[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN


binhex

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, binhex said:

have you also changed the template to reflect the port change?, im assuming we are talking about the functionality of left click icon, select webui right?, if so then left click icon, select edit and then toggle 'advanced view' and edit the port for 'WebUI', for instance mine looks like this:-

http://[IP]:[PORT:2100]/

which means when i click on the webui link for the app it takes me to unraid host ip and port 2100, you will need to alter this to be what the new port is now defined as for your second instance.

 

Yes I have- 

qbit4.PNG.0f960e9cf4d830b96b4a6cfae84a567a.PNG

 

I also changed the ports-

 

qbit6.PNG.db56ed6d0a1617a37050f4bac48dca4c.PNG

 

And finally added the webUI port and deleted the original config on it-

qbit5.PNG.c2d14c7b8ff7fece8a219a2dd8b553f7.PNG

 

I tried deleting it and starting fresh, still directed to the original 8080. Interestingly despite my settings in the config file it still showed the port as 8080. When changed there to 8081 and saved it still brings up port 8080, so that wasn't it. 

I feel like there must be something small I'm missing but I have no idea what it is?

Link to comment

Hi folks!

 

First I wanna thank binhex for these incredible images. I'm already making good use of the plex image and doing my best to get this qbittorrent image to work alright.

 

The issue I'm having is zero upload speed. 99% of the time my upload speed is 0 B/s. I have seen it jump up to somewhere in the double digit KiB/s range before quickly dropping back down. My download speeds aren't great either.

 

I have a feeling this is some kind of port forwarding issue. I've tried torrents from different sources with different trackers and I have the same problem every time. I've been poring over google searches and spending a lot of time in this topic already and I can't seem to figure it out.

 

Can anyone point me to a resource to start eliminating possible issues, or take me through trying to diagnose this?

 

Thanks!

cak

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Matt0925 said:

 

Yes I have- 

qbit4.PNG.0f960e9cf4d830b96b4a6cfae84a567a.PNG

 

I also changed the ports-

 

qbit6.PNG.db56ed6d0a1617a37050f4bac48dca4c.PNG

 

And finally added the webUI port and deleted the original config on it-

qbit5.PNG.c2d14c7b8ff7fece8a219a2dd8b553f7.PNG

 

I tried deleting it and starting fresh, still directed to the original 8080. Interestingly despite my settings in the config file it still showed the port as 8080. When changed there to 8081 and saved it still brings up port 8080, so that wasn't it. 

I feel like there must be something small I'm missing but I have no idea what it is?

the above all looks good to me, however i dont see a screenshot confirming you have change WEBUI_PORT env var, this is important and must also be changed, in your case to 8081, screenshot showing mine (2100 for me):-

image.thumb.png.b931703eae7bd02eeef069ae526e8edc.png

Link to comment
5 hours ago, cak said:

Hi folks!

 

First I wanna thank binhex for these incredible images. I'm already making good use of the plex image and doing my best to get this qbittorrent image to work alright.

 

The issue I'm having is zero upload speed. 99% of the time my upload speed is 0 B/s. I have seen it jump up to somewhere in the double digit KiB/s range before quickly dropping back down. My download speeds aren't great either.

 

I have a feeling this is some kind of port forwarding issue. I've tried torrents from different sources with different trackers and I have the same problem every time. I've been poring over google searches and spending a lot of time in this topic already and I can't seem to figure it out.

 

Can anyone point me to a resource to start eliminating possible issues, or take me through trying to diagnose this?

 

Thanks!

cak

sounds very much like a port forwarding issue, lets being with some logs, do this:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, cak said:

Thanks for the response! Here's the log file.

supervisord.log 105.26 kB · 1 download

ok so port forwarding is not your issue here, as you are using pia and its scripted to do it all for you, ensure that the 'VPN incoming port is XXXX' matches the port shown in the web ui for qbittorrent, if that looks ok (which i expect it will) then just verify that your incomplete and completed folders are also set correctly, screenshot would confirm this.

Link to comment
29 minutes ago, binhex said:

ok so port forwarding is not your issue here, as you are using pia and its scripted to do it all for you, ensure that the 'VPN incoming port is XXXX' matches the port shown in the web ui for qbittorrent, if that looks ok (which i expect it will) then just verify that your incomplete and completed folders are also set correctly, screenshot would confirm this.

I think this is everything you've asked for. There's a screenshot that verifies the ports matching, one that confirms the directory structure, and the logs from the most recent run of qBittorrent. In all cases torrents were anonymized with inspect element/manually editing output.

 

Do I need to do anything with port forwarding in my home router settings? Or is that all managed by PIA?

correct_directories.png

correct_port.png

qbittorrent.log

Link to comment
1 hour ago, cak said:

Do I need to do anything with port forwarding in my home router settings?

nope that is not necessary, so def dont do that, does qbittorrent give you a hint as to the issue?, i see they are in an 'errored' state, expand/click on it and see if it gives you a hint as to the issue.

 

btw port forwarding all looks good to me, you could also rule out permissions issues here by temporarily setting the incomplete location to /tmp, this will then write downloads to fs inside the container, if it improved things then you know the issue is related to the volume bind for /data (permissions or filesystem issues).

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, binhex said:

nope that is not necessary, so def dont do that, does qbittorrent give you a hint as to the issue?, i see they are in an 'errored' state, expand/click on it and see if it gives you a hint as to the issue.

 

btw port forwarding all looks good to me, you could also rule out permissions issues here by temporarily setting the incomplete location to /tmp, this will then write downloads to fs inside the container, if it improved things then you know the issue is related to the volume bind for /data (permissions or filesystem issues).

 

 

The errored state seems to have been an unrelated issue. I restarted the container and then restarted those torrents and they were able to download without issue. Moving them all into the container at /tmp didn't make a difference except maybe with transfer speed because of the kind of drive it was using. I moved everything back to where it was and I am getting good download speeds.

 

I'm not sure which change made the difference, but the completed torrent that I am seeding is now uploading very slowly, less than 50 KiB/s. The other two still show zero.

 

I can check my router's bandwidth monitor to this device. When the torrents are paused there is zero activity in either direction. When they resume the bandwidth monitor reports about 10-100x the transmission in both directions than the torrent client does. 5-10 Mb/s upload instead of 50 KiB/s. 300 Mb/s download instead of 30 Mib/s. This seems like a whole lot for protocol or encryption overhead. Any idea why this might be?

Link to comment

I use a VPN to remotely access my Unraid webUI, *ARR dockers, etc.  I'm able to access webUI's for all my dockers, except for qbittorrentvpn.  The webUI is accessible when I'm on the LAN, but not remotely via VPN.   I just get a time out error.

 

Is there something I need to change in order to enable this?  What do you need from me in order to provide some guidance?

Link to comment
2 hours ago, cak said:

I can check my router's bandwidth monitor to this device. When the torrents are paused there is zero activity in either direction. When they resume the bandwidth monitor reports about 10-100x the transmission in both directions than the torrent client does. 5-10 Mb/s upload instead of 50 KiB/s. 300 Mb/s download instead of 30 Mib/s. This seems like a whole lot for protocol or encryption overhead. Any idea why this might be?

no idea on the mismatch, even when assuming bits vs bytes thats a big difference, the encryption overhead im seeing is around 5-10% max, so its pretty low and not what you are seeing.

 

just some other things you can try, take a look at Q6 regards tweaks to improve dl/ul speeds:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

Link to comment

Hi. I've been having a bit of issue with my connection status, it's constantly yellow, which I believe to be firewalled or port related. I'm using Wireguard, but I'm hosting the Wireguard server on a remote server I have. I'm able to transfer data, so the Wireguard connection is good, it's just not going green.

 

I'm at a bit of a loss as where to start and was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I don't know if I need to change something in the docker config or on my Wireguard server.

Link to comment
49 minutes ago, binhex said:

no idea on the mismatch, even when assuming bits vs bytes thats a big difference, the encryption overhead im seeing is around 5-10% max, so its pretty low and not what you are seeing.

 

just some other things you can try, take a look at Q6 regards tweaks to improve dl/ul speeds:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

Thanks! I'm gonna look into my vpn config next and try some of the things you recommended. It's in a much more usable state than it was when I started so I'm happy.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, cak said:

Thanks! I'm gonna look into my vpn config next and try some of the things you recommended. It's in a much more usable state than it was when I started so I'm happy.

cool, thanks for the donation, its appreciated.

Link to comment
18 hours ago, binhex said:

the above all looks good to me, however i dont see a screenshot confirming you have change WEBUI_PORT env var, this is important and must also be changed, in your case to 8081, screenshot showing mine (2100 for me):-

image.thumb.png.b931703eae7bd02eeef069ae526e8edc.png

 

I had done this by using the add another path, port, variable, label or device option- 

qbit6.PNG.0ce363c6bc48a67049f73b0f268e17d5.PNG

 

Should I have named it WEBUI_PORT like you did? Though after seeing your example I tried changing key 8 like you have done and still no change. 

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Matt0925 said:

Should I have named it WEBUI_PORT like you did?

i think there is some confusion here, so you need to set 'variable' (not 'port') with key name WEBUI_PORT and the 'value' has to be the port number you want, this variable should already exist, you want to set the value to 8081. next up you need to 'remove' the 'port' for 8080 for this container, then add a 'port' and set it to 8081 for 'container port' and 'host port', dont worry about setting anything else. last step is to edit the 'WebUI' entry (requires 'advanced view' toggled on) and set the port to 8081 (see my previous screenshot above). 

 

if you are still stuck then switch on 'advanced view' and post a screenshot showing all settings, mask out username and password though.

Link to comment
On 1/19/2022 at 4:43 AM, binhex said:

have you also changed the template to reflect the port change?, im assuming we are talking about the functionality of left click icon, select webui right?, if so then left click icon, select edit and then toggle 'advanced view' and edit the port for 'WebUI', for instance mine looks like this:-

http://[IP]:[PORT:2100]/

which means when i click on the webui link for the app it takes me to unraid host ip and port 2100, you will need to alter this to be what the new port is now defined as for your second instance.

 

I've also encountered this issue.  I created a new key:value pair for the webui, and changed the webui element and it still doesn't take me to the correct port.

 

Attached my xml to verify.  Also I'm on 6.9.2

 

EDIT: Interestingly my new container has the webui_port key as number 9 because of the VPN_CLIENT key being added.  binhex i noticed your webui_port key is on 8 which makes me question if something happened when adding the vpn_client key.

copy-my-binhex-qbittorrentvpn-Sonarr.xml

Edited by Blairwin
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Blairwin said:

I've also encountered this issue.  I created a new key:value pair for the webui, and changed the webui element and it still doesn't take me to the correct port.

yep yours looks correctly set, try a different browser, if that works then its probably a caching issue, if it doesnt work try a restart of unraid, if STILL no go then you need to raise this in the general support section of the forum, as the web ui link is an unraid function not related to this image.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, binhex said:

yep yours looks correctly set, try a different browser, if that works then its probably a caching issue, if it doesnt work try a restart of unraid, if STILL no go then you need to raise this in the general support section of the forum, as the web ui link is an unraid function not related to this image.

 

Thanks for the double check!  I've tried all of that multiple times and still not working.  I'll go to support and see if they can work it out.

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Blairwin said:

 

Thanks for the double check!  I've tried all of that multiple times and still not working.  I'll go to support and see if they can work it out.

sorry just to double check, you CAN get to the web ui via the custom port by entering it directly into your web browser, its just the 'web ui' link when you left click the icon that isnt working, right?

Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Blairwin said:

EDIT: Interestingly my new container has the webui_port key as number 9 because of the VPN_CLIENT key being added.  binhex i noticed your webui_port key is on 8 which makes me question if something happened when adding the vpn_client key.

yeah dont worry about the 'Name' of the variable its of no significance, its the actual 'Key' and 'Value' for the variable that matters.

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, binhex said:

sorry just to double check, you CAN get to the web ui via the custom port by entering it directly into your web browser, its just the 'web ui' link when you left click the icon that isnt working, right?

 

Correct.  I can enter my IP:Port manually to open the UI.  The WebUI link in Unraid doesn't work it sends me to the default 8080 port instead of my custom port.

Link to comment
20 hours ago, dyno said:

I use a VPN to remotely access my Unraid webUI, *ARR dockers, etc.  I'm able to access webUI's for all my dockers, except for qbittorrentvpn.  The webUI is accessible when I'm on the LAN, but not remotely via VPN.   I just get a time out error.

 

Is there something I need to change in order to enable this?  What do you need from me in order to provide some guidance?

did you find a solution to this? i'm having the same issue.

Link to comment

@dyno @Cpt. Chaz the solution is simple, add the vpn network range to LAN_NETWORK, for example assuming a vpn network of 192.168.10.x and a lan network of 192.168.1.x i would define LAN_NETWORK as follows:-

 

192.168.1.0/24,192.168.10.0/24

if you need more networks, just keep adding them comma separated. 

 

edit - gonna turn this into a faq.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.