[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

So I am having trouble with speeds in qbittorrent as well. I know the documentation says that if we aren't using PIA we have to manually set up port forwarding for the VPN provider we are using. I have Nord (I guess they don't have allow port forwarding), but the rest of the container seems to work great alongside privoxy for web traffic and other container proxies (sonarr, radarr, etc.). 

Does anyone know if top speeds will be possible with this setup and Nord, or am I outta luck on that? 

Snip20200401_2.png

Snip20200401_1.png

So I am having trouble with speeds in qbittorrent as well. I know the documentation says that if we aren't using PIA we have to manually set up port forwarding for the VPN provider we are using. I have Nord (I guess they don't have allow port forwarding), but the rest of the container seems to work great alongside privoxy for web traffic and other container proxies (sonarr, radarr, etc.). 

Does anyone know if top speeds will be possible with this setup and Nord, or am I outta luck on that? 
Snip20200401_2.png.2fc76d8b62c6a4eb15a91415962d6b80.png
Snip20200401_1.png.6d4bb6c9506d12956a7374180e545935.png
Your are out of luck, no port forward = low speeds switch to a provider that supports port forwarding

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Latest update broke automatic torrent management. Ive deleted image and config and reinstalled several times. Default torrent management mode changed to automatic on every reinstall. 3 folders for watch (monitored), incomplete (keep incomplete in), and complete (default save path).

All torrents are added without fail in manual mode and end up getting downloaded and seeded from the watch folder. As soon as I right click on the individual torrent and check the automatic management box, it immediately gets moved to the correct folder and works as it should.

seems like latest update (qbit 4.2.2) broke webUI authentication? Unable to log in with either my normal webui user/pass or the default (admin/adminadmin). I'm getting: 

WebAPI login failure. Reason: invalid credentials, attempt count: 1

and after 5 attempts --

WebAPI login failure. Reason: IP has been banned

Looked in the config files, tried removing/recreating them -- nothing is working. 

seems like latest update (qbit 4.2.2) broke webUI authentication? Unable to log in with either my normal webui user/pass or the default (admin/adminadmin). I'm getting: 

WebAPI login failure. Reason: invalid credentials, attempt count: 1

and after 5 attempts --

WebAPI login failure. Reason: IP has been banned

Looked in the config files, tried removing/recreating them -- nothing is working. It was fine as of 12 hours ago.

On 3/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, constellation said:

I've been getting issues with trackers not connecting at all (status is Not Working in the WebUI). As soon as I restart the docker container it connects fine. I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting tbh. VPN seems to be working since I'm able to see the WebUI and a restart of the docker works fine. Haven't really seen much when searching for tracker not working in this thread.

I'm getting this issue almost every day now. Really not sure what's causing it. I saw in previous pages that 3 or so other people are having the same issue. What's a good place to start figuring this out? I have to restart the container almost daily at this point. But it fixes it instantly.

5 hours ago, binhex said:

if you are using a vpn then no, dont do this, see here Q14:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

Thank you.  That's interesting reading.  I am using NordVPN and this is definitely a new issue, I am wondering if they recently disabled port forwarding...

Assuming it is possible, I should have 6881 as my container port and then whatever NordVPN assign me as my host port?

41 minutes ago, servidude said:

Thank you.  That's interesting reading.  I am using NordVPN and this is definitely a new issue, I am wondering if they recently disabled port forwarding...

Assuming it is possible, I should have 6881 as my container port and then whatever NordVPN assign me as my host port?

NordVPN doesn't allow port forwarding:  https://support.nordvpn.com/FAQ/1047408432/Do-you-offer-port-forwarding.htm

The posts I found on reddit suggests port forwarding hasn't been enabled in at least a year or two.  Hope this helps.

Edited by dtctechs
On 4/1/2020 at 2:49 PM, MightEMatt said:

Latest update broke automatic torrent management. Ive deleted image and config and reinstalled several times. Default torrent management mode changed to automatic on every reinstall. 3 folders for watch (monitored), incomplete (keep incomplete in), and complete (default save path).

All torrents are added without fail in manual mode and end up getting downloaded and seeded from the watch folder. As soon as I right click on the individual torrent and check the automatic management box, it immediately gets moved to the correct folder and works as it should.

I am having this problem as well.

3 hours ago, dtctechs said:

NordVPN doesn't allow port forwarding:  https://support.nordvpn.com/FAQ/1047408432/Do-you-offer-port-forwarding.htm

The posts I found on reddit suggests port forwarding hasn't been enabled in at least a year or two.  Hope this helps.

Yeah., I saw that too.  Regardless of port forwarding, I was always able to torrent at close to full speed.  As of late I can't get above about 600 KB/s total.  I've tried using Deluge as well as a non-VPN qB docker, and the problem is definitely related to going through the VPN.

is there a way to update this docker container without loosing  any config or anything?

this was running great untell recently, im getting some errors

2020-04-05 00:10:59stdout

2020-04-05 00:10:59stdout[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

2020-04-05 00:10:59stdout[info] 11 retries left

2020-04-05 00:10:59stdout[warn] Exit code 7 from curl != 0

2020-04-05 00:10:59stdout[warn] Response code 000 from curl != 2xx

2020-04-05 00:10:59stdout2020-04-04 17:10:59,834 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:

2020-04-05 00:10:49stdout

2020-04-05 00:10:49stdout[info] Successfully retrieved external IP address 172.xx.xx.xx

2020-04-05 00:10:49stdout2020-04-04 17:10:49,954 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:

2020-04-05 00:10:49stdout

2020-04-05 00:10:49stdout[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

2020-04-05 00:10:49stdout[info] 12 retries left

2020-04-05 00:10:49stdout[warn] Exit code 7 from curl != 0

2020-04-05 00:10:49stdout[warn] Response code 000 from curl != 2xx

2020-04-05 00:10:49stdout2020-04-04 17:10:49,744 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:

would this error be related to this, https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/news/posts/march-31-2020-port-forwarding-issues

cuz i have been using canada servers because of port forwrding

edit,,  i changed strict port forwarding variable  from yes to no and i stoped getting those messages... is this safe?

Edited by d3funct

Hello Binhex!

Thank you for your amazing work! I especially love this qBittorrent/VPN combo, gives me such piece of mind.  

I am having trouble where this container seems to have just stopped.  I had it behind a reverse proxy LetsEncript and it had its own DNS (not subfolder) and it worked great.  Then I had to switch things up and I made it a subfolder and it stopped working.  However, I do not think this is the problem because it would still work when trying to access it from my local network (localhost:8080) but that has since ceased to work without any obvious reason. I only get the 'Site cannot be reached' and reloading doesn't work.  I have tried to clear cookies and use different browser with no luck.  On top of this, I also use your amazing Radarr container as well as the Krusader one and neither of those will load either, not from the reverse proxy subfolder or localhost. I didn't touch any of the container settings from the time it worked to the time it stopped. Only thing that has changed was the subfolder (nothing changed for Radarr or Krusader and Krusader is not behind reverse proxy)

Things I have tried:

Stopping and restarting the container

Stopping/restarting Letsencrypt

Deleting config file

Updating to latest

Downgrading to 4.1.9 (last working for me)

Checked for port conflicts and didn't find any

Log is full of this:

2020-04-04 22:03:49,560 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Response code 000 from curl != 2xx
[warn] Exit code 7 from curl != 0
[info] 5 retries left
[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

Any help you can offer I would greatly appreciate it!

• Like 1
On 4/2/2020 at 11:26 PM, binhex said:

if you are using a vpn then no, dont do this, see here Q14:-

from that answer:

3. You have configured the application to use the assigned port - For PIA users this is done automatically for you, for other providers you will need to manually set the application to use the port assigned to you.

This means setting the host port to whatever port I am forwarding from my VPN provider, right?

This means setting the host port to whatever port I am forwarding from my VPN provider, right?

No it had nothing to do with the host or your router/firewall, as stated you only need to set the port for the application, in this case that is qbitorrent

2 minutes ago, binhex said:

No it had nothing to do with the host or your router/firewall, as stated you only need to set the port for the application, in this case that is qbitorrent

OK now I'm confused.  Assuming AirVPN forwards port 9999 for me, are you saying I don't need to touch the Host Ports (-p 58846:58846 as mentioned on https://github.com/binhex/arch-delugevpn) but I need to set my incoming port to 9999 in Deluge's web UI?

Sorry if I'm being slow about this.  Thanks for your patience and your great work on these dockers!

OK now I'm confused.  Assuming AirVPN forwards port 9999 for me, are you saying I don't need to touch the Host Ports (-p 58846:58846 as mentioned on https://github.com/binhex/arch-delugevpn) but I need to set my incoming port to 9999 in Deluge's web UI? Sorry if I'm being slow about this.  Thanks for your patience and your great work on these dockers!

You simply set the incoming port in qbitorrent to 9999, job done. Please highlight where I state you need to set this on the host so I can fix the documentation. 

Ahh I think I see the confusion, port 58846 is only required if you set vpn_enabled to no.

17 minutes ago, binhex said:

You simply set the incoming port in qbitorrent to 9999, job done. Please highlight where I state you need to set this on the host so I can fix the documentation. 

Ahh I think I see the confusion, port 58846 is only required if you set vpn_enabled to no.

Thank you @binhex for the clarification!

On 4/5/2020 at 3:07 AM, Drumhavoc said:

Hello Binhex!

Thank you for your amazing work! I especially love this qBittorrent/VPN combo, gives me such piece of mind.  

I am having trouble where this container seems to have just stopped.  I had it behind a reverse proxy LetsEncript and it had its own DNS (not subfolder) and it worked great.  Then I had to switch things up and I made it a subfolder and it stopped working.  However, I do not think this is the problem because it would still work when trying to access it from my local network (localhost:8080) but that has since ceased to work without any obvious reason. I only get the 'Site cannot be reached' and reloading doesn't work.  I have tried to clear cookies and use different browser with no luck.  On top of this, I also use your amazing Radarr container as well as the Krusader one and neither of those will load either, not from the reverse proxy subfolder or localhost. I didn't touch any of the container settings from the time it worked to the time it stopped. Only thing that has changed was the subfolder (nothing changed for Radarr or Krusader and Krusader is not behind reverse proxy)

Things I have tried:

Stopping and restarting the container

Stopping/restarting Letsencrypt

Deleting config file

Updating to latest

Downgrading to 4.1.9 (last working for me)

Checked for port conflicts and didn't find any

Log is full of this:

2020-04-04 22:03:49,560 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Response code 000 from curl != 2xx
[warn] Exit code 7 from curl != 0
[info] 5 retries left
[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

Any help you can offer I would greatly appreciate it!

see Q10:-

New to Unraid and this is my first docker! I'm envious of anyone who can set this up in 15 mins! I've finally got myself logged into the Qbit WebUI and I started my first torrent but after an initial bump of speed it quickly drops to 0 and stalls indefinitely! I'm not sure where to go from this point and I think I need a break, 3 hours+ so far? lol. I'm not seeing anything in the logs to help me out. Do any changes have to be made in the connection tab or is the default port and all those settings already optimal?

Also did you guys know that it looks like Netherlands and Toronto are no longer in the port forwarding list according to the log? I had to connect to Sweden and use the PIA OpenVPN configurator for it with the 1st recommended option.

I can post logs if needed. Any help would be appreciated! I'd really like to retire my dedicated torrenting laptop now that I have an Unraid server!