = 192.168.1.xxx

port=8085

usename=gog

password=mypw

On 11/19/2018 at 9:55 PM, Gog said:

I'm temporarily going back to rTorrent.  For some reason, when qBit has more than one torrent, even with bandwith severely limited (300KB down, 50KB up) my internet connection suffers greatly.  I get a lot of packet loss(between 5 and 80% on a variety of ping destinations) and more annoying, dns resolution fails. I keep getting DNS request timeout on dnslookups until I top all the torrents.  DNS was not functional when I got back from work and qBit was limited to 1kb/1kb

I've been running into this issue as well. Personally qbittorrent is my favorite client and it kills me that the one good docker with built in vpn doesn't work. I wonder if it's something with our internal networks? It's super annoying I was getting the same stuff except my lower end packet loss was much higher I was probably closer to 20-80%

Wait I actually take back this statement it was the delugevpn container that was causing me issues. Still strange that we would get the same issue on two different containers.

Edited by Chaos_Therum
11 hours ago, Chaos_Therum said:

I've been running into this issue as well. Personally qbittorrent is my favorite client and it kills me that the one good docker with built in vpn doesn't work. I wonder if it's something with our internal networks? It's super annoying I was getting the same stuff except my lower end packet loss was much higher I was probably closer to 20-80%

Wait I actually take back this statement it was the delugevpn container that was causing me issues. Still strange that we would get the same issue on two different containers.

Thanks for the info, in a way it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one.  No issues on rTorrent since I got back but I should retry qBit, it is the client I prefer so far.

5 hours ago, Gog said:

Thanks for the info, in a way it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one.  No issues on rTorrent since I got back but I should retry qBit, it is the client I prefer so far.

@Chaos_Therum this is normally due to weak consumer grade routers, generally supplied from ISP's. i have seen this first hand where the router simple cannot cope with the number of incoming connections and thus you get packet loss/disconnections/lan lockups etc when stressed (torrenting), not sure what you guys are using and obviously changing router is not a simple or cheap thing to do (i get this). so you could try reducing the number of connections, just try and reduce the load that the router has to handle and see if that stabilises things.

32 minutes ago, binhex said:

@Chaos_Therum this is normally due to weak consumer grade routers, generally supplied from ISP's. i have seen this first hand where the router simple cannot cope with the number of incoming connections and thus you get packet loss/disconnections/lan lockups etc when stressed (torrenting), not sure what you guys are using and obviously changing router is not a simple or cheap thing to do (i get this). so you could try reducing the number of connections, just try and reduce the load that the router has to handle and see if that stabilises things.

I suspected as much.  I think qBit is the only torrent client coded in C and it may allow it to be more efficient/aggressive in the way it handles connections.  My internet connection comes from my crappy Bell router then directly in a gigabit switch.  Internal traffic did not notice one bit but the internet connection was severely impaired.  The odd part is that once the packet started to drop, stopping all but one of the torrents did not help.  Reducing the bandwith of the torrents to 150KB/s down 50K up did not help.  I had to stop everything for the connection to recover.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, whauk said:

I assumed it would be Host Path 2 (Container Path: /data) which I mapped to /mnt/cache/Downloads/Bittorrent as in the rutorrent container but somehow that didn't do the trick. The directory is being created but the downloads still land in /appdata/binhex-qbittorrentvpn/qBittorrent/downloads/.

I can't find any other possible path in the settings section.

As regards the rutorrent container: Can't tell for certain, sorry about that.

yeah you need to configure both the incomplete folder (stuff currently being downloaded) and the completed folder (stuff completed), it should then move from the incomplete folder to the completed automatically (works for me), i dont have a copy of qbittorrent running right now, but it should be in settings in general tab i think.