[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

On 3/2/2019 at 8:20 PM, Kaallis said:

Hi,

I did some speed tests and I can't figure out why docker is slower than other options...

- qbittorrentvpn docker with vpn enabled (tested both PIA and usenetserver): can't break 1.5mb

- qbittorrentvpn docker with vpn disabled: 10 to 15 mb/s

- qbittorrent installed on windows, and PIA desktop connected on same host, port forwarded: 10 to 15mb/s

- qbittorrent without PIA on desktop: 30 to 40mb/s

Is there some configurations I can do in the docker to make it behave faster when connected to vpn?

Hi Kaalis, did you ever get this fixed? Topping out at 2 MiB/s here.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:10 PM, RubiksCube said:

Did you have to do anything else to get this working? I have unrar installed through nerdpack plugin but can't get this to work.

No, I think that was all I did. But I am not using qbit anymore. Maybe something has changed in the docker template since then? If you open a terman to the container, can you run unrar from there?

2 hours ago, bally12345 said:

I was having issues again with this and deluge pia vpn (France) maxing out around 1Mb/s

I have just installed binhex-privoxy and going to try just using this minus vpn and enter proxy settings instead.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sounds like the same problem I described above. Would love a fix to this, as 90% of potential bandwidth is missing. It's the final piece to my server's puzzle.

Edited by thatsthefrickenlightning
Sounds like the same problem I described above. Would love a fix to this, as 90% of potential bandwidth is missing. It's the final piece to my server's puzzle.
I did temporarily fix it in deluge using the itconfig plugin and disabling tcp udp upload but don't know if it works anymore

3 hours ago, thatsthefrickenlightning said:

Alright. To be sure, are you talking about the enable_outgoing_tcp/udp or enable_incoming_tcp/udp?

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44109-support-binhex-delugevpn/?do=findComment&comment=725104

Installed itconfig Plugin and disabled enable_incoming_utp and enable_outgoing_utp 

I have tried enabling Proxy Settings in qBit through Tools > Options [Connections] / Proxy Server

image.png.c4e13141bca1f998e53576207a3eb68f.png

But the max download speed I can get is around 2MiB/s

Remove those settings and I can download 45MiB/s

Edited by bally12345
40 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44109-support-binhex-delugevpn/?do=findComment&comment=725104

Installed itconfig Plugin and disabled enable_incoming_utp and enable_outgoing_utp 

I have tried enabling Proxy Settings in qBit through Tools > Options [Connections] / Proxy Server

image.png.c4e13141bca1f998e53576207a3eb68f.png

But the max download speed I can get is around 2MiB/s

Remove those settings and I can download 45MiB/s

Wow, that tweak does work on Deluge! Very nice. However, on each launch, I need to enable the plug-in, apply the settings and pause & resume the torrents for it to work. Does it do that for you as well?

As for QB, I'm not sure which settings you're disabling exactly. Set Proxy Server Type to (none)? It's already on that for me.

Edit: however, in QB, simply changing 'Enabled protocol' from 'TCP and UTP' to 'TCP' has unlocked my speeds. But that wasn't what you were referring to, right? I'm sorry, it's late and I'm tired and I should go to bed instead of wrestling my server, but I don't wanna. :P

Edited by thatsthefrickenlightning
  • Like 1
Wow, that tweak does work on Deluge! Very nice. However, on each launch, I need to enable the plug-in, apply the settings and pause & resume the torrents for it to work. Does it do that for you as well?

As for QB, I'm not sure which settings you're disabling exactly. Set Proxy Server Type to (none)? It's already on that for me.

Edit: however, in QB, simply changing 'Enabled protocol' from 'TCP and UTP' to 'TCP' has unlocked my speeds. But that wasn't what you were referring to, right? I'm sorry, it's late and I'm tired and I should go to bed instead of wrestling my server, but I don't wanna.
Ahh that's why it probably stopped working for me! I didn't re-enable each time.

Switched to qbit for now but might move back to deluge...

Tried to setting to TCP only as suggested and that works fine get around 20MiB/s

Instead of using the built in VPN I am now using Binhex-privoxy docker and will manually set each app to use it

37f84b83be2f0d9cdc046c068219dde7.jpg

Ahh that's why it probably stopped working for me! I didn't re-enable each time.

Switched to qbit for now but might move back to deluge...

Tried to setting to TCP only as suggested and that works fine get around 20MiB/s

Instead of using the built in VPN I am now using Binhex-privoxy docker and will manually set each app to use it

37f84b83be2f0d9cdc046c068219dde7.jpg&key=6886c38640ce75bd7994038cd77489add8efbc02febf54b3c8b8186c02a59b18

Privoxy is only able to proxy http(s) traffic, it is not a socks proxy, and therefore if you configure a torrent client to use it then you will only be proxying http(s) traffic, all other traffic will be going via your ISP and thus IP leakage will occur.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Privoxy is only able to proxy http(s) traffic, it is not a socks proxy, and therefore if you configure a torrent client to use it then you will only be proxying http(s) traffic, all other traffic will be going via your ISP and thus IP leakage will occur.

In that case il probably just switch back to binhex-delugevpn

On 5/25/2019 at 10:40 AM, binhex said:

Ooof...

At what point would it be easier to just have a VPN client container with a built-in firewall that I connect official/any downloading dockers to as tunnel and with a killswitch?

That's all I want. Would also only need to run one VPN connection at a time and be able to use it for, well, anything.

As it is, I'm limited to HTTPS and trusting the docker not leaking through background processes or somehow else.

I just wanna set up qBittorrent, SABnzbd and JDownloader and maybe who knows anything else I might want to add in the future and tell them all on "system-level" within the docker to use the VPN docker's tunnel as network interface or bust.

There, no reason to "trust" any given app I may want to tunnel.

Or am I missing something here because of the glaring lack of a simple one-stop solution for this? Is there any hurdle?

Or am I in the end of the day better off setting up a VM for this with the official client app? Would love to keep it lightweight though and manageable through the docker section.

Cheers!

PS: Would it be possible to add NordVPN to the pre-configured providers?

On 5/27/2019 at 4:37 AM, Glassed Silver said:

That's all I want. Would also only need to run one VPN connection at a time and be able to use it for, well, anything.

yeah its the 'anything' bit thats hard here, you cant just drop apps in and have them use the tunnel automatically and securely, it takes a lot of config (iptables), effort and testing (my time is limited), there is no one stop solution for this cos its hard to do.

On 5/27/2019 at 4:37 AM, Glassed Silver said:

Or am I in the end of the day better off setting up a VM for this with the official client app? Would love to keep it lightweight though and manageable through the docker section.

if you want something right now that you can drop any app into, then yep vm is your best bet, traditional killswitches though are less secure than what i have coded up here, but they are still pretty reliable and used by a lot of people.

3 hours ago, binhex said:

yeah its the 'anything' bit thats hard here, you cant just drop apps in and have them use the tunnel automatically and securely, it takes a lot of config (iptables), effort and testing (my time is limited), there is no one stop solution for this cos its hard to do.

if you want something right now that you can drop any app into, then yep vm is your best bet, traditional killswitches though are less secure than what i have coded up here, but they are still pretty reliable and used by a lot of people.

Interesting. Do you know why traditional kill switches are so unreliable? Mind you, I don't mean a kill switch that kills a specific app if the VPN app sees a connection go down. My experience on my Mac is pretty much that I'll often see a page not loading even before the VPN app tells me the connection died and then proceeds to re-establish a new connection.

I hear what you say, that configuration is time consuming and I definitely don't want to sound like I'm not grateful for your dedication and helping out the community, obviously you don't limit your app choice for no reason and do all the work when it's not necessary, however I feel like the whole time I had been using VPN network kill switches under the assumption they are reliable and now it's all just a lie?

Would it be possible to set up something like a virtual router in a VM that's more reliable and then wire it up to dockers?

Again, not like I wouldn't like to use your docker apps, but in Germany for example one click hosters are HUGE. Guess that's because they let you monetize downloads aggressively. Obviously I would love to avoid them entirely, but German torrents are often dead a LOT faster than English ones for example. I guess those issues are very similar beyond the English speaking hemisphere.

10 hours ago, binhex said:

Hmm, very interesting. Thank you for the explanation. :)

I think it's reasonable to assume that a VPN'd Privoxy docker provides more value than a VM setup for a JDownloader instance.

Since all it does is establish connections to OCHs not through APIs but acting as a browser (afaik) it'll be going through that all the times anyways.

Either way, successfully set up SABnzbdvpn already - rest to follow, seems to be working wonderfully!

Edited by Glassed Silver
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to get some help on an issue I just started having. I seem to be having some permissions issues that randomly started happening. Everything was working fine -- and has for a long time -- but now whenever a torrent is added to the download client it starts to download, shows that I'm connected to peers, and the download speed will start increasing. But the percentage done stays at 0% and the speed will go to 0 and stall. This happens for torrents added manually as well as those from Sonarr and Radarr.

The logs show a bunch of I/O errors and failure to moves due to permissions being denied. But like I said, this just started happening and I haven't changed any settings in any dockers or in unRAID.

(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:44 - qBittorrent v4.1.6 started
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - qBittorrent is trying to listen on any interface port: 30240
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - Peer ID: -qB4160-
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - HTTP User-Agent is 'qBittorrent/4.1.6'
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - DHT support [ON]
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - Local Peer Discovery support [ON]
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - PeX support [ON]
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - Anonymous mode [OFF]
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - Encryption support [ON]
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - Embedded Tracker [OFF]
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - GeoIP database loaded. Type: GeoLite2-Country. Build time: Mon Jun 3 07:29:52 2019.
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - Using built-in Web UI.
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:45 - Web UI translation for selected locale (en) has been successfully loaded.
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - Web UI: Now listening on IP: *, port: 8080
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface :: port: TCP/30240
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface 0.0.0.0 port: TCP/30240
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface 0.0.0.0 port: UDP/30240
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - 'TORRENT 1' restored.
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - 'TORRENT 2' restored.
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - Web UI: Now listening on IP: *, port: 8080
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - qBittorrent is trying to listen on any interface port: 43284
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface :: port: TCP/43284
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface 0.0.0.0 port: TCP/43284
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface 0.0.0.0 port: UDP/43284
(C) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - Could not move torrent: 'TORRENT 2'. Reason: TORRENT 2 storage move failed. mkdir (): Permission denied
(C) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - Could not move torrent: 'TORRENT 1'. Reason: TORRENT 1 storage move failed. mkdir (): Permission denied
(I) 2019-06-11T10:22:46 - External IP: 46.246.123.85
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:52 - An I/O error occurred, 'TORRENT 1' paused. TORRENT 1 mkdir (/data/TORRENT 1/TORRENT 1) error: Permission denied
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:54 - WebAPI login success. IP: ::ffff:192.168.1.16
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:56 - An I/O error occurred, 'TORRENT 2' paused. TORRENT 2 mkdir (/data/TORRENT 2/TORRENT 2 error: Permission denied
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:56 - WebAPI login success. IP: ::ffff:172.17.0.1
(N) 2019-06-11T10:22:57 - WebAPI login success. IP: ::ffff:172.17.0.1
(C) 2019-06-11T10:24:08 - Could not move torrent: 'TORRENT 2'. Reason: TORRENT 2 storage move failed. mkdir (): Permission denied
(N) 2019-06-11T10:24:19 - An I/O error occurred, 'TORRENT 1' paused. TORRENT 1 mkdir (/data/TORRENT 1/TORRENT 1) error: Permission denied
(C) 2019-06-11T10:24:19 - Could not move torrent: 'TORRENT 1'. Reason: TORRENT 1 storage move failed. mkdir (): Permission denied

I've restarted the docker, rebooted the unRAID server, tried to force recheck the torrents and none of it will get the torrents to actually start downloading. I just keep getting the permission denied messages. It was working last night before I went to sleep, so I don't know what's going on. The only thing I can think of that happened over night is the Mover invoking and moving files from my cache.

Any help for this issue would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm having problems getting the qB VPN docker image running correctly (using PIA). I've worked through the newbie setup guide (I'm a newbie) various applicable FAQs, but when I hit up localhost:8080 (where it should be), I get nothing (unable to connect error, like the page doesn't exist). If I disable VPN in the container, it works fine, but if it's enabled...nothing.

I did the steps to enable debug and in the supervisord.log file, near the end I see the following

2019-06-12 21:43:28,892 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
Error: error sending query: Could not send or receive, because of network error

2019-06-12 21:43:28,897 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[crit] ca-toronto.privateinternetaccess.com cannot be resolved, possible DNS issues

So it looks like that's the problem, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've attached the full supervisord.log file (with username and password changed to protect the "innocent"). Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

supervisord.log

Edited by ST_Lawson
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I could not find it in the documentation, but what is port 6881 needed for?

I assume Privoxy listens on 8118, and the qBittorrent web UI listens on 8080.

Also, to change the qBitorrent web UI listening port to 12345, is the following correct?: 

1. change environment variable WEBUI_PORT to 12345 (this sets qBittorrent.conf [Preferences]\WebUI\Port=12345)

2. map a docker port 12345:12345

3. delete the 8080:8080 mapping

edit

June 6, 2019 I should add that I deleted the -p 8080:8080 mapping because now it's useless.

Edited by m8ty
clarified deleting 8080 mapping
On 6/22/2019 at 9:36 AM, m8ty said:

Also, to change the qBitorrent web UI listening port to 12345, is the following correct?: 

1. change environment variable WEBUI_PORT to 12345 (this sets qBittorrent.conf [Preferences]\WebUI\Port=12345)

2. map a docker port 12345:12345

3. delete the 8080:8080 mapping

Also wondering how to change the webUI port. 

I've changed it within qBittorrent settings, and in the conf file, and played with mappings, and nothing seems to work.

Done the above in various combinations, I guess i'm doing something in the wrong order?

Some direction would be much appreciated.

5 hours ago, benneb2 said:

I've changed it within qBittorrent settings, and in the conf file, and played with mappings, and nothing seems to work.

Done the above in various combinations, I guess i'm doing something in the wrong order?

Some direction would be much appreciated.

If you correctly mapped the new port, and you correctly set the WEBUI_PORT environment variable

eg: to set the port to 8090 you need to set -p 8090:8090 and -e WEBUI_PORT=8090

Now the qBittorrent.conf should have been automatically set to WebUI\Port=8090 now I think

You could try this troubleshooting tip taken from the linuxserver/docker-qbittorrent container readme.md https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-qbittorrent#webui_port-variable

If you have no webui , check the file /config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf  

edit or add the following lines  

```
WebUI\Address=*

WebUI\ServerDomains=*
```

Lastly, binhex-qbittorrentvpn doesn't like it when I launch the WebUI from http://tower/Docker page, I get a blank white screen.  So I directly visit in my browser http://192.168.88.8:8090/

6 hours ago, benneb2 said:

If you're talking about the drop down when you click the app's icon on the docker/dashboard tab, then you need to (probably enable template authoring mode in settings, docker), edit the app, switch to advanced view, and adjust the WebUI entry accordingly.