Folding

mrbilky

1 minute ago, Squid said:

There's a folding at home app in the Apps tab

Hey squid thanks guess I should be a little clearer wanted to hear some opinions on things like resource allocation and overall experience such as security and even power consumption I'm folding as we speak just looking for some insight seems to be working well I opted for the passkey to make more secure

18 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

power consumption

Depending upon your settings, it will max out your cpu

18 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

opted for the passkey

Personally, I couldn't care less if everyone in the world decided to fold under my account #.  More people folding the better.  Whomever gets credit is secondary

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Personally, I couldn't care less if everyone in the world decided to fold under my account #.  More people folding the better.  Whomever gets credit is secondary

I see so the passkey is not to secure the server as much as the account well either way my contribution will still be there so that's the point of this exercise. And I'm maxed out on the processor to see how hot it gets never had anything close to full load I have a kill a watt meter I'll set up and see what type of load i'm drawing my cpu is a 65 watt tdp part so all things considered it amounts to a light bulb being on not bad if that's the case

Personally, I do the folding through a VM rather than as the container.

The container has a few drawbacks.  

1. It can't tell idle / not idle, so effectively it always folds
  2. No GPU support
  3. Doesn't support the latest work units, so it sometimes winds up being idle.

Since the VM (with a GPU passthrough) is effectively always on, it makes more sense to fold there as it

1. Knows idle / not idle
  2. Supports the GPU
  3. Works with the latest work units.
27 minutes ago, Squid said:

Personally, I do the folding through a VM rather than as the container.

The container has a few drawbacks.  

1. It can't tell idle / not idle, so effectively it always folds
  2. No GPU support
  3. Doesn't support the latest work units, so it sometimes winds up being idle.

Since the VM (with a GPU passthrough) is effectively always on, it makes more sense to fold there as it

1. Knows idle / not idle
  2. Supports the GPU
  3. Works with the latest work units.

Ok good to know, I took my GPU outta my box for another rig so will have to reconsider that move or set the other rig up as well thanks for the info all good